FS Surly Long Haul trucker

Andrew Huston

Oct 23, 2021, 11:57:20 AM10/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was looking for an all around type bike and happened to find a NOS 54 LHT. While it was being packed and shipped I got in on the Clem Lotto and was fortunate to snag a complete. I definitely do not need both now and looking to sell. Box is packed and ready to you out. I paid $1500 total and I’d like to not take a bath so asking same-ish considering shipping etc. discontinued model at this point. Don’t have a photo due to being boxed so please use google to see images. Build is as follows

  • Shimano 3 x 9 drivetrain bar-end shifters LX hubs and rear derailleur
  • 100% Surly 4130 chromoly steel. Main triangle double butted. Fork is lugged and brazed
  • Tektro CR720 canti brakes and Michelin City 26 x 1.85" tires
  • Microshift  bar end shifters

Doug H.

Oct 23, 2021, 1:53:00 PM10/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats Andrew on the Clem purchase. Which color did you select?
Doug

aeroperf

Oct 23, 2021, 4:34:46 PM10/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
The LHT is one of the world’s best medium/heavy touring bikes.  You might consider cross-posting to the bicycle touring group.

Ian A

Oct 23, 2021, 5:58:13 PM10/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
The 54cm has the sought after 26" wheel size, and with a 56cm top tube, so fits a  lot of riders. A NOS rim brake one is becoming a rare find. People almost always want to know what color it is though. Maybe a couple of photos with it partially unboxed would be a good idea.

IanA Alberta Canada

Andrew Huston

Oct 24, 2021, 3:36:43 PM10/24/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
B74C23F9-CF6F-484F-89A0-2763F49EB512.jpegIndeed 26 is becoming hard to find. Here is a little shot to hopefully show color.

Andrew Huston

Oct 24, 2021, 3:37:47 PM10/24/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I managed to get a green which I am very excited for. Your web special looks killer with this big tires!

Eric Marth

Oct 24, 2021, 7:08:25 PM10/24/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I might be trippin' but I think Surly called this color Hot Mayonnaise.

Andrew Huston

Oct 24, 2021, 7:21:04 PM10/24/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
That was a color but I believe for the first gen midnight special.

David Person

Oct 25, 2021, 11:08:28 AM10/25/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
This past August I purchased a 64cm Disc Trucker frameset, the newer version with thru-axles.   I built it up with same handlebars, seatpost, seat, pedals, tires as my 62cm Sam Hillborne (2015 double TT).  Surprisingly, the two weigh and ride quite similarly.  Got the DT frameset to have a second bike that would fit fenders with Snoqualmie Pass tires.  When I moved up from Barlow Pass to Snoqualmie Pass on the SH, fenders would no longer fit.

I was concerned about how the DT would ride with it's oversize tubing, but I find it rides great.  the SH has an oversize down tube of 31.8mm like the DT and 2 top tubes of 28.6mm vs the single top tube of 31.8mm on the DT, but I think the top tube on the DT is thinner gauge, justing by the pitch of ring when tapping on it.  Seat tube on both are 28.6mm.

Navin Nestle

Oct 26, 2021, 10:34:29 AM10/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
9FBDDBA4-4F4D-416B-BD97-8485B3752479.jpeg
Truckers are definitely the unsung hero of the Surly lineup. Here’s mine

Ron Frazelle

Oct 26, 2021, 11:00:29 AM10/26/21
to RBW-Owners Group
I absolutely loved my Trucker...like really loved it! I did a lot of miles on it and selling it was a huge mistake. Anyway...Here is a link to a blog post I did going over the build...take a read if you'd like...it's good "bike porn". :)

https://declarationoffreewheel.com/2017/04/18/my-mother-truckin-trucker/

Ron

"Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world." - Grant Petersen

Navin Nestle

Oct 26, 2021, 12:57:05 PM10/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_1292.jpg

One more try, thanks Google.

Andrew Huston

Oct 26, 2021, 9:10:26 PM10/26/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Ron, I agree. This is an unassuming bike that can get plenty done with basic stuff. I love that people build it with so many different ideas and make it quite a unique canvas.

Keith Weaver

Oct 27, 2021, 4:24:56 PM10/27/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
This topic is definitely interesting to me. I have a circa 2017 26" Disc Trucker, and I've been debating whether I should replace it with an Atlantis or maybe an Appaloosa. The input here is making it sound like I may not notice too much difference between my DT and either of those bikes, maybe I can hold off my new bike lust for a bit longer.

ascpgh

Oct 28, 2021, 7:31:38 AM10/28/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have a 2012 Disc Trucker as my commuter. It gets a lot of miles from its daily use, year round, regardless of weather. I also have a Rambouillet I can compare it to but it fits me better than the Surly because of its shorter top tube design. The Ram isn't an equal comparison to an Atlantis or Appaloosa and it is very clearly contrasting to the Disc Trucker.
2C12FAAF-C98E-4B41-9F97-80D763E3FA89_1_105_c.jpeg

The DT is for loads and the tubing spec makes it clear when riding it unloaded, the Atlantis too. I'm not quite as confident about the Appaloosa relative to loaded touring versus loaded shopping compared to the Atlantis. The website has Grant's Appa pictured and described as an everyday bike.

The DT's long top tube is expected from a loaded touring bike and its intentionally longer wheelbase and chainstays. It's a bit too long for me, even with a short stem. I could have picked an even shorter one but it begins to destabilize the front since it wasn't made for that like Analog's bikes. I could have picked the next size down for a closer top tube fit but I'd have to shop for super long setback seatposts, the rare high rise threadless stem and a Shriner's fez. Riv addresses their longer top tube recommending upright swept back bars.

Rivendell pins the Atlantis as their identity bike. I feel like it's road sibling, my Rambouillet, should have had equal billing but lost out in their unifying definition of bikes being more utilitarian, which I get. Bikes should also be fun and the Rambouillet is that. The road models, Roadini and Roadeo, are now less utilitarian than the combo/Country bikes, Homer and Sam or my Ram. In the Sam and Homer descriptions they even say to look at the Appaloosa if loads above 35-40# are going to be your gig (not the Atlantis?).

The few times that I've taken my Disc Trucker on rides beyond ten miles for its dyno lighting I found it uncomfortable and unnecessarily beaten up because of both the too long of front center and the too rigid ride compared to my Ram. I shared these perceptions when having a frame and fork made for me by Johnny Coast so he could pick tubes to reach the balance of being able to carry a front load of 20-25 lbs but not ride like a truck the rest of the time when ridden unburdened. Besides being designed to my dimensions, it is a very comfortable bike and has accommodated all of my riding very well.  If I were of stock dimensions maybe the DT would be a good ongoing chassis keeping me from seeking better. I suspect that even if of a better fit that I'd find it too sturdy to reward my appreciation of more lively framed and forked bikes.

Do you load your DT for much of its riding? Do you use it as an every day bike with occasional service as a beast of burden? Do you take it out on long rides for your enjoyment? Do you ride it on trails? These would be good guides to decide if the Disc Trucker has been the optimum bike for your uses. For me it was less than optimum in fit and heft of construction but cost less complete than anything more bespoke and was of a stable geometry that suited my needs.

Andy Cheatham
Pittsburgh

Ryan Nute

Oct 29, 2021, 11:31:55 AM10/29/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've had a couple 26" LHTs.  Fine enough bikes but not the same ride as a Rivendell.

Ryan

Andrew Huston

Oct 29, 2021, 3:32:15 PM10/29/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I was lucky enough to find a gent who is very excited to buy this bike for a tour. It’s on its way to ABQ
Thanks for all the input !

David Person

Oct 29, 2021, 4:01:09 PM10/29/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congratulations, Andrew.

Keith Weaver

Oct 29, 2021, 4:40:07 PM10/29/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm very glad to hear that! I was feeling guilty that I was burying the actual for sale post in my speculations. I hope they enjoy their tour on it. That's mostly what I've done with mine, and I have enjoyed it.