1/6 Stuart to M8 Howitzer?

Weston

Apr 14, 2020, 1:58:33 AM4/14/20
to R/C Tank Combat
Hello!

I am picking up one of those 1/6 Stuarts pretty cheap since it doesnt work (missing the transmitter) amd the guy has had it for 3 years amd hasn't touched it.

I know there have been a couple conversions to shoot 40 cal paintballs, bit I was wondering if it was possible to swap the turret out for the M8 with the 75mm Howitzer, so I could use standard sized more readily available paintball stuff.

I'd definitely need a lot of expert help.on this, I think first step would be to get the chassis running with a 12v SLA battery and a flysky transmitter. Get a couple ESCs and figure out how to mis the channels.I'm not too worried about any sound or smoke, just want a working tank that shoots paintballs.

Doug Conn

Apr 14, 2020, 3:06:27 PM4/14/20
to R/C Tank Combat
As far as the hobby is concerned, it's perfectly fine if the tank barrel or projectile is out of scale. You can install a standard paintball marker and be fine. We all use them. In fact, a scale cannon would have to be 100mm+. That's uncommon for most tanks, especially older ones.

If you want to make the scale correct for your own preference, that's a different story.

Do you have a link to the Stuart chassis you mentioned?

Weston

Apr 14, 2020, 7:46:45 PM4/14/20
to R/C Tank Combat

here is a picture of it, got it home. sadly while out, our new dog killed our 10 year old cat :( we had her on a foster to adopt basis to see if things would work out, and sadly they didn't so we lost 2 animals today. Since I just had to have this tank, i feel very responsible for the mess. If I could go back in time I wouldn't have gotten it, but what's done is done. I think the first thing I am going to do is name the tank and paint it on. Lily, as that was the cat's name that passed. I feel really bad and I am hating myself, I am surprised my wife isn't pissed at me about it either, so I feel it would be something I could do to honor her memory.

I have an idea of how I want to arm it. I also participate in the RC warship combats, which i have for 3 years now. My plan is to make an enlarged version of one of those cannons, that will shoot airsoft BBs. that way it should fit in the barrel or at least look very close to being correct. Also would let me shoot regular airsoft BBs, or if it does make it to a battle, i would just need to buy the special airsoft paintballs.  Still like the idea of the M8 conversion though with the big 75mm howitzer.

first step is to get it running and driving. gonna try to keep the sound system if I can though.

20200414_134057.jpg

Weston

Apr 14, 2020, 7:47:25 PM4/14/20
to R/C Tank Combat
should mention that is the hull MG sticking out the main gun's barrel

Loic Anthian

Apr 14, 2020, 8:02:42 PM4/14/20
to rctank...@googlegroups.com

Weston,

FOA has a TTMS Motorization “Lite” on one 12V battery that we are currently testing on a 21st Century Stuard M5A in the next 3-4 weeks. You can follow the progress on FOA FB ‘Build’ page https://www.facebook.com/groups/198759414009209/?ref=bookmarks

The purpose is to increase the speed of the Stuart as these tanks were quite speedy. This tank will also add the Spyker Workshop tracks/sprocket/idler (in Delrin Plastic) https://spykerworkshop.com/shop/other/injectionmoldedproducts/1-6th-m5-stuart-tracks/

The TTMS Lite was designed by The “Tyng Enterprise Inc.”, which is a trademark of quality and durability http://www.fieldofarmortanks.com/foa-ttms-l-light-r-c-motorization-system-12v-system/

Happy Large Scale Modeling!

Loic Anthian

http://www.fieldofarmortanks.com

image001.jpg
image002.jpg
Loïc Anthian.vcf

J-MaxRC

Apr 15, 2020, 6:07:52 AM4/15/20
to rctank...@googlegroups.com

Of what I understand, It was a runner already at some point so it shouldn't be difficult to start from what is already there! Unless you want to start over with what Loic propose!

Just need to see what electronic system you got in it and it should not be to hard to guide you on what to do to put it in a working state again!

Sad for your cat buddy... Sure will help to keep a good memory of her with the tank close by.

Jean-Maxime St-Pierre

--
Jean-Maxime Cyr St-Pierre

Weston

Apr 16, 2020, 12:15:32 PM4/16/20
to R/C Tank Combat
yea, my thought was that i could just gut the old stuff and for the drive just solder in connectors on the stock motors, use 2 escs, and then a mixer for drive. I'd need to figure out gun elevation and turret rotation, as i haven't opened it up yet to see how those are done. then rig in something for shooting something

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "R/C Tank Combat" group.

Jean-Maxime Cyr St-Pierre