help identify a small part and a source for it

J J

Sep 20, 2022, 10:35:07 PM9/20/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
washers spacers knurled.JPG

I’ve tried in vain to find these locally. I ask for “funky textured lock washers/spacers” but folks in local shops look at me funny even when I show them the attached pic. So my terminology is clearly technically incorrect! It’s a mystery. Riv used many of them on this Glorius build. I’d very much appreciate help knowing what they’re called and where I can procure some. They do their job very well. Thanks!

Jay Lonner

Sep 20, 2022, 10:39:22 PM9/20/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Aren’t those the little rings that screw onto Presta valves?

Jay Lonner
Bellingham, WA

Sent from my Atari 400

On Sep 20, 2022, at 7:35 PM, J J <junes...@gmail.com> wrote:

washers spacers knurled.JPG

I’ve tried in vain to find these locally. I ask for “funky textured lock washers/spacers” but folks in local shops look at me funny even when I show them the attached pic. So my terminology is clearly technically incorrect! It’s a mystery. Riv used many of them on this Glorius build. I’d very much appreciate help knowing what they’re called and where I can procure some. They do their job very well. Thanks!

washers spacers knurled.JPG

Brian Turner

Sep 20, 2022, 10:40:31 PM9/20/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Try “wedge lock washers”.

On Sep 20, 2022, at 10:39 PM, Jay Lonner <jay.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

Aren’t those the little rings that screw onto Presta valves?

Joe Bernard

Sep 20, 2022, 10:44:42 PM9/20/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like the ridged washers that come on road caliper brakes. Sometimes you don't need them and they end up piling up at the shop, I imagine that's how they ended up on your bike.

rlti...@gmail.com

Sep 20, 2022, 11:42:29 PM9/20/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looks like the concave washers that come on most brake pad hardware. The LBS may have a pile of them. Or buy cheap brake pads just for the washers.

Robert Tilley
San Diego, CA

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 20, 2022, at 7:35 PM, J J <junes...@gmail.com> wrote:

washers spacers knurled.JPG

I’ve tried in vain to find these locally. I ask for “funky textured lock washers/spacers” but folks in local shops look at me funny even when I show them the attached pic. So my terminology is clearly technically incorrect! It’s a mystery. Riv used many of them on this Glorius build. I’d very much appreciate help knowing what they’re called and where I can procure some. They do their job very well. Thanks!

J J

Sep 20, 2022, 11:51:01 PM9/20/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the quick responses! Jay, they are similar to but larger than the presta valve screws, and have different texture. Brian, thanks for the name suggestion. Joe, you’re right — a set of the Tektro 559s I sold recently had some of these washers, and I made sure to send them along with the brakes. Robert, thanks for the suggestion on how I might find some.

I appreciate all the help!

Bill Lindsay

Sep 21, 2022, 4:54:49 AM9/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
The OP asked for a particular small part being used as a stackable spacer for a fender installation.

-Jay speculated that they are presta nuts.  The parts in the picture are not presta nuts, but people absolutely use presta nuts as stackable spacers
-brokebike suggested that their name is "wedge lock washers".  That's close but not exactly right.  Wedge lock washers are typically a matched pair of washers that have a ridged interlocking interface between them.  The more generically stackable similar form of lock washer are sometimes called "nord lock"
-Joe correctly identified the objects in the photo as caliper brake washers, and correctly identified that bike mechanics use them as spacers NOT because they buy them for that purpose, but because they are suitable for the purpose and accumulate on their own when you have dozens or hundreds of new builds flowing through your shop
-Robert suggested that the objects in the photo resemble brake pad conical washer hardware.  Like presta nuts and caliper brake washers, that hardware also accumulates at the shop and people absolutely use them as spacers.

The general approach to solving this kind of problem is using the objects that are laying around.  That's what the mechanic did for that fender installation in the photo, and that is why a home mechanic would use presta nuts or brake pad hardware.

So, if the OP is looking to purchase a handful of stackable objects that they can use to stack up a spacer of "any length", then I think the best bet would be to invest in flat washers or spacers.  If the OP specifically wants just those specific face-knurled stackable lock washers, then I'd recommend calling a mechanic that builds a lot of bikes with Tektro caliper brakes and offer to buy 10 of them.  If you'd rather buy Tektro Brake Washers online, type "tektro brake washer" into the googler and find them for $1.73 apiece from Bens Cycle:  Tektro Serrated Brake Washer #6.1x13.3 SB Silver | (benscycle.com)

For substitutes that you can buy in any quantity, I'd look to McMaster-Carr.  For example, brass flat washers are 1mm thick.  You can buy a bag of 100 in the M5 size for $8.  Stack them all you like.  They are attractive and corrosion resistant.  If you want M6 (which is what those brake washers are), then those are more like 1.5mm thick and you can buy a bag of 50 for $8.57.  Aluminum flat washers are a lot more expensive.  $11 for a bag of 10.  Stainless steel is cheaper.  $6.58 for a bag of 100 M6 stainless steel washers.

If you need a spacer and know exactly how long it needs to be, those can be purchased from McMaster-Carr also.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

J J

Sep 21, 2022, 7:39:41 AM9/21/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Bill, that’s a super helpful treatise not just about the lock washer in question, but about resourcefulness as well. Thank you for taking the time.

I like the stacked look of these washers on the unpainted frame, as they suit the aesthetic, though brass washers or spacers would be lovely as well.

Thanks again!

Mike Little

Sep 22, 2022, 2:26:47 PM9/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
From your pic, looks like Nord-Lock washers. Don't know your ID/OD but I get them from McMaster-Carr.
Hope this helps!

Mike

Nord-Lock.jpg

eric swain

Sep 22, 2022, 2:26:52 PM9/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

J J

Sep 22, 2022, 9:17:04 PM9/22/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Mike and Eric!

Mike Godwin

Sep 23, 2022, 5:27:06 PM9/23/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use these nylon spacers from Ace Hardware, though the link is for Granger  Spacers - Grainger Industrial Supply

Mike SLO CA

Hetchins52

Sep 24, 2022, 12:26:44 PM9/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

Although I think the brass washers with raw metal frame would look great, I’ve taken a different approach to rear fender attachment to the chain stay bridge.

My solution has been to buy a hardware store variety-pack of plumbing washers. There are usually multiples of several types and the cylindrical or conical ones work well and often have an M5 or M4 size hole through the center.

I sandwich the fender material between two washers and put an M4 or M5 bolt through them and the chain-stay bridge with a Nylock nut at one end.

The compressible washers provide a yielding surface that is a bit friendlier to plastic (and, I’d assume aluminum) fenders, in the long run.

I’d include some pictures but I’m on the east coast while my bikes are in Berkeley. Will try to repost once I’m back home.

David Lipsky

PS: Found a photo of that area on my errand bike. Two conical washers on one side, a cylindrical and a flat stainless under the bolt head. Difficult to attach from iPad….

Hetchins52

Sep 24, 2022, 10:28:40 PM9/24/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Let’s try this:
Grrr, not a PDF….
Coop CTY BB detail.HEIC

Garth

Sep 25, 2022, 4:48:36 AM9/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I like the idea of the plumbing washers and/or anything one wouldn't normally consider !

J J

Sep 25, 2022, 11:46:41 AM9/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Mike Godwin, David, and Garth. I appreciate the suggestions and creative solutions!

Jennings

Sep 28, 2022, 7:48:56 AM9/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I used a cork from a wine bottle.

Brian Turner

Sep 28, 2022, 9:53:13 AM9/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's been a while, but I used to buy these unthreaded aluminum spacers in lengths long enough to cut to exact size as needed. Granted, it's not clever reuse of readily available bike hardware, but I like the clean look of it, and you can fashion them into whatever size you need for the application:

Kim Hetzel

Sep 28, 2022, 3:21:45 PM9/28/22
to RBW Owners Bunch

J J

Oct 2, 2022, 3:41:25 PM10/2/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the link, Kim, and to all who replied here. Very helpful!

Kim Hetzel

Oct 2, 2022, 4:30:29 PM10/2/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You are more than welcome, J J.
I was looking at metal fenders on that site and came across those and thought of you.

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.