SON light vs B&M IQ X 100

Pam Bikes

Sep 30, 2022, 2:24:46 PM9/30/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thinking about changing lights to see the difference?  Worth it?  Any different?  Also concerned about the connections.  I have the Kasai hub w/the plug and not sure how to connect the SON light.  Will keep the same tail light (B&M Brakelight plus) which I love.   Thoughts?

Jason Fuller

Oct 1, 2022, 5:29:54 PM10/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have each on different bikes and personally, I would say they're in the ballpark of being the same - SON's beam pattern is a little better I think, but the light output has been comparable for my use (nighttime riding in the city mostly, so not pitch black very often). My gripe with the IQ-X has been that I find it harder to securely mount and not get bumped out of alignment - SON's metal mount is easier to secure. I don't know that I could say it's worth the upgrade unless your existing light is on the way out, or if you just like the look of the SON, which is valid!  Me too!!  Oh, the SON's on-off switch is pretty nice - but I am betting you leave yours on all the time anyhow like me :)

Roberta

Oct 1, 2022, 8:01:54 PM10/1/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have SON Edelux II on my Platy and had B&M on my Homer.  It might have been the mounting angles, but I thought the light was brighter and better with the SON, so I switched the Homer to it.  When you're here end of October, perhaps we can pedal together in the dark and you can see your B&M next to my SON and then decide.

I suggest a ride over the Ben Franklin bridge to NJ--It's one of my favorite rides.    Cannot help with the connections though.  @keystonebikes does excellent work on all my bike issues and installed it for me.  They "get" Rivendell and will be at the expo, as well as the party they are hosting Saturday night. I'm sure you can get some good info from them and Riv..

Perhaps you-know-who-we-want-to-come will join us.  :)

https://phillybikeexpo.com/  Oct 29 and 30, downtown Philadelphia, easily accessible by car, Septa, NJ Transit, Amtrak, Greyhound, etc.,  and bike!  They also have free valet bike parking inside.

Roberta