Download hex files to SCM on SC720/SC126

Gordon Wainwright

May 29, 2024, 11:35:51 AMMay 29
to RC2014-Z80
I use the Serial 2 terminal app to connect to my SC720 and SC126 SBCs.
Serial 2 is a native Apple macOS app.
However, my attempts to download a hex file, as I can do with TeraTerm running on a virtual Windows 11 OS, only locked up SCM. This required a reset, thus losing the hex file download, assuming it had downloaded.

Is there a macOS user out there using Serial 2?

Are you able to download hex files to your SCM hardware using Serial 2?
 How have you configured it?

Gordon

Michael Dadswell

May 29, 2024, 1:38:12 PMMay 29
to rc201...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gordon,

I can do this with the terminal settings 115200,8,N,1 and with no flow control selected.  Select the Binary (Raw) Transfer Protocol when Serial 2 prompts for it.
This works with a 4k hex file, I’ve not tested it with bigger files.

I normally run Serial 2 with RTS/CTS selected when working with CPM, and that works with xmodem, but with SCM you are just sending text as if it were input from the keyboard.

I hope this helps.

Mike

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steve Cousins

May 30, 2024, 4:48:32 AMMay 30
to RC2014-Z80
Michael's advice sounds good to me.

I can confirm that SCM is easily fast enough to not need any form of flow control when downloading hex files.

It is also worth noting that a reset does not clear the program memory so you shouldn't lose anything that has been downloaded. Only SCM's workspace is changed by a reset.

Steve

Gordon Wainwright

May 30, 2024, 4:48:37 AMMay 30
to RC2014-Z80
Mike
Thanks for your rf/b.
Selecting the Binary (Raw) transfer protocol, as you advised, solved my problem.

Regards
Gordon