ZSDOS vs PIP

Phil Pin

Jun 2, 2024, 5:33:41 PMJun 2
to RC2014-Z80
One issue I have seen with ZSDOS is using PIP.  Normally I would use "Copy" but in this case, I used PIP.com on the ROM drive to copy files from it to the RAM drive.  The PIP copy completed without error but many files disappeared from the ZDOS A drive.

Using Copy instead of PIP under ZSDOS works fine and avoids the missing file problem.  Also I verified that PIP is not a problem with a CP/M 2.2 image  and a QP/M image (all the A drive files were intact).

Here is my setup:
Hardware: SC126 with compact flash board.
Software:  ROMWBR v3.4 using ZDOS image
Default Assignment:
A:=IDE0:0   (CF slice)
B:=MD0:0   (RAM drive)
C:=MD1:0   (ROM drive)
D:=IDE0:1   (CF slice)

Procedure:
1) A drive (ZSDOS) initially contains 118 files (1280K)
2) C> PIP B:=C:*.COM[V]
3) A drive (ZSDOS) now contains 76 files (932K)
Same result occurs with a ZSDOS  hd1K or a hd512 image.

What is interesting is that the only files that disappeared from the ZDOS A drive were the files that have the same exact file names that were PIP copied from the ROM drive to the RAM drive.

There is a caution posted from Mr. Warthen ...
Generic CP/M PIP and ZSDOS path searching do not mix well if you use PIP to copy to or from a directory in the ZSDOS search path.  Best to use COPY from the ZSDOS distribution.

I can verify that this is very good advice.  - Phil

Richard Deane

Jun 3, 2024, 2:20:54 AMJun 3
to rc201...@googlegroups.com
I recollect that there is a program called ppip which resolves problems with PIP, perhaps the associated doc explains what they are.
Richard

Phil Pin

Jun 3, 2024, 4:49:27 PMJun 3
to RC2014-Z80
I just tried PPIP (v 1.8) and PIPP does copy properly like ZSDOS COPY.   A small bug is that the attribute bits in the file extension of the source names are not being masked out for the output list.  That can result in a different character if the terminal supports an extended ASCII code.

D>B:
B>PPIP D:=B:*.COM /V
COPYING:
B0:PPIP    .COM to D0:PPIP    .COM - Verifying OK
B0:ASM     .ÃOM to D0:ASM     .COM - Verifying OK
B0:CLRDIR  .ÃÏM to D0:CLRDIR  .COM - Verifying OK
B0:COMPARE .ÃOM to D0:COMPARE .COM - Verifying OK

Maybe I can try a quick hack to the CONOUT call.   The PIPP distribution includes all of the assembly source files.  Thanks for your help.  - Phil