ISO: New wheelset for Romulus

Dave C

Sep 27, 2022, 1:46:56 PM9/27/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't follow discussions about wheelsets for rim brake road bikes today, so I do not know what I should use to replace my stock wheelset of my Romulus. I like to ride this bike light and fast, and I will definitely use tires between 30-38 mm. Is there a great lightweight wheelset that I should look for new or used? Maybe you have a set you'd like to sell? I know I don't want a "heavy duty" pair of wheels; I'm not a heavy person and I do not break spokes or break equipment. I am open to different rim materials, as long as it will last a while.

Thanks for any feedback. I always value your opinions. Dave in Carlsbad

lconley

Sep 27, 2022, 2:14:25 PM9/27/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Assuming that a Romulus uses 700C; VO has a 20% off sale going on right now so a pair of 100 x 130 hub, 32 spoke 700C wheels can be had for $404. 884 g front 1042 g rear - not super light, but what do you expect for $404, new, shipped? These use the VO hubs and VO Enterprise rims - 22mm wide good for 38mm tires.  Up to 11 speed cassette. In stock as of now.
I have had good luck with 1 set of VO wheels and several sets of VO rims on wheels that I have built. Plus if you want polished silver rims and hubs, there aren't a lot of choices. I like VO hubs as the round holes remind me of the Campagnolo Tipo hubs of my youth.
Pacenti would be another option, if they have anything in stock
And of course Rivendell has some wheelsets available, but not for $404.

Laing

Dave C

Sep 27, 2022, 2:45:26 PM9/27/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
That is a great suggestion. And you mentioned something else; I know some people have converted their Romulus to 650B, and I believed that involved a new pair of brakes and a new wheelset. I don't know how well their conversion went, in terms of tire clearance and bottom bracket height.

Back to Velo Orange - are their rims and hubs as good as a Velocity A23 or Pacenti? I really wish I knew more about rim quality, but I don't.

lconley

Sep 27, 2022, 3:26:02 PM9/27/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
In my experience, yes on the rims. I have no experience with Velocity hubs and very little with the Pacentis. Note that I use tubes, so that I cannot comment on the ability to run tubeless.
The VO rims tend to look more classically inspired than the Velocity rims - smoother, less angular.
I bought a set of 650B VO touring wheels in early 2015 - still have them, no problems. I also have several sets of wheels that I built with VO rims and probably twice that many that I built with Velocity rims. I have had one set of Pacenti wheels - 650B for the small Roadini frame. Nothing has gone wrong with any of them.

Laing

Joe Bernard

Sep 27, 2022, 3:28:56 PM9/27/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The hiccup with converting a Romulus to 650B is you aren't starting with short-reach calipers that can be swapped for Tektro R559, the brakes you have now (probably labeled Shimano, no model name) are mid-reach. It can be done with some centerpulls which you'll need cable hangers for.

amill...@gmail.com

Sep 27, 2022, 3:41:29 PM9/27/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I’d look at the velocity Quill for just a smidge more than the VOs. I’ve had two sets of VO rim wheelsets and was happy with both. I’ve had multiple sets of A23s and was happy with those, too.

I prefer the Quills, though. They are noticeably stiffer, and I appreciate the improvement in ride quality. I run them all tubeless.

Pacenti has gotten too expensive for what it is, imo.

Best,

Aaron in El Paso

On Sep 27, 2022, at 13:28, Joe Bernard <joer...@gmail.com> wrote:

The hiccup with converting a Romulus to 650B is you aren't starting with short-reach calipers that can be swapped for Tektro R559, the brakes you have now (probably labeled Shimano, no model name) are mid-reach. It can be done with some centerpulls which you'll need cable hangers for.

Andrew Turner

Sep 27, 2022, 5:28:50 PM9/27/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've got a wheelset our good friend, Bill Lindsay, sold me a few months ago for $300 + shipping. Here are his words:
"This wheelset is pretty darn nice, and essentially unused at all.  Good Japanese Shimano 105 hubs (Black).  Good Mavic CXP21 rims with machined sidewalls (Black).  130mm OLD in back, 100mm in front.  32 hole front and rear. Silver spokes.

You'd have to rock 8-10 speed cassettes with inner tubes but if you're looking for something on the cheaper end, I'd sell for $250 + shipping. I'm in Franklin TN.

I've used them for a grand total of 40 miles maybe on a commuter that's since been disassembled and they've been hanging up ever since.

Cheers,
Andrew

Russell Duncan

Sep 28, 2022, 1:23:58 PM9/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
My current wheelset on my Surly Cross X Check is a custom built set, where I paired a contemporary SunXCD rear hub with an old school Campagnolo high flange front hub.  As a matter of convenience and to save a buck or two, I co-opted a front Campy hub for further use, and besides they are a reasonable match.  Unfortunately, I think SunXCD are not so readily available any more. I purchased them from Velo Duo Cycles in the UK. SunXCD also made a 120 OLD rear hub where you depopulated a 10-spd cassette into a seven for friction shifting, which I've done twice now, and I'm happy with the results. I then use Pacenti Brevet rims. I'd build them myself (and I can) but wheel building is a fine-honed craft, so I have a LBS, which has experienced wheel builders on staff, do that for me.

IMG_3702.JPG

Russell Duncan
Currently in Wyoming

Ryan Stanis

Sep 28, 2022, 6:39:16 PM9/28/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
FWIW, to second Aaron's suggestion, the Velocity Quill is an improvement on the A23, as many have found the A23 too easy to dent/flat spot (myself included).  It is a wider rim than the a23, enterprise, or pacenti brevet, but any road caliper found on a riv shouldn't have issue with it's width.  Maybe overkill if you're staying off rough roads and gravel, but personally I'd rather spend the extra money for peace of mind.  As far as Velocity hubs, some of them are rebranded Bitex, an industry standard in prebuilt wheels. Unsure of their QR road models.

VO enterprise rim is NOT tubeless compatible if that is a current or future concern. VO hubs are easily serviceable, and run for a good many miles. I have been running a rear VO hub since 2017 in varying frequency of use and have yet to replace bearings. If you're not trying to future proof your wheelset, that $400ish price tag from VO is pretty sweet.

Pacenti Brevets has recently shot up in price a good bit.  Nice looking rim, tubeless compatible.  Seem to build up with relatively lower than usual tension on the non drive side rear depending on what hub they're paired with, and I have received at least one with a flat spot from the factory.  But as the old adage goes, "sh*t happens".

Hope this helps!

-Ryan
Keystone Bicycle Co.
Philadelphia, PA

Dave C

Sep 29, 2022, 1:01:37 AM9/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you! Yes, tubeless compatible matters. I believe it is increasingly common to run 38 mm tires tubeless. I mainly have experience with tubeless in the 2"+ widths.

Dave C

Sep 29, 2022, 7:45:03 PM9/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Where is the best place to buy a Quill wheelset?

Paul Choi

Sep 29, 2022, 9:09:17 PM9/29/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
You need to have a set built for you. 1) Rich at Rivendell. 2) Local bike shop. 3) One of the custom builders you can find online.
I had a good experience with Custom Wheelbuilder. I shipped my Shimano hubs to them and they built a nice set of Velocity Atlas wheels for me.

Richard Rose

Sep 29, 2022, 9:37:16 PM9/29/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know about “best” (Rich?) but Riv themselves recommend Velocity builds. They were very quick responding to me with a quote. The have a easy to use “request a quote” function on their site.

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 29, 2022, at 7:45 PM, Dave C <david.char...@gmail.com> wrote:

Where is the best place to buy a Quill wheelset?

Andrew Turner

Sep 29, 2022, 10:32:22 PM9/29/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Analog Cycles makes really great wheelsets as well. They built me a 650b Quill wheelset a few years ago and the whole process was top notch.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/473CE316-10DA-4E46-B6B2-7FB1EE3E04FF%40gmail.com.

gleason szitta

Sep 30, 2022, 8:15:41 AM9/30/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have been really happy with two different sets of Hunt wheels on my bikes. Fast, light, durable. Great customer service. For around $500 they have some nice aluminum rim brake options: