Another 12 slot backplane

Mark T

May 29, 2019, 12:20:59 AM5/29/19
to RC2014-Z80
I've just finished soldering a compact 12 slot RC2014 compatible backplane.

Checked for shorts and opens with a multimeter but not verified in a running system yet.

I thought I'd post a photo for your amusement and before the men in white coats come to take me away in a straight jacket.

completed.jpg

Bill Shen

May 29, 2019, 1:15:46 AM5/29/19
to RC2014-Z80
I like it, a lot!
Bill

Eric Matecki

May 29, 2019, 1:43:41 AM5/29/19
to RC2014-Z80
I want one...
Always dreamed owning a Cray One !!!

(However, this must be a pain to solder...)

Steve Cousins

May 29, 2019, 5:01:05 AM5/29/19
to RC2014-Z80
Wow, Mark, that's really nice.

I had considered (well a vague passing thought) a back to back backplane and even a cube with modules sprouting off four sides, but I'm not crazy enough to try something like this. I don't even want to know how long it takes to solder this and how difficult it is.

Steve

Alan Cox

May 29, 2019, 9:03:37 AM5/29/19
to rc201...@googlegroups.com
That's a beauty

Mark T

May 29, 2019, 1:33:04 PM5/29/19
to RC2014-Z80
I put together a build log to show how it was contructed.
Assembly.pdf

William Huskey

May 29, 2019, 2:53:28 PM5/29/19
to RC2014-Z80
Like it, would be cool to add some leds..

On Wed, May 29, 2019, 10:33 Mark T <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:
I put together a build log to show how it was contructed.

Mark T

May 29, 2019, 6:16:51 PM5/29/19
to RC2014-Z80
Kind of surprised nobody asked for a bubble tank :)

No space on the backplane, i don’t think i could even fit smt leds. I would expect most modules to have status leds on them anyway.

I did put holes to allow HLMP-1740 leds in the former, but only to confirm the correct size hole for a front panel mount.

Full height RC2014 modules are probably going to be a bit tall and spoil the effect. Maybe a set of half height modules would look better, but thats going to need smt components to fit anything usefull.

Mark

Spencer Owen

May 29, 2019, 6:31:34 PM5/29/19
to rc201...@googlegroups.com
If you're going to use half height modules, you could probably get away with mounting every other socket on the inside and sticking the core modules inside the, ummm....core.

It looks awesome as it is, though. I've thought of doing something similar, except my plan was to not mount pin headers on the modules, but just run bare wire through them all (soldered to each one, obviously). Then the wire would be flexible enough to bend around a plastic pipe or something.

Spencer

Alan Cox

May 29, 2019, 6:34:32 PM5/29/19
to rc201...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 29 May 2019 at 23:31, Spencer Owen <spe...@sowen.com> wrote:

> If you're going to use half height modules, you could probably get away with mounting every other socket on the inside and sticking the core modules inside the, ummm....core.

But then where would the water cooling go ?

Alan

Steve Cousins

May 29, 2019, 6:51:39 PM5/29/19
to RC2014-Z80
Water cooling is for wimps who don't want to handle liquid nitrogen :)

Steve Cousins

May 29, 2019, 7:00:26 PM5/29/19
to RC2014-Z80
Spencer

That sounds like a great idea. The only problem I can see is the difficulty of doing a quick module swap.

On Wed, 29 May 2019, 23:16 Mark T, <mark...@gmail.com> wrote:
Kind of surprised nobody asked for a bubble tank :)

No space on the backplane, i don’t think i could even fit smt leds. I would expect most modules to have status leds on them anyway.

I did put holes to allow HLMP-1740 leds in the former, but only to confirm the correct size hole for a front panel mount.

Full height RC2014 modules are probably going to be a bit tall and spoil the effect. Maybe a set of half height modules would look better, but thats going to need smt components to fit anything usefull.

Mark

Chris Odorjan

May 30, 2019, 8:57:05 AM5/30/19
to rc201...@googlegroups.com
Where does the power supply go? In tiny little chairs surrounding it? :-)

Chris Odorjan - codo...@gmail.com