Exploration into use of FDM 3D printing to facilitate ease of entry into the hobby of 1/6th scale RC tank combat.

~D

Mar 23, 2020, 12:54:27 PM3/23/20
to R/C Tank Combat
    The most likely reason for this hobby becoming so sparse is not lack of interest,but availability and expertise. Implementation of simple pre-designed Lego like parts that are easily printed and assembled into a variety of vehicle designs may bring this amazing hobby back into the light. Cost reduction and simplification of assembly should be priorities to this end. The use of Fused Deposition Manufacturing [FDM] integrating ready available sub-assemblies to create drive units and actuators is becoming more readily available. These larger sub-assemblies have highly reduced cost,as well as near infinite compatibility with existing models. Drive units,suspension modules, turret slewing and elevation systems as well as brackets,ammunition feed systems and exterior cosmetics can all be printed using this hybrid technique. Below you can find a summery of my ongoing preliminary investigation into the use of such hybrid manufacturing for my own future model of an STRV 103 series,with the intent of increasing performance and decreasing both complexity and cost through the use of such hybrid sub-assemblies as well as 3rd party research and improvements in this and other hobbies in regards to design,construction,drive systems and accuracy improvements in CO2 and HPA markers. Feedback on first hand experience is welcome.

~D

~D

Mar 23, 2020, 2:40:34 PM3/23/20
to R/C Tank Combat
After doing a rough estimate for pricing of the radio system,ESCs,batteries,marker,hardware for 3 FDM motors(2 for the drive-train 1 for simulated hydro-pneumatic suspension elevation), as well as the printer itself, I've found it to cost LESS than something like my stock Traxxas E-REEVO Brushless. If a viable printed marker can be made using a caliburn type large volume piston and modified servo you may be able to shave off most of the $65 allotted to the marker. this estimate does not take into account the price of any tools other than the printer. further price reduction can be done by switching torsion or spring suspension for double bogie. Im hoping to draw plans for a workable model that costs at most $1000.this would put it just within reach in my opinion.

~D

Mar 23, 2020, 3:43:45 PM3/23/20
to R/C Tank Combat
on further inspection of the creator of the FDM brushless motor,it appears he has made a tutorial for making high load FDM slew bearings of varying diameters,while the service life of these would be nowheres near that of off the shelf bearings,for extremely large and low speed applications like that of turret rings,it may be viable.

Doug Conn

Mar 31, 2020, 11:38:58 PM3/31/20
to R/C Tank Combat
Several of us have used FDM parts in our vehicles. Caleb had built a Stewart that that had a lot of FDM construction. In general, that technique is suitable for components that aren't subjected to high stresses. You may be surprised what a beating our tanks take out in the rough.

I can't imagine why someone would print their own servo or motor. There are too many reliable, low-cost alternatives out there that meet our needs.

I have been using my 3D printer lately, but it was to build a plug for a turret fiberglass mold. It's been very slow going to prepare the plug!

Loren

Apr 1, 2020, 6:55:49 PM4/1/20
to R/C Tank Combat
A lot of what you're looking at is available in better forms for decent cost, as Doug says.  The big parts that give the trouble are the body of the tank itself, which really needs to be printed in sections(if in sections at all) much larger than the 8 inches most FDM printers provide.  Larger printers are available, but by the time one buys one, gets it going well, and prints out a tank, you are one or two premade tanks' worth of money in the hole.  Might as well just buy an FOA or other tank as a kit or ready to go, especially since very few people will be building the numbers to really justify such.

I've waffled a few times between printing tanks, and using vacuum/pressure forming as is the current plan if I ever get to setting up production.  It means less tooling, but big prints like that are tricky.

Derek Engelhaupt

Apr 2, 2020, 2:26:46 AM4/2/20
to rctank...@googlegroups.com
There is a guy 3D printing a 1/6th scale Hetzer in the R/C forums.  He is doing it slices that fit on his printer.

Loren

Apr 22, 2020, 5:17:45 PM4/22/20
to R/C Tank Combat
My printer is 8 inches cubed, roughly.  I'd need to print each slice in three pieces.  If you can use angle iron or something to lock them together, that might work, but printed parts by themselves won't have much strength over the length of the tank.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "R/C Tank Combat" group.

Caleb Smith

Apr 22, 2020, 6:40:19 PM4/22/20
to R/C Tank Combat
Yeah, I built a Locust with a lot of 3d printed parts. Currently working on replacing all those parts with cast plastic or wood. They just don't hold up to the beating these tanks get. I wouldn't count on a 3d printed tank body lasting long unless you babied it, and that's no fun.
On the other hand, 3d printers are great for making masters to cast parts out of plastic. Or for making low stress mounts in the hull or turret. I doubt you could make a 3d printer hull that's stronger and cheaper than plain plywood.
Those are my thoughts anyways. 3d printing definitely has a lot of uses in this hobby, but structural parts isn't one of them, imo.

Derek Engelhaupt

Apr 23, 2020, 1:56:18 PM4/23/20
to rctank...@googlegroups.com
A 3D printed tank body could be reinforced from the inside where it can be as ugly as you want it to be.  I still like building from PVC sheets.  Cuts with my woodworking tools, easily glued with PVC glue, can be screwed together, and smooth surface unlike wood.