Re: Fixing scratch in Rambouillet

9 views
Skip to first unread message

CycloFiend

unread,
Apr 7, 2007, 5:33:14 PM4/7/07
to rbw group
Some folks over on the {BL} list were talking about repairing paint
scratches and such, and it turned sort of RBW-specific. So, I thought I'd
post the question which Steve asked here:

on 4/7/07 1:16 PM, Steve at srin...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Has anybody replicated the Rambouillet green paint in Testors or other
> brands? I too like to repair scratches with RustFix (invariably
> black) and then a color overcoat.
>
> Steve, Ames IA

Since _if_ I'm able to order a Legolas this year, I thought about trying to
get it in the new Rambouillet green, so it'd be a good thing to know.

RBW Color Ideas and Insights So Far:
http://www.cyclofiend.com/rbw/color.html

-- Jim

--

Cyclo...@earthlink.net

Current Classics Bicycle Photo Gallery - http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc
Cross Bike Photo Gallery - http://www.cyclofiend.com/cx
Single Speed Garage Photo Gallery - http://www.cyclofiend.com/ssg
Working Bikes & Practical Hardware - http://www.cyclofiend.com/working
Work Shops of the iBob's - http://www.cyclofiend.com/shop

Send In Your Photos! - Here's how: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"That which is overdesigned, too highly specific, anticipates outcome; the
anticipation of outcome guarantees, if not failure, the absence of grace."

William Gibson - "All Tomorrow's Parties"


ccanter

unread,
Apr 8, 2007, 8:00:02 AM4/8/07
to RBW Owners Bunch

I have some Testor's green metallic #1530 that I bought for touch up
for my green Rambouillet that is a so-so match. Metallic paint jobs
are a a lot more difficult to touch up with a brush/ toothpick than
are solid colors. They seem to stand out more and sometimes to look
like a different shade when applied with a brush even if they are the
exact same paint. I have not sprayed any of this color so I can't say
for certain how close it would match the Rambouillet color.I do have a
model car I built some time back which I shot with Testor's British
racing green metallic #2716 which is quite a bit darker (would be a
nice color for Riv bike though). If it were me I would get some of
this:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFLH4&P=WR
and spray it on something non pourous to get a good idea of it's true
color. I would be surprised if this wasn't a very close match.
Hope this helps and please share your findings with the group
Clyde
PS...my first post to this cool new list...Nice job Jim!!


On Apr 7, 5:33 pm, CycloFiend <cyclofi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Some folks over on the {BL} list were talking about repairing paint
> scratches and such, and it turned sort of RBW-specific. So, I thought I'd
> post the question which Steve asked here:
>

> on 4/7/07 1:16 PM, Steve at sring...@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > Has anybody replicated the Rambouillet green paint in Testors or other
> > brands? I too like to repair scratches with RustFix (invariably
> > black) and then a color overcoat.
>
> > Steve, Ames IA
>
> Since _if_ I'm able to order a Legolas this year, I thought about trying to
> get it in the new Rambouillet green, so it'd be a good thing to know.
>
> RBW Color Ideas and Insights So Far:http://www.cyclofiend.com/rbw/color.html
>
> -- Jim
>
> --
>

> Cyclofi...@earthlink.net
>
> Current Classics Bicycle Photo Gallery -http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc
> Cross Bike Photo Gallery -http://www.cyclofiend.com/cx
> Single Speed Garage Photo Gallery -http://www.cyclofiend.com/ssg
> Working Bikes & Practical Hardware -http://www.cyclofiend.com/working
> Work Shops of the iBob's -http://www.cyclofiend.com/shop

ccanter

unread,
Apr 8, 2007, 5:00:42 PM4/8/07
to RBW Owners Bunch
It seems the Testors Emerald Green metallic is a GM color from the
late 1990's. I got an idea to cruise into some used car lots on my
ride this afternoon and found a couple of Camaro's painted in what is
likely the green Testors is selling. I also found a truck which might
have been painted the same color. Anyways in the sunlight both cars
and the truck are a darker shade of green than my Ramboo which has
more yellow than the vehicles which seem to have more blue and less
yellow. Anyways good luck on finding a match for the green, it is a
very nice green indeed.
Clyde
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages