Spam on the site: how should we deal with it?

1 view

Marc Laporte

Oct 27, 2011, 10:31:12 PM10/27/11
to rcc-planning

Peter Kaminski

Oct 27, 2011, 10:59:28 PM10/27/11
to rcc-pl...@googlegroups.com
I'd vote for "approve new registration," probably with:

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:ConfirmAccount

How should we remove the existing spam?

Pete

Jon Davis

Oct 28, 2011, 1:33:01 AM10/28/11
to rcc-pl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 19:59, Peter Kaminski <kami...@istori.com> wrote:

How should we remove the existing spam?

Pete

How about a judicious application of "Jon bashes some heads in"?  Also known as "Thermonuclear wikiwarfare" and "What spam?"

I'll see about chomping down on the spam w/o taking away everyones ability to edit (again).

-Jon

--
Jon
[[User:ShakataGaNai]] / KJ6FNQ

Dave Crosby

Oct 28, 2011, 4:22:25 AM10/28/11
to rcc-pl...@googlegroups.com

How should we remove the existing spam?

Pete

How about a judicious application of "Jon bashes some heads in"?  Also known as "Thermonuclear wikiwarfare" and "What spam?"

I'll see about chomping down on the spam w/o taking away everyones ability to edit (again).

-Jon

And I will pop in daily to remove any new stuff.

Dave

Dave Crosby

Oct 28, 2011, 4:27:28 AM10/28/11
to rcc-pl...@googlegroups.com
Or I would if were an admin, anybody help there?

Dave

Mark Dilley

Oct 28, 2011, 4:43:25 AM10/28/11
to rcc-pl...@googlegroups.com
Done

Dave Crosby

Oct 28, 2011, 4:54:02 AM10/28/11
to rcc-pl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Mark. Works fine.

Dave

Jon Davis

Oct 29, 2011, 2:52:47 AM10/29/11
to rcc-pl...@googlegroups.com
Ok. Status of things:

  • MediaWiki has been upgraded to the latest from SVN.
  • Set the wiki to require email confirmation before you can edit.  Most people have already done so, but the few of you who havent (my self included) will have to do so before you edit.
  • Since I noticed that many of the bot created accounts had confirmed email addresses (fancy lil bastards).... I've also added SimpleCaptcha to REGISTRATION ONLY.
Hopefully this will calm things down a bit.

-Jon