Front-loader cargo bike? Thoughts?

Michael Morrissey

Jul 25, 2024, 10:31:25 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi everyone,

I've been riding around with my little one on my Rivendell on a Yepp Mini. With the Tosco handlebars, it's perfect. However my little one is getting bigger each day and I think we're going to need something bigger. I love talking and singing with my child on the front, and I just don't want to move them to be behind me looking at my back (which is where I was when I was on the back of my mom's bike when I was little! There has to be a better way now!).

I really really want a front-loader cargo bike. Has anyone gone from a Rivendell to a front-loader? I passed up a broken 10 year old Urban Arrow a few months ago for $400 (unavailable electric motor parts and roller/drum brakes kept me away). I'm eyeing Larry vs. Harry Bullitt's around $2250 on Craigslist. Does anyone have any advice or experience with them?

I should note that my neighborhood (Queens, NYC) sucks for biking. With my little one, I mostly ride on the sidewalk at 3 MPH. There are tons of SUVs, big trucks and vans, and angry drivers. There are no bike lanes for the first 2 miles of my commute. Other neighborhoods (Williamsburg, Sunnyside) are much better for biking. I'm worried that even if I get a front-loader it won't be as practical as "underbiking" on the Rivendell. Or should I be the change I want to see in the world and bike unafraid?

I'm leaning toward a regular pedal-powered bike that I could put a Bafang electric motor on in the future. I'm worried about an electric-only bike having proprietary parts unavailable in 10 years (hello Urban Arrow Daum motors, hello Cake Osa). Mitch Hedberg once said, "An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs." A converted electric bike with broken electric parts would also still just be a regular bike.

Thoughts?

Michael

J Imler

Jul 25, 2024, 11:32:44 PM (2 days ago) Jul 25
to RBW Owners Bunch
Have you considered an Xtracycle Free Radical? I feel like it puts the youngsters farther back so that they get a 300-degree view of the world. I'm just of fan of the Free Rad. I'll share some pictures of my current build ASAP. I've been very close to building my Chev with the Free Radical, I'd call it the Chev-wagon. I'm sure a front-loader would be killer but maybe the Free Radical wouldn't be bad. You can Bafang kit it too.

Steven Sweedler

Jul 26, 2024, 7:39:53 AM (yesterday) Jul 26
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
How about one of Crust’ forks with a 20” wheel

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

Laing Conley

Jul 26, 2024, 9:03:29 AM (yesterday) Jul 26
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Conley's Crustendell Clementine Clydesdale Cargo Cycle Conversion:
IMG_4451.jpg
Rivendell 52cm Clementine (the OG non-PC version of the Clem Smith Jr.) with Crust Clydesdale fork (humongous Wald basket) and 52V Bafang Mid-drive. 9 x 1. Blazingly fast.

Laing Conley
Delray Beach FL

Patrick Moore

Jul 26, 2024, 1:21:08 PM (yesterday) Jul 26
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's intriguing. Laing: How much weight can you carry in that basket, and how does the Clem handle with that weight?

And how does the Clem handle unladen with the Crust fork and 20" wheel?

If I didn't want a fast road bike for my shopping* I'd build up something like that -- a modern version of the "butcher's bike." (Or else get a grocery tricycle.)

* I often turn shopping trips into much longer detours with the loaded part on the short return, so my commuting/errand bike is a Riv custom clone built from thinnish-wall normal gauge 531; flexy but it handles loads of 50 lb f+r acceptably with good racks.

--

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing services

When thou didst not, savage, know thine own meaning,

But wouldst gabble like a thing most brutish,

I endowed thy purposes with words that made them known.

Patrick Moore

Jul 26, 2024, 1:21:35 PM (yesterday) Jul 26
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I forgot to ask: Please explain "Rivendell 52cm Clementine (the OG non-PC version of the Clem Smith Jr.)"

Brian Forsee

Jul 26, 2024, 1:25:01 PM (yesterday) Jul 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
I picked up an Omnium Cargo (the fullsize/largest one) a couple of years ago and couldn't be happier with it. It's probably a bit overkill for a small child, but it can handle my 80lb german shepard with ease. Also makes grocery shopping extremely easy. Just drop the bags on the platform, cargo-net down, and go. No tetris-ing.

Their mid-size, what they call the mini-max, also looks intriguing.

Patrick Moore

Jul 26, 2024, 1:31:41 PM (yesterday) Jul 26
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I just looked over their site; very interesting, and much more affordable than I'd anticipated, even the titanium option --tho' I'm not sure that saving a couple of lbs with titanium makes any sense for a cargo bike.

Does yours really handle like a regular bike?

Brian Forsee

Jul 26, 2024, 1:42:49 PM (yesterday) Jul 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
I thought the same on the Ti.

I mean. A really long regular bike. The linkage steering is different, much lighter than a traditional fork setup, but it also depends on how much weight is on the front. So i wouldn't say that statement is 100% accurate but it handles CLOSE to a regular bike, all things considered.

Laing Conley

Jul 26, 2024, 2:49:46 PM (24 hours ago) Jul 26
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
At a minimum, the 1st batch (and maybe more batches) of step-through Clem Smith Jr. frames came with decals that say "CLEMENTINE" and the "diamond" style frames had Clem Smith Jr. decals on them. Sometime later it  was apparently decided that it was kind of sexist (non-PC) to use the old girl's bike (step-through), boy's bike (diamond) frame nomenclature and they became Clem Smith Jr. L (low) and Clem Smith Jr. H (high) - all with Clem Smith Jr. decals. Now all of the Clem Smith Jrs are the step-through style frame as far as I know. I wish it had the man climbing out of the sewer seat tube decal, but it does not. The Clementines (and early Clem Smith Jrs) also have somewhat shorter chainstays than the later frames.
Clementine.jpg

I have never put more than maybe 20 lbs in the basket yet. Basically, it shrugs it off. Empty or with 20 lbs, it seems to ride like the original bike. It does weigh about double what the original bike weighed. The Bafang mid-drive has way more power than I feel comfortable with, sitting upright. Note that the front V-brake is used as a parking brake, the front disc is used for stopping.

Laing Conley
Delray Beach FL

J Imler

Jul 26, 2024, 9:57:07 PM (17 hours ago) Jul 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here are some photos of my Xtracycle Free Radical build. The front is 26" knobby with cantilever brakes, the rear is 48-hole 700c with Schwalbe marathon with v-brakes. The SunTour shifter and the Nexave rear derailleur work SO well. I'm also fond of the Bosco bars on this Schwinn Mirada frame from the 80's. My son still rides on the rear without complaint and he's now 11.
IMG_5788.jpg
IMG_5794.jpg
IMG_5793.jpg
IMG_5790.jpg

Nicholas A

8:16 AM (6 hours ago) 8:16 AM
to RBW Owners Bunch
We have an Urban Arrow, I can honestly say it's the best money I've ever spent on a bike. We use it pretty much every day.