can anyone relate--getting older (50) and back into cycling: finding drops not so easy...

canali

Jun 6, 2011, 11:55:53 AM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
just wondering if it's just me and i need to take my time adding the
mileage and being consistent and patient (and getting back into
shape)

OR do alot of us as we get older no longer find being so bent down as
comfortable...thinking of swapping out drops on atlantis for jeff
jones h loop bars or the north road bars.

naw...@comcast.net

Jun 6, 2011, 2:56:57 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Im 50+, have drops on the Rodeo and mustache bars on the SimpleOne.  The m-bars on mated to a dirt drop stem.  I love this semi upright position, and almost prefer it alot of times to drop bar rides.

Dave Nawrocki
Fort Collins, CO

Robert F. Harrison

Jun 6, 2011, 2:58:09 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I rode drops in my 20's and early 30's. Then I more or less gave up cycling though I did have a mountain bike around. I picked up again about 3 years ago after turning 50 fell in love with moustache bars. Apparently they aren't for everyone but those of us who like 'em seem to swear by them (as opposed to at them). I really like the fact that I can be fairly upright and still get aero when needed.

Indeed a I just had a lovely 70 mile ride on them yesterday and was comfortable the whole way.

Aloha!

Anne Paulson

Jun 6, 2011, 2:59:08 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
How high are your drops?

--
-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels

Steve Palincsar

Jun 6, 2011, 3:09:10 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Drop bars != "so bent down" (and 50 isn't exactly "older," either, at
least not from the perspective of one born during the summer of 1942).
Set the bars at a height that's comfortable. For me, that's just at or
very slightly below seat height.

Back in early May several members of the group attended a Riv Rally in
Wellsboro, Pennsylvania. Photos taken at the rally are available in the
Riv Rally East Flickr group
http://www.flickr.com/groups/1691409@N23/pool/show/
You might find them interesting.

Some bikes had drop bars, some flat bars. Nobody felt uncomfortable,
and as you can see in the photos, pretty much all the riding positions
look very similar, regardless of what kind of bars the bikes had.

John Bennett

Jun 6, 2011, 3:27:02 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm 55, and ride Albatross bars every day. Pretty sure my Drop Bar
Days are behind me, and I could care less.

Komfort is King!

John @ RBW HQ

SISDDWG

Jun 6, 2011, 3:46:29 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch

I'm 71 years old and ride drop bars at about saddle level, though my
weekly mileage these days is probably a little less than 100.

Sarah Gibson

Jun 6, 2011, 3:50:25 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
never got outta cycling once i started again as an adult(prolly round 35 or so)
but i dont have one single road bike with drop bars. never found em useful here.
mustache bars, flat bars, arc bars all variety of "tourist" bars old and new etc etc

well behaved women rarely make history
_ride yr friggin bicycle_

> Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 12:46:29 -0700
> Subject: [RBW] Re: can anyone relate--getting older (50) and back into cycling: finding drops not so easy...
> From: dge...@gmail.com
> To: rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

cyclot...@gmail.com

Jun 6, 2011, 3:58:49 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, that's the big question. Bump them up 4-5cm above the saddle,
and you may find you like them again. As you put on miles you can
lower them back to saddle height, or simply leave them up. The extra
hand positions from drops are definitely nice to have.

On Jun 6, 11:59 am, Anne Paulson <anne.paul...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How high are your drops?

Thomas Lynn Skean

Jun 6, 2011, 4:16:41 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
+1 ... loving the Albatross bar.

But call me fickle. The Moustache bar is a close second. And the
Bullmoose bar is a decent third and fourth (better on a stilt, but fun
as can be "as it comes" for < 3-hour rides). Noodles are also good for
shorter-term variety. I never stay in one place too long on them. I do
wish they made a 50cm (or even a 52cm!) Noodle, though. Would they be
just too flex-y or something?

For me I think it's a longer-term analogue to pedaling without
retention. The bike itself is better because I have bar choices. I
wonder... if I continue to enjoy "mixing it up" with handlebars this
way, perhaps I never totally burn out on any one bar. That'd be cool!

I think I may apply this longer-term approach to all of the interface
components. Maybe I'll ride a wide sprung saddle sometimes (B67
instead of my B17?). Maybe I'll use wider pedals sometimes (Sylvan
instead of my beloved Grip Kings?).

Bikes are great!

Yours,
Thomas Lynn Skean
who eschews interface component loyalty

Michael_S

Jun 6, 2011, 4:17:17 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Everytime I try something different than drop bars I never seem to
feel comfortable. M-bars, VO Milan bars, I even tried some Mountain
drop bars. I still come back to drops... specifcally 46cm Noodles.
Mine are at seat height and with a Brooks B17 I am "snug as a bug in a
rug".

~mike

On Jun 6, 12:58 pm, "cyclotour...@gmail.com" <cyclotour...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > My hovercraft is full of eels- Hide quoted text -

Jim Cloud

Jun 6, 2011, 4:50:30 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've ridden done most of my riding with drop bars (for about 40 years
now...), most recently with Nitto Mod. 185 bars on my Riv (these are
now sold by Rivendell in a lightened version called "Mark's Bar") and
the original equipment Cinelli Giro D'Italia bars on my Paramount. I
don't, however, ride on the drops. The bars are set, in the proper
Rivendell manner, at a height relatively level with the saddle. Drop
bars provide a number of comfortable hand positions, without using the
drops, and I don't feel any particular reason to use the drops.

I've also used Mustache bars, but after some time, I decided that they
really aren't very comfortable. The most easily used hand position on
Mustache bars, riding on the hoods, puts the body in a "aero"
position that I don't like.

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ

Mojo

Jun 6, 2011, 7:00:54 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
After reading all the replies here by all you old farts, I realized I
am one too. Started riding seriously in High School in 1972 on drop
bars, the only bar available except on those English Racers.

I have a Priest (Riv pre-Albatross) bar on my towny 3 speed (yes an
English Racer: 1966 Robin Hood) and a mtn bike bar on my mtn bike, and
I tried a Mustache bar on my Allrounder for nearly 3 years. I have
always come back to a drop bar, now setup as old farts should near
saddle height. Tops, ramps, hoods, drops, that kind of variation
speaks to old fart comfort in my view. Continuing in my retrogrouch
POV, the Noodle is the best drop bar ever and they are bolted on the
rest of my bikes. There is a reasonable chance I will have one in my
death grip on that profound day.
> > jones h loop bars or the north road bars.- Hide quoted text -

MichaelH

Jun 6, 2011, 7:37:59 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I took about a ten year break from cycling in my forties when life
demanded I focus exclusively on other things. When I started back, I
set two rules for myself which proved very useful. First I went on a
(Atkins) diet and lost 40 lbs. Second, as I recommitted myself I
decided to avoid riding so much on any day that I wouldn't want to
ride again tomorrow. Both of those proved to be very useful
decisions. About the same time I discovered Rivendell and I raised my
bars. Setting them about 2 cm below my saddle provided great relieve
to my back and especially my neck muscles.

Drop bars provide the most variety for hand positions, which relieve
stress on the wrist & shoulders. I found putting them higher than
the saddle prevented me from standing up, and Vt has lots of short
steep rollers to get over, which are often easiest if you stand up and
give some push.

I'm in my mid-late 60's now and continue to ride with drop bars about
2 cm below the seat. I do some yoga after every ride now. I've lost
a lot of power and speed, and this year feel a drop in endurance, but
as long as I don't look at a bike computer too much, my happiness per
mile hasn't trailed off.

Drop bars also offer the least stress on the buns and maybe the feet
too, which have been a problem for me.

michael
just back from a happy, hilly 20 mile ride.

PATRICK MOORE

Jun 6, 2011, 7:42:42 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
+1 for drops, and not too wide, either. I've been playing around with
bars on different bikes and recently lowered the Noodles on the Fargo
by a good 5 cm (they were 8 above and felt fine, except that riding on
the hoods and flats felt "tippy". Now they feel good all around except
that they are too far forward but I will remedy that by swapping them
out for Salsa Bell Laps, much shallower and shorter. (The Fargo is set
up for dirt roads.)

The Herse has the bar (39.5 Belleris) about 75 mm below saddle on a 9
cm stem, saddles the same as the Rivs, and I was thinking how nice it
is and perhaps I ought to raise and extend the bars on the 2 Rivs from
8 cm stem and 4 cm below to the same, but riding one of the Rivs
today, it felt so good that I think I will leave it alone for now. I
can always do it later, but why mess with success? I ride a lot in the
hooks, too, thanks to our winds.

Each to his own, of course.

PATRICK MOORE

Jun 6, 2011, 7:43:02 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to add: 56 yrs old.

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM

A billion stars go spinning through the night
Blazing high above your head;
But in you is the Presence that will be
When all the stars are dead.
(Rilke, Buddha in Glory)

PATRICK MOORE

Jun 6, 2011, 7:46:43 PM6/6/11
On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM, MichaelH <mhec...@gmail.com> , late 60, wrote:

> Drop bars also offer the  least stress on the buns and maybe the feet
> too, which have been a problem for me.

Amen to that, and thanks for your inspiring example. I am always
pleased to find that a good saddle position and bar postion makes
buns, shoulders, neck, arms, hands comfortable, far more effect than
any gloves or padding (I don't wear gloved or padded shorts). AND I
rode in briefs (under street shorts!) today, too, and briefs as
opposed to boxers are generally not as comfortable, but I completely
forgot about them while riding.

Steve Palincsar

Jun 6, 2011, 7:49:50 PM6/6/11
On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 17:46 -0600, PATRICK MOORE wrote:
> briefs as opposed to boxers are generally not as comfortable, but I
> completely forgot about them while riding.

Try doing that on a century sometime and you may find the leg elastics
leaving an indelible impression on both mind and body. I still remember
my first century attempt, in 1973 - always brings this song to mind.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lhf9U5Wf3Q

EricP

Jun 6, 2011, 8:20:02 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
1+ to that, Steve. Have scars from short-er rides back in the 1980's
when commuting to college. Then often riding around after class.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN

PATRICK MOORE

Jun 6, 2011, 8:46:02 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Steve, you have a low mind.

Patrick "don't let me even think about that" Moore

Bill M.

Jun 6, 2011, 8:55:58 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
52 years young here, and for me drops are the only comfortable long-
distance option. I do have and like the Noodles, but I find that the
modern 'compact' or 'short-n-shallow' shaped bars have some
advantages. The short drop makes the drop position easier to reach
without the raising tops so high that standing to climb feels
ungainly. The short reach seems to me more appropriate when using
modern brake levers. Long reach bars were designed for non-aero brake
levers. Modern brake levers (be they brifters or Tektro or SRAM aero
levers) allow a hand position that's a couple of cm further forward
than did non-aero or even early aero levers. The shorter reach of the
compact bars compensates for that extra reach.

I use a 3T Ergosum bar on my go-fast (with Campy brifters) and find
its very comfortable whether on the hoods, the ramps, the hooks or the
drops. Unfortunately it's only available in black and 31.8. Ritchie
now makes a bar called the Classic Curve that looks similar, same
drop, a bit less reach, still 31.8 but polished silver. It should
look OK with a silver VO stem and a threadless adapter.

I have another bike with a Salsa Woodchipper off-road drop bar. It's
very short reach, very short drop, very wide and very flared in the
drops. It looks a bit awkward and makes parking the bike harder, but
once rolling I find it's pretty comfortable.

the Noodles are on my Riv, but with a shorter stem than I used to
ride. Even with the tops at saddle height the drops feel low and the
hoods far away. I'm tempted to try the Classic Curve on that bike.
I'm already using a threadless stem and adapter so the swap would be
easy. And the threadless + adapter combo is actually lighter than the
Technomic Deluxe it replaced.

Bill

I really recommend you try a compact or short-n-shallow bar before you
write off drops. Grinding into a headwind on North Roads just isn't a
lot of fun.

PATRICK MOORE

Jun 6, 2011, 9:01:51 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone tried these or the functional equivalents?

http://www.compasscycle.com/images/MaesPara800.jpg

(From Compass Bicycles: http://www.compasscycle.com/Handlebars.html)

Copies of these, apparently: http://www.bikequarterly.com/images/Hersefixed.jpg

Me, Ahm 'a thinkin' that they may well do very nicely as replacements
for the Nitto 185s on the 8 cm Nitto stems on my two low-bar Riv
customs.

Jim Cloud

Jun 6, 2011, 9:10:11 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Patrick,
I think the Grand Bois Maes Parallel type bars look quite nice. Peter
Weigle used them on his "Black Tie" bike that was featured in BQ.
Here's a link to Weigle's Photostream of that bike:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/sets/72157625305683679/with/5209479494/

Still it begs the question, why would you want to replace the Nitto
Mod. 185 bars on your Riv customs? I think the Mod 185 is one of the
nicest bars I've used. Just thinking...

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ
> > For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/rbw-owners-bunch?hl=en.
>
> --
> Patrick Moore
> Albuquerque, NM
> For professional resumes, contact
> Patrick Moore, ACRW
> patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com

charlie

Jun 6, 2011, 9:12:06 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Are you riding with your hands on the drop part of the bar.....if so
move on up to the hoods and get a tall enough stem the right length.
You want your back angle to be about 45-50 degrees. Sitting more
upright than that might be comfortable for shorter rides but its less
than ideal for a good blend of performance and comfort. The drop bar
properly set up allows one to use the tops for the most upright (with
that bar) position and three other useful hand positions.

Bertin753

Jun 6, 2011, 9:16:06 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, RBW Owners Bunch
Jim -- I look at nice, tight, shallow bend on the "PRallels"

Bertin753

Jun 6, 2011, 9:20:13 PM6/6/11
to Bertin753, rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Damned iPhone.

As I was saying, I look at that tight bend with long ramps -- 135 mm drop, 115 mm reach -- and they look so comfortable. The 185s are very nice but, if you have them set up with the statutory level ends, the ramps are very short and steep.

Sent from my iPhone

Bill Gibson (III)

Jun 6, 2011, 9:31:40 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If drops aren't more comfortable than "mountain bike" bars, and they're at the same height as the saddle or above, you'll more comfortable as you limber up and lose the gut; well, that's my experience, not yours, so take it with some windage...but even when younger (now at 56), the paunch that appears when not riding will eventually shrink while riding, diet permitting.

The "North Road" type,  like the Albatross and Porteurs, the ends point back and are good for my wrists, but don't offer as many postions as a good drop bar.

I think most riders on the new-fangled brake/shifters don't seem to use much more than a straight bar with the brifter, acting as bar ends.

Ultimately, the wrists and the ulnar nerves tell me what a good bar is, especially when I can use a range of postitions: crouch to sprint, stand to power on, sit to spin or look around.

--
Bill Gibson
Tempe, Arizona, USA

Mike S

Jun 6, 2011, 10:39:34 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm 25 and I only ride Moustache bars, and would bet Albatross's would
be heavenly for me as well. Noodles came with my Quickbeam and I
abhorred the whole crouched over, knees-in-the-chest speedy position.
I tend to ride longer & more joyfully when I'm not hating life for the
sake of an aerodynamic advantage. As I think Sheldon said re:
singlespeed touring, but the same applies, "why be in a hurry to get
somewhere on a bike"?

The Rivendell fit approach has really transformed my relationship with
cycling to blissed out love in the 2+ years I've caught on. From
healthful, fun activity to viable means of transportation & spiritual
vehicle, if I dare...

On Jun 6, 9:16 pm, Bertin753 <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Jim -- I look at nice, tight, shallow bend on the "PRallels"
>
> On Jun 6, 2011, at 7:10 PM, Jim Cloud <Cloud...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Patrick,
> > I think the Grand Bois Maes Parallel type bars look quite nice.  Peter
> > Weigle used them on his "Black Tie" bike that was featured in BQ.
> > Here's a link to Weigle's Photostream of that bike:
> >http://www.flickr.com/photos/49353569@N00/sets/72157625305683679/with...

pruckelshaus

Jun 6, 2011, 2:55:01 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, yeah. I'm not quite that old (44), but I find myself riding on
the hoods or the tops 100% of the time...I virtually never ride the
drops. I use SRAM Apex on one bike and Dura Ace 7700 on the other, so
brifters all around. Pop the stem up a bit and see if it helps.

Pete

robert zeidler

Jun 6, 2011, 3:03:52 PM6/6/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Most of mike road bikes are drops, but.... I do have a newly acquired
Hunqapillar w/ the Albatross bars. It's a nice position, comfort
wise, and I really enjoy riding it. I've said here before, it makes
me feel like I'm back in 5th grade and how can that be bad?

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 2:56 PM, <naw...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Im 50+, have drops on the Rodeo and mustache bars on the SimpleOne.  The
> m-bars on mated to a dirt drop stem.  I love this semi upright position, and
> almost prefer it alot of times to drop bar rides.
>

> Dave Nawrocki
> Fort Collins, CO

islaysteve

Jun 6, 2011, 3:23:25 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
To add my 2 cents to the discussion: I'm a decade older than 50 (in 3
days!) and last Fall I started getting back into cycling after a
hiatus of about 7 years. I had converted my older road bike to flat
mtn bars for my daughter, and she loved it (still does). I thought I
did too, so I did the same conversion to my road bike. I tried to
like it, but I guess I didn't try too hard, because after about 2
rides I started converting it back to drops. I did get the Nitto
Technomic (taller) stem, and I liked that better. Now that I build up
my Riv, I still have the drop bars and they are currently set at about
seat level. I like them there and I don't really see lowering them.
My mileage isn't too high yet but I'm generally comfortable on the
bike. I really need the variety of hand positions that the drops give
me. I was tempted to try moustache bars but read that many don't like
them, so why change if I like what I've got? YMMV, Steve

jeffrey kane

Jun 6, 2011, 3:44:26 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Of course, this really all depends on what kind of riding you intend
to do. Around town or out on the road for 2 to 3 hours at a stretch?
Most importantly, keep in mind that 50 is like, the new 30 ... and the
minute you start suggesting to yourself that you're getting "older",
well ... I'd suggest taking your time, being patient and relearning to
love the drops.

Anyway, no doubt, you're going to get plenty of good suggestions
here!

jsk, b. 6/2/61

canali

Jun 6, 2011, 4:02:11 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Anne Paulson wrote:
> How high are your drops?

they were a at saddle height...then i changed them to be 2 cm above
i should be on a 51 atlantis (needing a 52-53 cm tt, vs the 55 on the
53 that I do ride...so reach is a bit)
...sure I could get a shorter stem (i have a 90mm on it) or a shorter
ramped bar, but maybe it's just that I"m ''new'' to it again and that
sort of foreign leaned over body position...was thinking of going
albatross, or better yet the north bars(slightly better wrist
allignment over albatross)...or jeff jones loop bar (relatively new)

> On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 8:55 AM, canali <jwco...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > just wondering if it's just me and i need to take my time adding the
> > mileage and being consistent  and patient (and getting back into
> > shape)

pb

Jun 6, 2011, 4:36:00 PM6/6/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
At the risk of stating the obvious, this is a complicated subject,
with more variables than just drop bars or no.

-- stem height
-- stem reach
-- bar drop
-- bar reach
-- bar ramps
-- brake lever design
-- maybe saddle position as well

At 54, I happily ride drop bars, as follows:

-- bar tops are about 1" below top of saddle
-- ramps are absolutely flat, and flow straight into the tops of the
levers
-- Levers are modern Campy ergo (or the Tektro copies), and offer big,
comfy handrests and smooth transitions from the ramps
-- I ride mostly on the lever tops
-- I drop into the drops for fast descents (better stability) or
sometimes in case of headwinds
-- I have played around with a lot of bars, and the Ritchey Pro feels
the best to me (46 width, but maybe that's a tangential subject).
YMMV. I strongly prefer ergo bars. For those who don't like the look
of ergo bars, I suggest that the appearance issues are minimized when
one is actually riding.
-- My stems are maybe ~1cm shorter than they were twenty years ago,
10-11 instead of 11-12
-- I ride Avocet M40 saddles, and Specialized Toupe saddles. I run
both of those flat, or perhaps a teeny smidge nose-up. If you get
tipped forward, that can influence this discussion substantially. And
the high-bar folks are steadily rotating their saddles back past flat,
I assume because they are rotating their pelvises and sit bones in
that direction.

I would like to have a classic bike built up, and I have plenty of
parts -- and frames -- to do it, but classic bars combined with
classic brake levers are so stunningly un-ergonomic (IMO, YMMV) that
there is no point to bothering. Campy NR or SR levers, or Mafac
levers, have such a small hand platform.... I could ride them when I
was 25, but I am no longer interested. Yes, they look beautiful when
viewed from a standing position five feet away from the side of the
bike, but that doesn't help me much at mile 90, with 40 to go.

Lastly, yes, more miles will help the issue, as will stretching and
some lifting, especially deadlifts, tricep extensions, and core work.

Don't give up on drops too quickly. They offer the best combination
of positions.

Cheers,

pb

On Jun 6, 8:55 am, canali <jwcoll...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> just wondering if it's just me and i need to take my time adding the
> mileage and being consistent  and patient (and getting back into
> shape)

SISDDWG

Jun 7, 2011, 12:41:24 AM6/7/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
"I've lost
a lot of power and speed, and this year feel a drop in endurance, but
as long as I don't look at a bike computer too much, my happiness per
mile hasn't trailed off."

Yep, I had a computer on all six of my bikes but when I reached 65
years of age all the computers were remove. I enjoy cycling as much as
ever.

charlie

Jun 7, 2011, 2:03:00 AM6/7/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I took mine off a couple years ago because I found myself looking at
it instead of where I was going along with having the mindset of
trying to go faster......it just seemed pointless. Like you, I enjoy
riding more because of it......to the original poster.... I can
relate, I turn 53 in September and figure I'm on the downward curve so
I'm enjoying everything I can now.

Bill Gibson (III)

Jun 7, 2011, 2:15:02 AM6/7/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
If you don't ever use the drops you are either going too slow, setting the bars too low, or don't need them. Ahem.

Philip Williamson

Jun 7, 2011, 3:26:20 AM6/7/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hahaha! That cracked me up.

Philip

PATRICK MOORE

Jun 7, 2011, 3:49:25 AM6/7/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Speaking of bars, I could use an 8 cm 1 1/8" threadless stem,
preferably black, 10* rise or modest rise; for the Fargo.

Can trade goods or pay cash.

Thanks.

Jay LePree

Jun 7, 2011, 5:16:04 AM6/7/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi all:

Interesting post from Dave M. a couple of months ago regarding drop
bar positioning.

http://davesbikeblog.squarespace.com/blog/2011/3/28/leisure-riding-position.html

I tried this on one of my bikes where I noticed that as I became
tired, I would ride in the drops (much below the saddle) and hold the
the ends of the bar. It was just a natural position for me - low and
close as I tired. I did not feel any more strain on my neck or back,
probably because my back angle had not changed much. So far the
experiment has been successful. This placement of the bars may not
work if one is already using short stem. I did NOT try this on my
Rambouillet where the saddle is even with the seat. The bike fits me
so well, I do not want to alter my riding position. I do notice
however on the Rambouillet that as I tire, I also start to use the
drop with my hands way back on the ends of the bars.

Perhaps Canall can consider keeping the bars at their current height,
but bring them in closer. It would have the same effect with respect
to back angle as raising the bars, but would not sacrifice leverage on
standing up for going over hills.

Regards,

Jay
Demarest, NJ

Steve Palincsar

Jun 7, 2011, 6:45:38 AM6/7/11
On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 19:39 -0700, Mike S wrote:
> Noodles came with my Quickbeam and I
> abhorred the whole crouched over, knees-in-the-chest speedy position.

You're describing bad fit, not the way things are supposed to be with
drop bars.

Ken Freeman

Jun 7, 2011, 7:24:15 AM6/7/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Agreed!  There's a big difference between drop bars 5 cm below the saddle and drop bars raised to even or even a few cm above the saddle.  Reach to the bars is a major factor in comfort, as well.

Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA

Steve D.

Jun 7, 2011, 11:10:40 AM6/7/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm about to turn 55, and I still use drops (NItto Dream) on my
Atlantis. I keep the bars slightly above my saddle--no back aches, but
a little numbness in my hands now and then. I'm planning on changing
out the Dream bar to a Nitto Noodle so I can get the top part of the
bar closer to me, hoping that it reduces the numbness. I mostly ride
on the ramps, and only in the drops when I'm climbing a steep hill.

As for getting back in shape, I stopped commuting to work in the fall
(in Seattle), started riding my motorcycle to work, then got back on
my bike in January, and average about 15 to 16 mph over 16 miles round-
trip. Having said that, I used to only get about 10 to 12 mph, and it
was very frustrating. I I thought it was because I had just turned 50.
But after taking the bike into the shop and having a "real" bike
mechanic (not me) tune it up, it was happy smiles to work and a new
appreciate for my '03 Atlantis. Since then, I've taken the bike back
to the shop, and had new chainrings and a new 11-34 cassette put on.
The bike rides great, and going up hills is almost leisurely (if there
is such a thing). You'll be able to go faster with time as you build
up endurance. For me, I know I'd be faster if I push myself, and would
like to get a little faster going uphill (I average about 7 - 8mph).
But I'm not pushing myself much, I'm too busy enjoying the ride and
some time to myself.

Good luck and enjoy
Steve

Steve D.

Jun 7, 2011, 11:16:10 AM6/7/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yeah, and I like the looks of drops on touring and racing bikes. Kinda
superficial reasoning I know, but that's just my opinion. I like
having the alternative hand positions as well. Glad you like your
Noodle setup. Now that I have my Atlantis' drive train dialed in
(after eight years of owning her), I working on dialing in the comfort
zone for fit.

On Jun 6, 4:00 pm, Mojo <gjtra...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> After reading all the replies here by all you old farts, I realized I
> am one too. Started riding seriously in High School in 1972 on drop
> bars, the only bar available except on those English Racers.
>
> I have a Priest (Riv pre-Albatross) bar on my towny 3 speed (yes an
> English Racer: 1966 Robin Hood) and a mtn bike bar on my mtn bike, and
> I tried a Mustache bar on my Allrounder for nearly 3 years. I have
> always come back to a drop bar, now setup as old farts should near
> saddle height. Tops, ramps, hoods, drops, that kind of variation
> speaks to old fart comfort in my view. Continuing in my retrogrouch
> POV, the Noodle is the best drop bar ever and they are bolted on the
> rest of my bikes. There is a reasonable chance I will have one in my
> death grip on that profound day.
>
> On Jun 6, 2:50 pm, Jim Cloud <Cloud...@aol.com> wrote:> I've ridden done most of my riding with drop bars (for about 40 years
> > now...), most recently with Nitto Mod. 185 bars on my Riv (these are
> > now sold by Rivendell in a lightened version called "Mark's Bar") and
> > the original equipment Cinelli Giro D'Italia bars on my Paramount.  I
> > don't, however, ride on the drops.  The bars are set, in the proper
> > Rivendell manner, at a height relatively level with the saddle.  Drop
> > bars provide a number of comfortable hand positions, without using the
> > drops,  and I don't feel any particular reason to use the drops.
>
> > I've also used Mustache bars, but after some time, I decided that they
> > really aren't very comfortable.  The most easily used hand position on
> > Mustache bars, riding on the hoods,  puts the body in a "aero"
> > position that I don't like.
>
> > Jim Cloud
> > Tucson, AZ
>
> > On Jun 6, 8:55 am, canali <jwcoll...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > just wondering if it's just me and i need to take my time adding the
> > > mileage and being consistent  and patient (and getting back into
> > > shape)
>
> > > OR do alot of us as we get older no longer find being so bent down as
> > > comfortable...thinking of swapping out drops on atlantis for jeff
> > > jones h loop bars or the north road bars.- Hide quoted text -

Mike S

Jun 7, 2011, 12:23:17 PM6/7/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Actually a major strike against drops for me is that there isn't
enough reach in the flat position. I prefer the extension moustache
bars allow in the hood position. I also needed the dirtdrop stem to
get my bars high enough (b/c I maybe should've gotten a 66 instead of
64 frame), and I find the moustache/DD combo to be an ideal
complementary pair.

Being a tall guy with very long arms complicates fit for me, and
underscores the complexity of this discussion. It's not that drops
suck, they just suck for me, and I'm much more able to find a
comfortable, upright position with an option of tucked aero with the
moustaches.

Bob

Jun 13, 2011, 1:42:01 AM6/13/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
A key to this being comfortable is being of optimal body weight.

Bruce Herbitter

Jun 13, 2011, 6:48:26 AM6/13/11
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I'm closer to 60 than 50, and still like drops, but using a high rise stem to get the flat part of the bars up over the saddle height. Not as aero in the drops as I used to be, but enough to handle a headwind.

SISDDWG

Jun 13, 2011, 7:34:03 PM6/13/11
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm 71 years old and not as upright in posture as I once was.
Actually, I ride the drops more now than I did five or ten years ago.
Seems like the forward lean is with me now even off the bike! The
drops take some pressure off my lower back.