FS: 53cm VO Pass Hunter with Riv-ish Build $1,150

Jack K

May 12, 2017, 7:01:48 PM5/12/17
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hi Riv-folk,

As some folks here already know, issues with my hands kept me off the bike all of 2016. Ughh …  Two operations and six months of PT later and I still can’t ride an upright bike for more than a few miles, so I’m testing the recumbent waters. To fund my foray into recumbents I’m liquidating some BOB-ish bikes from my fleet. I’ll hang onto my beloved RB-1, the Ti Davidson and Bilenky tandem for now, in hopes of someday being able to use them again, but all other two wheeled vehicles in my garage that don’t feature Barcalounger seating will be going up for sale.

First up on the block is this barely ridden 53cm VO Pass Hunter, built with a fine assortment of Riv-approved bits. This exceptionally clean, very low mileage bike is about as nice as a used bike can be, with the few notable faults detailed below. This is a strikingly pretty bike, with the ruby red paint contrasting beautifully with the polished bits, “Drillium” crank and gum hooded drilled Dia-Compe Gan Compe brake levers. The VO Campeur stainless rear rack, hammered fenders and 8 speed friction shifted drivetrain add to the practicality, comfort and reliably. Note that VO recently switched the Pass Hunter to disk brakes, so this canti braked version is no longer available.

Please see the attached photos, detailed build sheet and geometry spec. VO’s archived webpage on the canti Pass Hunter is here:

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/frames/archives/vo-passhunter-frameset.html

An independent review of the Pass Hunter can be found here: http://velo-orange.blogspot.com/2014/03/pass-hunter-review-in-bicycle-times.html

Things to note on this bike:

  • Paint chip on seat-tube. I’m generally very careful with my bikes, but I managed to inflict this chip while the bike was in my garage.
  • Minor paint scratch on top-tube. I remember there being a scratch on the top-tube, but can’t find it now. It’s there somewhere, but apparently not terribly noticeable.
  • Rim sidewalls show minor wear and dirty. With the very low miles on these I blame some wet rides with the notoriously krappy Tektro pads.
  • Minor scratch on driveside chainstay, I assume from a dropped chain. Very minor paint scratch.
  • Seatpost scratched from being inserted into seat-tube. Not horrible, but definitely there.
Let’s make a deal:
  • Price for complete bike (no pedals or saddle) $1,150
  • Add the “as new” Brooks B-17 Champion Special saddle that matches the Brooks bar tape: +$80
  • Add new-in-box Conti GP4000s II 700x28 tires (measure 30-31mm wide): +$70
  • Add new-in-box Vittoria Corsa G+ 700x28 “open tubular”, tan sidewall tires (measure 28-29mm wide): +$85
  • Add new-in-box MKS Grip King pedals: $40
Shipping:

Shipping (or pickup in Raleigh, NC) is the responsibility of the buyer. I will drop the bike off at a good local shop (buyer’s choice of several) for packing, buyer to arrange shipping. For reference I recently had a recumbent shipped from Chicago to Raleigh for $50 LBS packing fee and $60 on BikeFlights. The recumbent is larger and heavier than a typical diamond frame bike and took 1.5 regular bike boxes grafted together to hold it.

Lots more photos available, just ask. Cheers and safe riding,

-Jack

Pass Hunter Info.pdf
yyy IMG_20170503_073723095 small.jpg
yyy IMG_20170503_073208114 small.jpg
yyy IMG_20170503_073427641 small.jpg
xxx IMG_20170503_074000429_HDR small.jpg
xxx IMG_20170503_073815974 small.jpg
xxx IMG_20170503_073851622 small.jpg

Jack K

May 19, 2017, 1:07:36 PM5/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
Weekend bump and price reduction ...

Nearly new VO Pass Hunter (sans saddle & pedals) now $1,100 + shipping. This would cost $2K+ to replicate, if the canti Pass Hunter frame was still available.

Cheers!

-Jack
Raleigh, NC
xxx IMG_20170503_073439258 small.jpg
xxx IMG_20170503_073130191 small.jpg
xxx IMG_20170503_073943110 small.jpg

Davey Two Shoes

May 19, 2017, 5:22:26 PM5/19/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
I absolutely love this bike. Forwarded it to a friend in the market. Good luck!

Jack K

May 22, 2017, 12:16:59 AM5/22/17
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Pass Hunter has been sold.