WTB: 650b wheelset, long-reach brakes

KTY

Oct 25, 2012, 11:23:32 AM10/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I've recently converted my old Maruishi tourer to a commuter, and love it but for the 27 1/4 tires, which are a tight fit under the longboards and leave a lot to be desired in the way of comfort on NYC's gnarly pavement.

If it can be done affordably, I'd like to convert to 650b, so... anyone have a not-too-heavily-used 650b wheelset to sell? Please hit me up here or off-list: kolbyt at gmail dot com. And as long as I'm asking, doing this would require some long reach brakes (e.g. the Dia Compes). Provided I can get a wheelset, that is.

Thanks,
Kolby

lungimsam

Oct 25, 2012, 6:26:33 PM10/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nothing to sell, but some advice to peddle.

If you do not live near an LBS that keeps 650b wheels/rims/tires in stock, think about buying extras of these when the wallet allows, or you could be in for quite a wait to replace any if needed. Especially if you prefer one brand/model of 650b product over another.

Otherwise, have fun with the conversion and wheels. I have a 560b bike that is great, but been off it for a month now while I am waiting to get a new rim replacement for a damaged one. Velocity distributor just got them back in stock, so the LBS should get it soon and have it all strung up and eady to rolll, I hope.

justin...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2012, 6:38:36 PM10/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I would recommend looking for the Handspun Pavement series 650b wheels on EBay, Amazon, etc. great deals.

-J

Peter Morgano

Oct 25, 2012, 7:59:45 PM10/25/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
if you arent a large individual  you could get the "budget" set that Rivendell used to sell on Fleabay. I have a 36 spoke Synergy set from Rivendell/Harris Cylery in 650b and at 250lbs have hit some potholes in this same NYC you speak of and have had no issues. A decent amount of money up front but worth it in the long run.

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM, <justin...@gmail.com> wrote:
I would recommend looking for the Handspun Pavement series 650b wheels on EBay, Amazon, etc. great deals.

-J

Philip Williamson

Oct 26, 2012, 12:26:00 PM10/26/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested to see if you're successful. I have a fixed gear low-trail porteur that only fits 30mm tires I'm thinking about 650B-ing.
There was a great eBay set I wanted, but it went for $500+, shipped.

Philip

justin...@gmail.com

Oct 26, 2012, 7:00:51 PM10/26/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I have a fixed gear 650b machine. L O V E it.

Allingham II, Thomas J

Oct 26, 2012, 7:33:35 PM10/26/12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
+1. My first fixed gear, Hetres on an A.N.T.-built truss bike. It's a cushy blast.

To ensure compliance with Treasury Department regulations, we advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax advice contained in this message was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any tax-related matters addressed herein.

This email (and any attachments thereto) is intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email (and any attachments thereto) is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify me at (212) 735-3000 and permanently delete the original email (and any copy of any email) and any printout thereof.

Further information about the firm, a list of the Partners and their professional qualifications will be provided upon request.