Horses and Donkeys

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Jul 22, 2024, 9:34:41 AM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to RBW Owners Bunch

I just got back from northern Michigan’s Ride Around Torch Lake. Best tour I’ve done yet. So fun. So many riders. But again, back to square one with the prejudice when the hordes of stereotypical roadies see me on the tour. I giggled with my sister about some of it on the phone today.

My sister said, I always think you’re riding a donkey. You have a donkey. Everyone is riding a horse and Leah brought a donkey! Donkeys are so powerful and you can saddle them with an incredible amount of weight. When you charge up hills, pull liters and liters of water out of your bag AND a change of clothes you know everyone with a horse is looking at you like you’re a loon. They are carrying one little bottle to keep their horses light and you’ve packed down your donkey. Everyone underestimates the donkey. I’m going to change your name in my phone to Donkey.

There was one other donkey on the ride. I’ll send pics of both in the next post.

Who else loves their donkey?!

Leah

Leah Peterson

Jul 22, 2024, 9:36:09 AM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg

DJC

Jul 22, 2024, 10:22:40 AM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,

I love donkeys!! That's all I ride, and it's all that I'll ever ride. I can't imagine trading comfort, beauty, and practicality for speed.

Long live donkeys, and those that ride them!!!

Best,
Dave

Jim in Mpls

Jul 22, 2024, 10:48:23 AM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm more of an ass! :)

Jim

George Schick

Jul 22, 2024, 12:38:59 PM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Tell your sister that instead of just "Donkey" in her cell phone she should use the name "Francis."  There's a great meaning behind this name, but I'll leave it up to everyone on this blog to figure it out.  The first one to come with the right answer will get their choice of a component from my spare parts box(es)!

John Rinker

Jul 22, 2024, 1:46:32 PM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey George,

Francis was the talking donkey! Actually, mule.

Cheers,
John

Bill Lindsay

Jul 22, 2024, 2:00:39 PM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah

You've got more of a burro vibe, in my view of the universe.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

George Schick

Jul 22, 2024, 2:03:49 PM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to RBW Owners Bunch
John - you win!!  PM me for any parts you might need.  I'll see if I've got 'em.

Leah Peterson

Jul 22, 2024, 9:50:57 PM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Is a burro prettier? Better teeth, perhaps? Donkey teeth is an insult, probably.  I can be a burro.
Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 22, 2024, at 2:00 PM, Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:

Leah

Curtis McKenzie

Jul 22, 2024, 10:06:11 PM (5 days ago) Jul 22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Here you go.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/B4A6B539-6593-4874-9573-5F71BF8F2CBB%40gmail.com.

Nick Payne

Jul 23, 2024, 2:49:26 AM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Tuesday 23 July 2024 at 2:38:59 am UTC+10 George Schick wrote:
Tell your sister that instead of just "Donkey" in her cell phone she should use the name "Francis."

Or "Dapple" - the name Sancho Panza gives his donkey in Don Quixote. Dapple is pretty much a character in his own right, as is Rocinante, Don Quixote's horse.

The last Lynsey frame I bought had really ugly logos on it, so I used acetone to remove them from the bare titanium, leaving just the Lynskey headbadge, and renamed the frame Rocinante:
PXL_20211106_041219084.jpg

Nick Payne

Bill Lindsay

Jul 23, 2024, 10:56:02 AM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think of burro as a small donkey, and I think of both of them being smarter, and more cautious than horses.  They are definitely cute.  Burros in particular can pull off a hat/bandanna ensemble that would knock your socks off.  IMO

BL in EC

Mike Rossi

Jul 23, 2024, 11:44:41 AM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I believe donkey and burro are the same animal. But, I like to think that a mule has better teeth as a fellow I know always greets me with, “there’s Smiley, grinning like a mule eating briars”.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 23, 2024, at 10:56 AM, Bill Lindsay <tape...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think of burro as a small donkey, and I think of both of them being smarter, and more cautious than horses.  They are definitely cute.  Burros in particular can pull off a hat/bandanna ensemble that would knock your socks off.  IMO
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rbw-owners-bunch/740ace86-013d-42bb-8580-743575e6183dn%40googlegroups.com.

Eric Daume

Jul 23, 2024, 3:00:03 PM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Sorry all, burro is already claimed for bikes. Here's an example I found:

Somehow, those fat 20" wheels don't look so odd anymore.

Eric

Bernard Duhon

Jul 23, 2024, 8:36:06 PM (4 days ago) Jul 23
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
In (Louisiana donkeys are known to be aggressive and protective to young  calves , and I put in the pasture with the calves to protect the calves from coyotes.

Jul 24, 2024, 12:13:04 AM (4 days ago) Jul 24
to RBW Owners Bunch
Burros are just small donkeys with long hair. Burro is the Spanish, Portuguese and Mexican name for donkey.

Kim Hetzel.

Josh C

Jul 24, 2024, 11:05:34 AM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah, donkey!! Love it! I'm going to start using that to describe my bikes. I occasionally find myself talking to someone at work, or the like, who finds out that I ride bikes but only know bicycles as fully plastic road or MTB bikes, and find it difficult to quickly tell them that I do ride bikes but not the sort they are familiar with. It'd be much easier to use a quick Horses and Donkeys metaphor and move on. I ride a donkey.

George Schick

Jul 24, 2024, 1:07:55 PM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to RBW Owners Bunch

Glen

Jul 24, 2024, 1:57:01 PM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to RBW Owners Bunch
Copenhagen is crawling with orange donkey bikes.

Pam Bikes

Jul 24, 2024, 11:00:38 PM (3 days ago) Jul 24
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm definitely a donkey too!

My sleeping bag won't fit in my panniers and I didn't even have to carry the tent.  I can strap it to the front handlebars but only if it's not in the dry bag b/c I got a big one to keep everything dry.   And the big drybag won't fit anywhere except on top of the rear rack.  lakechamplain.JPEG