My RC2014 runs ColecoVision games (including SGM & MegaCart) from CP/M

Aaron Mavrinac

May 30, 2024, 9:26:16 AMMay 30
to RC2014-Z80

To make this work starting from a stock RC2014 Pro, I had to:

  1. add a TMS9918 video card
  2. add a SN76489 sound card
  3. add a controller interface (and some controllers)
  4. add a 3.579545 MHz oscillator as main clock (alternatively, halve the onboard clock to get close)
  5. hack the standard Pageable ROM module to avoid a port conflict
  6. add a AY-3-8910/YM2149F sound card (for SGM games)
  7. design a RAM module with CP/M-compatible bank-switching logic up to 512KB
  8. modify J. B. Langston's CP/M game loader to handle MegaCart games

Steps 1 - 5 get you running original ColecoVision games and are primarily thanks to J. B. Langston.

Step 6, plus at least 32KB of RAM, makes Super Game Module games work. I run both sound cards (plus a SID-Ulator as well) through a mini mixer to combine.

Steps 7 and 8 are my contribution, to allow modern homebrew games using the MegaCart with ROMs up to 512KB to load into RAM.