My new 2021 Rivendell CLEM KADIDDLEHOPPER bicycle

Kim Hetzel

Sep 25, 2022, 9:27:22 AM9/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Earlier this month, I decided to make a decision to hop the fence and buy my first Rivendell bicycle as my last bicycle purchase at 67 y. o., after considering buying a SOMA Buena Vista bicycle earlier.

I want to thank a list member out of Utah for giving me the opportunity to do so. He sold me a 59cm Clem Smith Jr. "L" bicycle in olive green. Ideally, I would love to have one in that light blue color.

The bicycle is not even a year old yet. The seller bought it from a guy in his neighborhood in February of this past year. The original owner bought the bike last December of 2021.
After receiving and reassembling it, I did some modifications along the way. I changed out those micro-shifters for f/r derailleurs and installed an old pair of Suntour ratchet bar-con friction shifters(YES ! .. the shifting works well), removed the cork ERGON grips, installed a new pair of MKS Grip Monarch pedals, stole my Brooks B67S saddle off of my 1984 Raleigh Elkhorn and my Topeak MTX Trunk Bag DXP Bicycle Trunk Bag. I added some water bottle cages out of my parts drawers.

I tried not using the shim for my Sakae Ringyo MTE-100 seatpost with the stock 29.8 seatpost. I just placed my Brooks saddle on there and moved it as far back as I could.  So far, it is working for me.

I purchased one bike's worth new Dia-Compe DC980 cantilever brakes in silver and a new pair of Dia-Compe SS-6 Brake Levers in silver, a NITTO A-2 rear cable stopper  and a NOS vintage Dia-Compe front cable hanger. Sometime down the road, I would like to buy the NITTO cable hanger.

I am planning on buying a set of Velo Orange Fluted 700c x 63 fenders in polished silver later on before the seasonal rains come here on the west coast of Washington state.
At this point in time, I have only ridden my CLEM KADIDDLEHOPPER four times. I really like riding and sitting upright in the saddle a lot. It is nice to have fat tires. Reminds me of my 2012 Salsa Mukluk 3 on a smaller scale. Having a step-through frame helps not having to swing my leg over the back end of the bicycle and having it hurt. It's cool having a long wheel base. This reminds me of the tandems that I owned in the past.

I rode a 1973 Cilo Sprint-X road bike that I turned into a sports touring bike for nearly 40 years. It fit me very well for a production bike. I truly loved this bike. I rode it thousands of miles. I got older. I got tired of riding in the drops and longed for riding a different bike with an upright riding position. I retired this bike in 2011.

The Elkhorn was nice, but it truly did not fit me. The weight of it bothered me the most, after my modifications.

I think I am going to grow in love with this one and say good-bye and sell my Raleigh Elkhorn here in the near future.
Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.

20220919_182751 (2).jpg

st nick

Sep 25, 2022, 1:48:24 PM9/25/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kim.

You really have that Clem set up nice!

I think I remember you used to post on the ibob years back?

I recall your name from somewhere.
Maybe just on the riv list.
Memory fades.

Enjoy that terrific Clem and safe riding.

Paul in Dallas

.

Kim Hetzel

Sep 25, 2022, 3:07:02 PM9/25/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Paul,

I thank-you for your compliments on my Clem "L".

I seldom post on the IBOB LIst. Every once in awhile you can see me therein.
This the first time I have joined and posted on RBW LIST.  I felt reason to since I now own a RIvendell Clem Smith Jr. "L" bicycle.

Thank-you your regards and wishing for my safety.

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA

Richard Rose

Sep 26, 2022, 7:42:25 AM9/26/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Congrats on your acquisition of a Clem. I got mine last January & turned 67 in June. Never been more comfortable on a bike, and I’ve had a few in my nearly 5 decades of riding. You are going to love it - the perfect do almost everything bicycle.
Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 26, 2022, at 12:59 AM, Kim Hetzel <krhe...@gmail.com> wrote:

20220919_182751 (2).jpg

Kim Hetzel

Sep 26, 2022, 8:50:50 AM9/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi rmro,

I turned 67 this past April.
I have yet to take it off road and find out what type of animal it is; meaning how it handles.
Have you taken your Clem off road ?
I am growing to love it more and more each time I ride it.
What color is your Clem Jr. L ?
Do you have pictures to share ?

Thank-you.

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.

Richard Rose

Sep 26, 2022, 9:04:42 AM9/26/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Do I have pictures to share? Ha! Check out my Instagram; richard_m_rose. Here is a sample.
I have not done any “rough stuff” but have done a lot of gravel, hardpack, crushed limestone & mild singletrack. This bike handles it all with grace & aplomb. 9 months & 2,500 miles and it never stops amazing me. Bosco, B67 & 48mm Gravelking SS tires set up tubeless. It’s a comfortable, confidence inspiring ride every time out. Also did a 6 day loaded bikepacking tour. It was the perfect riding / camping companion.
image0.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone

Doug H.

Sep 26, 2022, 1:36:32 PM9/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Kim,
I think you'll fin the Clem performs well on almost any surface. I ride most of my miles on asphalt but have ridden some gravel and it excels there too. Here is a photo from a recent stretch of gravel road.

Instagram is a great place to see Clem photos! I'm on there as doug_rides_solo

Doug
Athens, Ga

C383D169-C8ED-4C5E-ACAD-73B81F4323EF.jpg

Kim Hetzel

Sep 26, 2022, 2:56:44 PM9/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Richard,

I thank-you so much for sharing a picture of your Clem Smith Jr. "L" bicycle with the option of seeing more on your Instagram account. It is very comforting to know that we are both seniors and share the expressions of comfort and love of this bicycle in many ways. You have experience it more so than I have. I have yet to discover these qualities and/or capabilities of this bike down the road as I ride it more. I thank-you for the reassurance.

What double-legged kickstand do you have on your Clem ? .... a Hebie ?

That MASI... Wow, what a bike !  I remember those.

Are you in Ohio ?

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA

Kim Hetzel

Sep 26, 2022, 3:13:31 PM9/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Doug,

I thank-you for sharing a picture of your Clem Smith Jr. "L" bicycle. Looks really cool.
Yes, I, too, have been riding mostly on asphalt pavement. However, I will be riding on dirt trails soon, building back my strength.
It is nice to know that this bike is an ATB. Just what I wanted.
Enjoy.

Richard Rose

Sep 26, 2022, 6:06:30 PM9/26/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Ohio, yes. Toledo specifically. The Masi and other road bike pics are of bikes in my temporary custody. I am trying to sell them for a deceased friends daughters. The Masi did sell.

Sent from my iPhone

Richard Rose

Sep 26, 2022, 6:09:34 PM9/26/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
It’s a Pletscher stand. It’s really handy - and I hate kickstands. Or I thought I did.:)

Sent from my iPhone

Kim Hetzel

Sep 26, 2022, 10:47:58 PM9/26/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Richard,

Thank-you for sharing exactly where you are located in Ohio.

I want to get a double - legged Pletscher kick stand in silver sometime down the road for my Clem. I had one on my Salsa LHT. It was really nice.

Enjoy.

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.

Richard Rose

Sep 27, 2022, 2:36:56 PM9/27/22
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I found mine on Amazon. It was a last minute purchase prior to my 6 day bikepacking trip. It was a really nice thing to have - not always looking for something to lean the bike on. It turns out to be a nice thing to have all of the time - as you can see from my pictures.:)

Sent from my iPhone

Kim Hetzel

Sep 27, 2022, 3:24:22 PM9/27/22
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank-you, Richard for tip of your location of purchase.  I appreciate it.
Yes, it is a very nice thing to have on one's bike. I loved mine on my LHT.

Kim Hetzel
Yelm, WA.