M1 Motor left & right?

Caleb Smith

Apr 15, 2020, 12:01:52 AM4/15/20
to R/C Tank Combat
Hey guys,
Been thinking about getting my Locust back in operation. Brushless drive is on hold till a suitable ESC solution is found. In the meantime I'm gonna install some 250w M1 style geared motors. They only come with the gearhead on one side. I thought I might have read somewhere on here that the gearhead could be switched to the other side to make it an opposite but I can't find any info atm. Is this possible? Anybody know?
Thanks!!

J-MaxRC

Apr 15, 2020, 5:55:13 AM4/15/20
to rctank...@googlegroups.com
Hey Caleb!

Here's my experiences! Yes it's possible to switch the side of the motor!

But there is a trick, or not make the mistake I did the first and second time I did..... !

-So there is 3 screws on the side of the gearbox, you need to mark the position so you can align the screws correctly.

-There is probably a alignment tab on the casing , you need to grind it off WITHOUT opening the motor appart!!!(no more than 3/16'') That the important part if you separate the gearbox or the back plate the 4 brushes will pop out of there place and it took me literaly 3h each time to wiggle them back in place by trial and error......

-Than you pivot the gearbox 45degres so that the screws holes align with one of your mark(the gearboxe got 3 screws bur the back plate got 4 position if I remenber corectly, so it should stay like it is...)

-Than you try to screw the screws back but it hard because they stick to the magnet inside.....

Hope it help you out..!

If you need more details just tell me!

Jean-Maxime Cyr St-Pierre
IMG_20200415_030524.jpg
IMG_20200415_030517.jpg

Caleb Smith

Apr 15, 2020, 8:44:22 AM4/15/20
to R/C Tank Combat
Thanks, Jean! I'll give this a try when the motors arrive.

Derek Engelhaupt

Apr 15, 2020, 6:48:11 PM4/15/20
to rctank...@googlegroups.com
I'm using the M1 style motors with no base on them.  I'll attach a pic.  The ones that have no base I did nothing to but mount them the other way.  The seem to be neutrally timed so they go the same speed forward or reverse.  As shown I mounted them in their own "sled" so they can be adjusted for tension on the chain drive.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 7:44 AM Caleb Smith <3219...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks, Jean! I'll give this a try when the motors arrive.

106118-250x250.gif
PC280008.JPG
Message has been deleted

Caleb Smith

Apr 18, 2020, 5:12:41 PM4/18/20
to R/C Tank Combat
That looks like a really nice setup! I got my motors today and it looks like they won't fit side by side like I thought so they're getting mounted in line, no need to rotate the head now. Found some #25 sprockets with the right bore and the keyway for $30. When they arrive it'll just be a matter of cutting the right length of chain and hooking it all together.
IMG_20200418_153829.jpg

J-MaxRC

Apr 18, 2020, 11:54:01 PM4/18/20
to rctank...@googlegroups.com
Nice! Sure seems to be the right way to do it given the space!

Your tank being pretty short, you will probably use some smaller battery like LIPO?!

Keep us updated man!

Le sam. 18 avr. 2020 à 17:12, Caleb Smith <3219...@gmail.com> a écrit :
That looks like a really nice setup! I got my motors today and it looks like they won't fit side by side like I thought so they're getting mounted in line, no need to rotate the head now. Found some #25 sprockets with the right bore and the keyway for $30. When they arrive it'll just be a matter of cutting the right length of chain and hooking it all together.

Jean-Maxime Cyr St-Pierre

Caleb Smith

Apr 19, 2020, 8:57:39 AM4/19/20
to R/C Tank Combat
That's right, LiPo's, probably at 24v.

Updates will be forthcoming. I'm working on making a master to cast new tracks right now.