RC2014 power supplies

Chris Murphy

Jul 3, 2024, 5:31:32 PM (23 hours ago) Jul 3
to RC2014-Z80
Hi all, just got my RC2014 Zed Pro up and running.  I installed a 7805 regulator on the backplane but as I contemplate adding more modules I'm thinking I may want a heftier supply.  Any particular favorites out there?

-Chris

Jeff Ratliff

10:21 AM (6 hours ago) 10:21 AM
to RC2014-Z80
Search for threads about 7805.  They get really hot because they waste a lot of power. Most people recommend getting one of the many switch mode replacements that stay cool but still do the job.

The one I got was  a OKI-78SR-5/1.5-W36-C, but there are plenty of others.

The supply you get will depend on how much current a Zed Pro draws, so hopefully someone else knows that number.  I just used a 9 volt wall wart to power my CP/M upgraded Classic II. I think it puts out about an amp.

Spencer Owen

10:40 AM (6 hours ago) 10:40 AM
to rc201...@googlegroups.com
An amp at 9v sounds way too high!

I am currently running some tests on a well loaded up RC2014 Zed Pro (with CF card, RP2040 VGA, LCD display, front panel and a bubble display module). That's being fed from a 5v USB wall wart and the maximum it is pulling is around 120ma (0.12 amps). It is mostly below 100ma.

Spencer

Chris Murphy

12:10 PM (4 hours ago) 12:10 PM
to rc201...@googlegroups.com
Impressive how low the current draw is!  I’m assuming there is a keyboard plugged into the VGA module?

Looks like I have nothing to worry about moving forward.

-Chris

On Jul 4, 2024, at 10:40 AM, Spencer Owen <spe...@z80kits.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "RC2014-Z80" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rc2014-z80/CAO93Ptc%2BLVa9FUp9-n%2BS%2BxeLOcPS6jFy%2B8sx%2Bq2_9X%2BKANCWPw%40mail.gmail.com.

fixit9660

2:28 PM (2 hours ago) 2:28 PM
to RC2014-Z80
Hi Chris. I recently equipped my SC503-based system with a Vigortronix VTX-146-015-118 Toroidal Transformer feeding three AC TO DC LM317 / LM337 Adjustable Positive / Negative 1 Amp Regulated Power Supplies. It IS overkill as someone is sure to point out, BUT I don't intend ever revisiting the power issue in the future, no matter what I want to plug in. They are currently supplying +/- 5v, +/- 12v, 3.3v and 21v but as they are adjustable that is completely flexible. The only supply I'm using at the moment is the +5v and the regulator does get warm. I intend my system to be standalone, so it will be powering a monitor of some type in the future, as well as other things.