Not selling more bikes that need to be shipped

maxcr

Sep 16, 2021, 8:48:32 PM9/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not a rant, just a fact - it's just not worth the hassle.

I have sold 3 bikes locally with no issue. Then, out of the other 3 that I have sold - all packed professionally by reputable bike shops and shipped with a full service shipper (bikeflights or the other one)- I have had problems with two of them.

They have insurance and I can go fight the carrier for it, or the LBS or the buyer, but it's just not worth the hassle... not doing it anymore.

What's your experience shipping bikes? What am I doing wrong?

Max
Trying to make things right by the buyer of my AHH

Joe Bernard

Sep 16, 2021, 9:42:59 PM9/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
My experience is I stopped having problems when I took over the packing. I hate it and didn't consider myself good at it, but after a while it became clear that "reputable bike shops" are extremely spotty about this skill. I still hate it and it takes me forever, but my self-packed bikes have all arrived to happy buyers.

Joe "never again 'til next time" Bernard

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Sep 16, 2021, 10:15:40 PM9/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Max, I hate it so much. I know how you feel. I have been there.

I was preparing to make room in the garage for my raspberry Platy. I decided to sell my inherited Clementine and my Betty Foy. I paid to have the bikes professionally packed and shipped via Bike Flights, with insurance. When the aqua Clementine arrived at the buyer’s home it was badly dinged up. Like, multiple places. But the box was intact! The buyer could clearly see the cause of the damage - loose metal not secured to the frame in the box. I set out to make it right and let the seller choose from two options. Once he chose (I deeply discounted the bike) I went to both the bike shop and Bike Flights. It was a long process with the bike shop, who honestly believed it was the buyer’s fault. They accused him of purposely damaging the bike, hoping for a discount. This was not at all plausible. The mechanic had not secured parts (I forget what), and the box was intact, therefore exonerating the shipper. The shop wanted to give me $100 for a powder coat paint job - and begrudgingly at that. I couldn’t even begin to explain to them how expensive a Rivendell repaint would be.

But Bike Flights was much more reasonable than my local shop and cut me a check for the damages without argument. I really was surprised since this appeared to be a packing issue. I felt guilty collecting the insurance money.

It made me sick to my stomach to see that pristine bike banged up so badly, sick over arguing with the manager at REI, sick that Bike Flights had to pay, and sick at what the buyer must now think of me.

So, yes, local if possible.
Leah

Christopher Murray

Sep 16, 2021, 11:49:24 PM9/16/21
to RBW Owners Bunch

I think Joe has it right. Bikes are shipped all over the world every single day without issue. The issues arise when the person doing the packing isn’t invested in the bike (ie doesn’t really give a sh@#) and doesn’t really care if the bike makes it safely. Pack it yourself, require an inspection before the box is sealed if you pay a shop, or find someone you can really trust. Or just sell  it local.

Minh

Sep 17, 2021, 12:00:02 AM9/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
i have a few other hobbies, and i've noticed that shippers are not quite as careful as well.  even in cases with well packed packages, there is damage being caused.  i agree that keep market local will save you a lot of potential problems.  i get thats not always possible with specialized items like these bikes, so its a tough situation.

Ed Carolipio

Sep 17, 2021, 4:35:23 AM9/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
For me, I've never trusted another person to pack a bike I'm selling since I figure they're not on the hook if something goes wrong.

I've packed and shipped several completes and frames, and so far (knock on wood) never had a buyer complain. I'm not a pro by any means: I'm slow, I use far too much packing material, and I tend to disassemble items I'm never about getting damaged or causing damage during transit. IMO if a person is mechanically inclined enough to work on their bike, packing one is well within their capability.

Good luck on getting your issue resolved.

--Ed C.

lconley

Sep 17, 2021, 8:22:32 AM9/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I agree that to do it right, you have to do it yourself, IF you have the skills - If you don't work on your own bike, you probably shouldn't ship the bike yourself either. I had a bike packed and shipped by a well known national chain bike shop and it arrived with minor damage. No problem with bikes that I did myself. I keep most of the materials and boxes that my frames, wheels or bikes come in, and use them when I ship. I must have 6 or seven frame boxes in the storage unit now, full of styrofoam tube protectors and wheel boxes.

Laing
Delray Beach FL

maxcr

Sep 17, 2021, 10:05:26 AM9/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you all for your comments - it's clear that I'm not alone. I guess the decision is whether to try out self-packing or sell locally.

Max

ascpgh

Sep 17, 2021, 10:11:20 AM9/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I think that it behooves seller/packer/shipper to make use of the easily videoed condition of the bike, the degree of protections employed and the intact exterior of packaging when shipping as part of a transaction.

Likewise, as a receiver/buyer/unpacker, there is a powerful bit of proof that is fleeting to video the external condition of the delivered package, the careful opening of the package and materials to expose the arrived condition of the item.

I think this documentation really eliminates the opportunity for parties to the process to weasel out of responsibility for damage if it is demonstrated. My undamaged  new rando frame, fork, stem, rack and decaleur from Johnny Coast: https://photos.app.goo.gl/3rzbhNmBw2ioiddH7

A new bike shipped to my shop was damaged when removed from its box. It was a pre-season delivery bike, stored as shipped, waiting for assembly and stock on the floor. Both right stays and rear wheel were bent beyond straightening and treating as useful. On examination (MUCH more than that upon delivery) a forklift tire tread was found across the box which was otherwise in very good condition, not repaired or wrinkled with additional creases you'd expect of such.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Matt Beecher

Sep 17, 2021, 12:50:29 PM9/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't blame anyone for not being willing to ship.  I have my own hesitations and they have not worked out well when I tried in the past.  I've certainly appreciated that others have shipped to me though...or in one case, drove from a couple states away to deliver a bike to my house.

I think that if I were to do this, I would make the seller pay me, then I would deliver the bike to a nearby shop of the buyer's choice and have him deal directly with the shop for shipping, including paying the shop for packing/shipping.

Best regards,
Matt in Oswego, IL

spencer robinson

Sep 17, 2021, 2:52:29 PM9/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Matt Beecher is on the same wavelength as me…
On the occasions that I have sold a bike to someone long distance, the agreement I made with the buyer is that I will not ship it…if the buyer still wants the bike, I give them a few local bike shops and they can make their own deal with the shop. I agree to drop the bike at the shop and then the bike is no longer mine. I prefer to find a local buyer that I can meet halfway.

Joe Bernard

Sep 17, 2021, 3:06:35 PM9/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Andy references a point that I've mentioned to buyers but forgot to include here: careful retrieval of the bike from the box. Its stupid-easy to screw up a very carefully packed bicycle if you're not paying attention to where everything is and how it's attached as you start pulling, so I send pics and alert the buyer to take things real slow. Good call, Andy!

Joe Bernard

Patrick Moore

Sep 17, 2021, 3:25:51 PM9/17/21
to rbw-owners-bunch
FWIW, I've had several bikes and frames other pedaled contraptions packed and shipped by LBS's with no problems. I'm known at these shops, and these are premium shops, for what that's worth.

They've shipped regular bikes, frames, a Dahon, and -- by another shop -- a 58 cm c-c Ken Rogers R*c*ng Tr*k*. This last made a bulky package! No complaints from recipients.

Patrick Moore

Patrick Moore

Sep 17, 2021, 3:28:20 PM9/17/21
to rbw-owners-bunch
Oh, forgot, this isn't the iBoblist. The *'s are a not-entirely-serious (but not-entirely facetious, either) snipe at the iBoblist moderators who many years ago judged the trike to be off-topic!

On Fri, Sep 17, 2021 at 1:25 PM Patrick Moore <bert...@gmail.com> wrote:
...Ken Rogers R*c*ng Tr*k*.

lconley

Sep 17, 2021, 3:34:52 PM9/17/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Darn, now I have to Google Ken Rogers Racing Trike.

Laing

Patrick Moore

Sep 17, 2021, 3:40:49 PM9/17/21
to rbw-owners-bunch
Here is the very one, taken circa 2011 and posted on the old Trikes and (odd) Bikes blog. This was a circa 1980 model but refurbished. Dual front brakes, prehistoric Altenberger dual pivot, with Weinmann centerpull on extended stalk.

The most fun thing is cornering; see below. And they are great for hauling groceries: I replaced the Camper with a Hoss.

And you can stop dead and not unclip, even on hills. And you can ride them in snow. Single wheel drive, British so it is the left one, but never caused more than minor annoyance on our modestly cambered roads.

image.png

image.png

Patrick Moore

Sep 17, 2021, 3:41:43 PM9/17/21
to rbw-owners-bunch
No, not cps, cantis.

Patrick Moore

Sep 17, 2021, 3:44:52 PM9/17/21
to rbw-owners-bunch
Sheesh! Cantis and Altenberger on stalk.

Patrick Moore

Sep 17, 2021, 3:47:46 PM9/17/21
to rbw-owners-bunch
Cornering: better shot. This is the fun thing.

Enough on trikes.

image.png