Recommendation for small tire pump

RichS

Aug 16, 2018, 6:24:33 PM8/16/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
This topic comes up periodically so forgive me for raising it yet again! I need a good pump that will fit inside a Medium Sackville bag.
Lezyne is one that comes to mind and I believe I've seen it recommended here.

Thank you for your comments.

Regards,
Rich in ATL

Deacon Patrick

Aug 16, 2018, 6:32:27 PM8/16/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I love my Leyzine for my QB. Their protable floor pump, and it should fit fine in a medium Sackville saddlebag. Pro tip: bee’s waxn the threads on the cap to prevent self unthreading if you have many jouncies to unthread it as you ride. Discovered that trick after reassembling the pump at -10˚F. Oops. Sardonic grin. No problem since.

With abandon,
Patrick

Deacon Patrick

Aug 16, 2018, 6:34:39 PM8/16/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
This one: http://www.lezyne.com/product-hpumps-hv-microfldrhvg.php
or the road one, depending on if you go high pressure/narrow tire or lower pressure/wider tire.

With abandon,
Patrick

Toshi Takeuchi

Aug 16, 2018, 6:37:15 PM8/16/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, Lezyne and Topeak Morph/mini Morph are the two brands/lines of pumps I would recommend, mainly for the flexible hose to the tube valve, good pumping and relatively small size.

Toshi

Garth

Aug 16, 2018, 6:44:10 PM8/16/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

I'll second the Topeak Road or Road Mini Morph pumps. Mini floor pumps are the best 😀

Patrick Moore

Aug 16, 2018, 6:50:20 PM8/16/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
How wide a tire? For higher pressures, I heartily recommend the Lezyne Road Drive. For fat ones, the Alloy Drive. I think both -- certainly the Road Drive -- come in at least 2 lengths.

Other professional writing services.
Patrick Moore
Alburquerque, New Mexico, Etats Unis d'Amerique
Auditis an me ludit amabilis insania?

Patrick Moore

Aug 16, 2018, 6:51:32 PM8/16/18
to rbw-owners-bunch
Lezyne also makes a "mini floor pump" type like the Topeak. I've used it exactly once, but from that experience (and ownership of 1, perhaps 2 Mini Morphs) I'd highly recommend it over the latter, at least for higher pressure tires.

R Shannon

Aug 16, 2018, 8:38:05 PM8/16/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thank you gentlemen!

My tires are low pressure; problem solved:-)))

Kind regards,
Rich in ATL

Sent from my iPhone

Mojo

Aug 17, 2018, 12:07:41 AM8/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I just had to use my mini Silca for the first time in a few years. I was (re) impressed with it. A good solid little expanding pump.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272918372856

Joe in GJT

Ron Mc

Aug 17, 2018, 6:22:59 AM8/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick nailed it - Road Drive for high pressure (both lengths work), Alloy Drive Medium for high volume.

ascpgh

Aug 17, 2018, 7:16:17 AM8/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Topeak mini is the pump I have with me every day on my commute. I mounted the frame clip, intended for one of the water bottle bosses, on the dowel inside my Carradice Nelson Longflap. It stays up out of the way, out of sight, quiet and ready to grab even if the bag is full. No roadside disengorging necessary.

That bike uses 700 x 40 tires. Flats are  not convenient, happen at odd times and places, all far from your trusty floor pump. I don't discredit the small size and reps needed to fill my tube/tire. I'm happy that it works wonderfully on those rare occasions when I've depended on it.

 I do have the full sized Topeak frame pump and it rattles a bit where the handle telescopes over the body when mounted. Stuff like that is irritating when you take so much care to keep your bicycle so quiet in operation. You know, that one tick or click that escaped your careful service and maintenance, letting your mind ruin a perfectly wonderful ride.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Pondero

Aug 17, 2018, 12:53:04 PM8/17/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Andy,

Thanks for the reminder about mounting on the dowel.  I've heard about this approach before (maybe from you?), and have thought of doing this myself.  Would you mind, if it isn't too far off topic, posting a photo of how you oriented the mounting?

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

R Shannon

Aug 17, 2018, 1:59:09 PM8/17/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone for all the recommendations.

Andy, yes, please do post a pic of the pump attachment on the dowel. That’s a slick idea!

Regards,
Rich in ATL

Sent from my iPhone

ascpgh

Aug 18, 2018, 4:49:48 AM8/18/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's the pump on the dowel of my Carradice Nelson Longflap. Boy does it all have a lot of beausage in flash photos! It's earned it from being in since I've had it in use since 2002. The white bands are giant zip ties holding the D-ring for the draw cord. The OEM Delrin one died years ago.

The pump clip is zip tied to the dowel as it would to frame tube in alternatively from a set of water bottle bosses. The contour fits nicely, zip ties just tight enough but let it swing out of the way. There is no quieter pump than one inside your bag.

Andy Cheatham

Pittsburgh

Pondero

Aug 18, 2018, 6:50:19 AM8/18/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Andy! Well done!

Chris Johnson
Sanger, Texas

Lum Gim Fong

Aug 18, 2018, 6:59:06 AM8/18/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I use a Topeak Morph for Carradice Pendle, Brooks Milford, and Berthoud GB 25 bags.

I use one of those short cylinder pumps from Topeak in my banana sax. Gotta get new pumps as both are a few years olde and I don’t want to get caught out with rotted seals. I think the Topeak is 9 years olde now.

R Shannon

Aug 18, 2018, 10:22:35 AM8/18/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Andy, I like it! Thank you for the photographs and description.

Regards,
Rich in ATL

Sent from my iPhone