Confused by error message: Error in assign(".popath", popath, .BaseNamespaceEnv)

Tiffany Vidal

Apr 12, 2022, 5:49:43 PM4/12/22
to devtools
I am trying to install a package and am getting an unusual (to me) error:
devtools::install_github("MikkoVihtakari/ggOceanMapsData") Error in assign(".popath", popath, .BaseNamespaceEnv) : cannot change value of locked binding for '.popath' Calls: local ... eval.parent -> eval -> eval -> eval -> eval -> assign

I have modified the R_USER, R_LIBS, HOME, etc settings to try and get R and knitr to behave. I have been successful there, but now this error. Any thoughts on what this means and how to fix the issue would be welcomed.

I found a similar post that indicated clearing the R history worked to solve the issue, but that did not for me.

It appears to be associated with the base package and ".popath is a variable created at startup which records where the translations package in use is." I have noted that the translations package does exist in my R_LIBS location.

I am not sure how to troubleshoot this error. Thanks in advance.

Session info:

R version 4.1.3 (2022-03-10)
Platform: x86_64-w64-mingw32/x64 (64-bit)
Running under: Windows 10 x64 (build 19044)

I have posted elsewhere with no luck. traceback() after the error produces nothing. It seems this may be related to devtools? Any guidance would be much appreciated.In fact, build_github_devtools() does nothing on my machine, so perhaps it is not installed properly? I receive an error saying the function cannot be found.