Thanksgiving rides? and a Platy goes on 1st cruise

Yankeebird

Nov 26, 2021, 6:55:40 PM11/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anyone get any nice Thanksgiving rides in yesterday? Care to share?!

We took a nice ride along the East Branch of the Westfield River in Chesterfield, MA. 12 miles roundtrip on an old truck road. Picnic on a sandbar. Probably picked up some ticks too! I've never been here, I have no real connection to MA, and it was, dare I say, gorges? (nyuk nyuk nyuk, with apologies to Ithaca) Someone inaugurated their Platypus on the ride as well! Stupendous! Thanksgiving rides are the best.

Yup, all drivetrain side down at Picnic Time. There was another bike but off frame. That's my Clem in the front and my older Surly CC with a Alfine 8 and Albatross bars that is now basically my brothers bike since he commandeered it from me two years ago and hasn't given it back:
PXL_20211125_191837010.jpg

Proud new Platypus owner! "My wrists didn't hurt!" and "I can't believe I rode 12 miles over all those rocks and I feel fine today" means that we have achieved SUCCESS:
PXL_20211125_192734966.jpg

Displaying the "International Signal for Saluting Fellow Platypus Riders:"
PXL_20211125_193218705.jpg

Some scenery. I should have taken more pictures but we were riding and having a good time. No sense in ruining moments to stop. Live in the moment and all that. The bikes got good and muddy, as did our backsides. Wicked comfortable mounts for this type of riding.
PXL_20211125_194032671.jpg

Bicycle Belle Ding Ding!

Nov 26, 2021, 9:04:25 PM11/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Oh, this warms my post-turkey Thanksgiving heart. A Clem AND a Platy and #RivSisters and a new Platy owner salute. Way to make my night! Since this Platy is on its first cruise, I’m curious where your friend found it. They are so, so rare. I’ve been keeping an eye out a couple of people just pining for the enigmatic and coveted Rivendell Platypus. I’m so glad your friend found her very own. Is this her first Rivendell?

Also, I have never ever seen a Saddlesack put on the handlebars! Very creative, and it looks like it will work great.
Leah

Doug H.

Nov 26, 2021, 9:27:13 PM11/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Clems and Platys and do it all bikes! The Platypus salute is perfect! Thanks for sharing the photos. I did not get to do a Thanksgiving ride but do plan to get some miles in this weekend.
Doug

David Person

Nov 26, 2021, 10:16:28 PM11/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like a great time, with some great bikes.  Santa Ana winds were howling here in So. Cal yesterday, so no turkey day ride for me.  We were just thankful SCE did not shut off our electricity.

Joe Bernard

Nov 26, 2021, 11:22:18 PM11/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Platypus salute is so awesome 😊😂

Yankeebird

Nov 27, 2021, 9:43:31 AM11/27/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Leah,
She secured her Platypus during the initial offering, but due to Circumstances Beyond Her Control it sat unused for many months- but we are here now, and thankful!
This is her second Riv. She had a 51 AHH but it was actually a bit small, despite all the assurances of the WC team. It seems that the older Riv philosophy of sizing up if close to two sizes still applies despite the new geometries. Additionally, she did not like the 650b wheel size. The AHH went off to a good home on a farm somewhere and she got the 700cc 55cm Platypus. The Platypus solved many problems and it was love at first ride! The location of the bag means she doesn't have to fully dismount to access things, she likes it there better, and unlike basket, rain protection and no hardware!

Interestingly enough this was only my second "longer" ride on the Clem... I've been discouraged on the bike since it came with the new sneaky "Extended Front End" but with a short DirtDrop it's really come into its own on the old dirt roads of New England. I *almost* sold it a few months back! So glad I didn't! While there is overlap between the Cheviot and Clem, they both do certain things much better than the other. It's nice to have the operational spread.

Phenomenal bike, that Platypus.

Leah Peterson

Nov 27, 2021, 12:21:48 PM11/27/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yankeebird,

You dodged a bullet by not giving up on that Clem! I suffered with the extended front end problem too (I had a thread that got a LOT of participation over this issue) but once I got it dialed in with an 8 cm stem it is fantastic. That blue Clem will never be for sale. Ever ever ever. And like you, I have the Rivendell mixte and the Clem and I so agree that there are uses for BOTH. (By my count of people who have both it is: you, Joyce, Junie, Emily, Sofiya, Grant, and me.)They feel like totally different machines to me, and I get joy out of riding both. I park them next to each other in the garage just glancing at them on my way by fills me with happiness. They are SO beautiful.

I’m thrilled for your friend and her new Platypus. It really is such a wonderful bike. Rare like its namesake, it’s a treat to see Platy Posts. Will from Rivendell got his Platypus built up and it’s posted on the News section of the Rivendell website. Hope we get to see more of these rare creatures; the next run of them is going to be a much greater number.

On Nov 27, 2021, at 6:43 AM, Yankeebird <frees...@gmail.com> wrote:

Leah,

ascpgh

Nov 27, 2021, 1:01:46 PM11/27/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Got up early and headed out after six to ride out to the Point where the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers become the Ohio River.

Will consider taking the brew kit next time, otherwise a perfect lead in to the rest of the day's festivities.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

JAS

Nov 27, 2021, 1:25:35 PM11/27/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
It looks like all Platy owners need to get a pair of mittens (or at least 1/2 of a pair) so we are properly outfitted for the secret Platy Salute.  I'm going to get right on it!  Must they be plaid?  Love the salute idea...it's so unique and sly; others won't know what the heck we're doing.

#RivSisters,
Joyce

Leah Peterson

Nov 27, 2021, 3:58:14 PM11/27/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Oh, is this the New Thing we’re doing? Far be it from me not to participate. Ok then!

On Nov 27, 2021, at 10:25 AM, JAS <swanso...@gmail.com> wrote:

It looks like all Platy owners need to get a pair of mittens (or at least 1/2 of a pair) so we are properly outfitted for the secret Platy Salute.  I'm going to get right on it!  Must they be plaid?  Love the salute idea...it's so unique and sly; others won't know what the heck we're doing.
Message has been deleted

Garth

Nov 28, 2021, 8:09:07 AM11/28/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I too rode and Thanksgiving day ..... there was nary a car out on my sorta rural roads so it was like having my own giant paved trail !  All the geese were out of course as they live in some wetland area I ride by every day. There was a few small flocks flying around, and they're always flying low so when they pass overhead you can hear the whoosh of their wings and just how honkin' loud their honks are.

The best part of the ride though was where I had gone down an offshoot road of the main highway to put a warmer hat on.  It was a tiny group of spread out homes on a U shaped road off the main highway.  I saw some kids playing on the front porch area of a house, they were maybe 4-7 year olds, and one said to another "look , a bike !" as I passed by. That was near the end of the road and it was there I planned to change hats. So I glance over at the kids and I see one running over into the attached garage.... and sure enough he pulls out his little blue bike and says with enthusiasm and determination "I'm gonna be the first to ride the new(resurfaced) road !" and proceeds down the road as only a child can do.... without a care in the world.

How great is that .... Who can't relate  ?  Oh the joys of being spontaneity !

Chris Halasz

Nov 28, 2021, 11:23:44 AM11/28/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Been riding my (new to me) Platypus, purchased in Sebastopol the day before Thanksgiving!

Nice ride through the hills between Santa Barbara and Montecito, mid-70s temps. What a bike!

- Chris

IMG_2219.jpeg

Kainalu V. -Brooklyn NY

Nov 28, 2021, 4:22:37 PM11/28/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Looks like a blast! Glad to see folks out enjoying their step throughs to the fullest extent. While I can claim membership in the Rivendell Mixte/Clem club, my Clem is an H model and my mixte only has ONE single lug! (though it's beautiful WI borne TIG beads are sooo lovely, I bought TWO!). Thanks for sharing the good times and gooder bikes
-Kai