film photos on bike rides

Stephen

Jun 2, 2024, 12:02:52 PMJun 2
to RBW Owners Bunch
Been taking more film photos with the rollei 35 led since recently moving to the sfbay area again and I just got a couple rolls developed. Thought it might be nice to start a conversation for folks to post film photos shot on bike rides.

kirby.jpeg
Kirby cove

rodeo.jpeg
Rodeo valley

geese.jpeg
geese near albany bulb

tam.jpeg
Tam from the headlands.

Eric Norris

Jun 2, 2024, 12:11:24 PMJun 2
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Stephen:

I post a lot of photos I’ve taken on rides. Check out my Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/campyonlyguy

I’m also building up the cameras-and-bikes content on my YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/campyonlyguy

I started taking photos on rides in the early 80s, before digital cameras were available. I used disposable cameras back then, but I’ve since graduated to more sophisticated gear.

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
Insta: @CampyOnlyGuy
YouTube: YouTube.com/CampyOnlyGuy

On Jun 2, 2024, at 9:02 AM, Stephen <cavell....@gmail.com> wrote:

Been taking more film photos with the rollei 35 led since recently moving to the sfbay area again and I just got a couple rolls developed. Thought it might be nice to start a conversation for folks to post film photos shot on bike rides.

<kirby.jpeg>
Kirby cove

<rodeo.jpeg>
Rodeo valley

<geese.jpeg>
geese near albany bulb

<tam.jpeg>
Tam from the headlands.

<kirby.jpeg><tam.jpeg><rodeo.jpeg><geese.jpeg>

George Schick

Jun 2, 2024, 5:52:13 PMJun 2
to RBW Owners Bunch
Stephen - I'm jealous.  A while ago I broke out my old Rollei 35s and went to the camera shop to buy a roll of B&W film and a new battery for the light sensor to shoot some photos.  Turned out that the old (~1976) Rollei had developed mechanical issues that prevented the shutter from closing until the film was advanced, overexposing the film.  I couldn't find any shop that would do repairs, but I did find a very involved YouTube explaining how to DIY.  The process was way, way too involved so back in the cabinet went the camera where it will sit for no good reason.

Nick Payne

Jun 2, 2024, 6:08:05 PMJun 2
to RBW Owners Bunch
I don't use film cameras any more, but I've been habitually cycling with a camera for almost 50 years. Some examples from film days, mostly taken with small cameras such as Olympus XA, but some taken with a Makina 67 rollfilm camera:

Various touring rides in the 1980s: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GvbfFA7FMuTqbshL7.

These days I still photograph rides, but with digital cameras. I usually cycle with both a dedicated camera and a phone, but phone cameras are good enough these days that unless I need the extra reach of a camera lens, I mostly use the phone. Here's our last tour in Europe, where apart from the cycle racing in Innsbruck (2018 world championships), where the longer focal length and fast burst mode of the camera came into their own, I took nearly all the photos with my phone.

NIck Payne

jamin orrall

Jun 2, 2024, 6:37:19 PMJun 2
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yay film!  These shots are from a ride a month or two ago, Olympus xa3, hp5, hc-110
Untitled (18) Large.jpeg
Untitled (17) Large.jpeg
Untitled (16) Large.jpegUntitled (15) Large.jpegUntitled (19) Large.jpeg
Untitled (20) Large.jpeg

jamin orrall

Jun 2, 2024, 6:39:18 PMJun 2
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nick those touring shots are wonderful!!!

Steven Sweedler

Jun 2, 2024, 7:56:06 PMJun 2
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Nick, enjoyed both groups of pictures, thanks for sharing.

Steven Sweedler
Plymouth, New Hampshire

Stephen

Jun 3, 2024, 11:58:23 AMJun 3
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great photos Nick and Jamin! Jamin I really like the one with the dog pokin his head out of the car.

George, sorry to hear about your rollei. I have been really enjoying mine since getting it a year or two ago. Recently it fell out of my musette while riding over a windy bridge and something has come loose in the viewfinder, maybe the light meter indicator... but so far still seems to be shooting ok. I'm a little sad to beat it up but also don't want to be scared to use it. Not putting it in the musette anymore.

jamin orrall

Jun 4, 2024, 11:44:32 AMJun 4
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks Stephen!

Nick, did you use the Olympus xa for those 80's tour photos or something else?

Nick Payne

Jun 4, 2024, 5:34:19 PMJun 4
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Wednesday 5 June 2024 at 1:44:32 am UTC+10 jamin orrall wrote:
Nick, did you use the Olympus xa for those 80's tour photos or something else?

All the B&W photos in the album up to the first colour image would have been taken with the XA. The two colour images and the B&W images following on from there were taken with a Plaubel Makina 67, a considerably larger and heavier 120 rollfilm camera that shot ten 6x7 images on each roll of 120 film.

Prior to the appearance of the Olympus XA in about 1980, I took most of my cycling photos with a Rollei 35. When the XA came along, I grabbed one because a) you didn't have to extend the lens before taking a photo, just slide the clamshell cover sideways to uncover the lens, which meant the camera was quicker and easier to use, and b) it had a rangefinder for focusing, unlike the Rollei where setting the focus was guesstimation. With the Olympus, I could actually take the camera out, take a photo, and put the camera away again while still riding along, as with this image:
Scan-110317-0070.jpg

Nick Payne

Jun 4, 2024, 10:43:46 PMJun 4
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nick I'd be happy to see any and all of your bike touring photos you haven't shared, they are great. The Olympus XA and I didn't get along. The weird electronic shutter button (barely a button) just couldn't seam to recognize my finger so after wasting few rolls of film where if I was lucky enough to get the button to work it was a second or two after I wanted to take the photo and probably the 3rd or 5th time I pressed it so focus and composition were lost, I moved on. I'm truly impressed that you nailed that photo above with the same camera. I'm sure the difference in nearly 35 years can explain the fussy shutter button.

Nick Payne

Jun 5, 2024, 8:40:07 AMJun 5
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Wednesday 5 June 2024 at 12:43:46 pm UTC+10 J wrote:
Nick I'd be happy to see any and all of your bike touring photos you haven't shared, they are great.

Here are some more XA cycling-related shots that I like.

The first is another photo taken while riding along, dodging cattle being grazed in the long paddock during a drought - when all the fields on properties have been eaten bare, the farmers bring their stock out onto the road reserves where there is still grass for them to eat on the verges.
Scan-110420-0070.jpg

The next was later on during the same tour - an extremely hot day , and I took the photo to express my feelings about the temperature (I think it was 43C). It was just as well that I had two litres in each front pannier in addition to the waterbottles on the bike, as even that amount of fluid was not enough that day:
Scan-110421-0012.jpg

This one was taken when my wife and I were cycle touring through Victoria. She likes dogs, and we encountered this friendly one on a backroad in the Kiewa Valley:
Scan-110511-0007.jpg

The final photo was at a bicycle rally in Sydney. I can't remember the purpose of the rally, but it was a nice day and we had a good time - they closed several of the road lanes to cars on the Sydney harbour bridge so we could ride across the bridge on the roadway:
Scan-110318-0015.jpg

Nick

George Schick

Jun 5, 2024, 10:01:48 AMJun 5
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nick - excellent photo's.  There's something about B&W film that brings out the surreal nature of various conditions and events that color just can't quite duplicate.  Riding across long stretches of the Canadian prairie self-supported where there is no opportunity for support or relief sounds both bold and risky to me.  But I'm guessing it was an experience that you'll never forget.

Teague Scott

Jun 5, 2024, 3:41:50 PMJun 5
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here are a few I snapped while out on the Alvord Desert playa in eastern Oregon a couple weeks back. Not necessarily a "ride," but definitely got a bit of dusty playa riding in – a great place for close-your-eyes-and-go pedaling!

Shot w/ my Minolta X-700, kentmere 100 pushed to 400 (relative newbie here forgetting to change the ISO setting...). I recently picked up a slick little Minolta 7SII rangefinder, but it's a little precious for rowdy rides. I'd like to find a rugged/cheap point-and-shooty 35mm w/ some manual capability for bikepacking adventures out here in Idaho.

053024001662-R1-E018.jpg
053024001662-R1-E016.jpg
053024001662-R1-E002.jpg

-Teague

Patrick Moore

Jun 5, 2024, 3:58:19 PMJun 5
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Very good! I also enjoyed Nick's photos.

Teague's first photo made me think of Mountain Bike Action's "Huffy Bike Toss" from some 30-35 years ago; IIRC, this ritual was the culmination of rigorous testing of box store "mountain bike shaped objects" where riders would do their best to destroy their samples, after which they'd have a contest to see how far you could fling them.

Patrick Moore

Executive resumes, LinkedIn profiles, bios, letters, and other writing services

When thou didst not, savage, know thine own meaning,

But wouldst gabble like a thing most brutish,

I endowed thy purposes with words that made them known.

Nick Payne

Jun 6, 2024, 6:11:39 AMJun 6
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Thursday 6 June 2024 at 12:01:48 am UTC+10 George Schick wrote:
Riding across long stretches of the Canadian prairie self-supported where there is no opportunity for support or relief sounds both bold and risky to me.  But I'm guessing it was an experience that you'll never forget.

Australia, not Canada. But I suspect (though not having cycled in Canada) that the distances and remoteness are probably much the same.

Nick Payne

Shawn Granton

Jun 6, 2024, 2:15:42 PMJun 6
to RBW Owners Bunch
Here's my contribution:
This is from our weekly Coffee Outside in Portland (every Saturday 9-11 am, check out pdxcoffeeoutside on IG) last month. I was using Rollei Infrared (with red filter) in a Canonet QL17 G-III. --Shawn in PDX

53737533923_5b7234928c_c.jpg