WTB: 54-56 Sam Hillborne (i think? my first riv!) but open to other Rivs

Jacob Yosowitz

Jul 1, 2024, 8:58:34 PM (yesterday) Jul 1
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have admired Rivendell bikes since I first saw a homer parked outside of my local food co op a few years back, set up with nitto albastache bars and I thought what is THAT?! I was enthralled by the lugs, the thin steel road like frame rocking fat tires, and the bars. love at first sight!

My current collection includes a lovely purple waterford road bike i inherited from my grandpa, he had great taste. I love zipping around on that no frills frame. And a '85 schwinn high sierra set up as a commuter. I purchased it for touring but find it a bit unstable and wonky geometry for long rides.

I'm ready to bite the bullet and purchase a rivendell. I think id be happy on a Sam, I want something with a bit of zip, but still able to load up for tours and exploration. I'm only 150lbs so i feel like i could get away with a Sam for touring as opposed to one of the heavier more dedicated touring models. Would love any input.

My pbh is 86 and I live in Maine right now, but willing to drive some distance for the right bike. I'll be in chicago in mid july as well visiting family, so can set something up there too.
Side note: I absolutely love the orange colorway on sam frames, thats my dream bike! if you have one and are willing to part with it, you'd make me a happy camper.

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Valerie Yates

Jul 1, 2024, 11:12:37 PM (yesterday) Jul 1
to RBW Owners Bunch
Sam is a great choice. Orange Sam especially. Please heed the warnings about anyone who contacts you off list with a bike they are purporting to sell.

Best,
Val in Boulder

Roberta

7:16 PM (5 hours ago) 7:16 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
It's very exciting especially when the anticipation is high and the resulting bike is even better.

Analog Cycles in VT may have some built up.  I think Maine Bike Works is also a dealer.  I do believe that there is a Homer riding guy at Keystone bikes in Philadelphia, but they aren't a Riv dealer, yet.  Isn't there some fabulous dealer in Chicago--Mack's?  https://www.rivbike.com/pages/dealers?_pos=1&_sid=1f17f0872&_ss=r

I was lucky enough to be able to try a number of models in my size when Analog was located in MD.  I've had enough to know my Riv sizing.  Lastly, perhaps a trip to HQ?  You won't even need to rent a car to visit them.

I think a Sam would be an excellent choice for you based on your needs and wants.

Roberta

Bikie#4646

9:41 PM (2 hours ago) 9:41 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jacob,

I my size and weight correspond to yours. For ten years, I have owned both a Homer and a Sam.
The Sam is set up for light touring (under 7 days, but mostly 2-3 day tours). It also acts as a grocery-getter when I feel inclined.
The Homer is currently outfitted for county road riding, including "unpavement".
Both bikes sport VO fenders with 38mm tires + - so you can easily go wider if you wish to go without fenders. Both bikes are "pre-long chain stay" design, but nonetheless are probably close enough to what you will buy new, if that is your choice.
I can tell you that the Sam will suit your needs just fine. While the Homer has a slightly more lively feel, it could possibly do light and credit card touring, but would limit you for longer tours loaded with gear. You obviously - like me - enjoy the esthetics of a bike, so either of these would offer that treat too. I hope you report back here often with the same enthusiasm you've shared above.
Paul Germain
Midlothian, Va.