revisted topic: plestcher double leg kickstands (not) fitting on rivs

Michael Baquerizo

Jun 10, 2024, 5:44:25 PM (8 days ago) Jun 10
to RBW Owners Bunch
I tried this sometime a year or two ago.

I am very close to finishing up a clem L that will be a dedicated kid carrier (think mamafiet) with spoke protector, yepp budget seat, etc.

i had a spare plestcher kickstand hanging around and wanted to get it on the bike. i KNOW blue lug does this, and it really doesn't matter the size tire. mine are not even close to maxed out on the bike and im still getting the dreaded rub (got the same on my country appaloosa)

does anyone have any experience wit this? has anyone asked blue lug how they do it? I am not a huge fan of single leggers and i don't really wan to spend money on a different kickstand ( but i will)

i'd love to get the one i have working. but am curious as to a sure fire way to do so. before anyone suggests, i've aready reached out to riv. they don't have any real solutions. but i know one exists. im determined.

thanks

michael

Frakern

Jun 11, 2024, 10:26:25 AM (7 days ago) Jun 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Blue Lug put a double stand on our Clem Smith Jr when we bought it through them. After a while it would rub on the tires when we had fatter tires on it. As I recall when I took it back to Blue Lug and they adjusted it by rotating it slightly and tightening down the bolts. But they said it would eventually shift back and start rubbing again so this would need to be done every once in a while. In the end I filed down the legs a bit with a metal file where it was rubbing to try to give it more clearance.

Be aware though that if you're having a child carrier on the back rack the bike won't be stable even with the plestcher double. At least for us, the balance of the bike was such that with a child on the back seat the bike would lean on the back wheel with the front wheel in the air and be unstable. Without a child on the back seat the bike rests with the front wheel down and the back wheel up. We ended up getting a different stand that I can't recall the name of at the moment that was much larger and folded out more in a v shape towards the front of the bike that made it more stable. But as our son got older and heavier, the stand mount on the bike started to bend and wear out. So be careful.

PXL_20231130_045249926.jpg

Michael Baquerizo

Jun 11, 2024, 9:51:25 PM (6 days ago) Jun 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you for that info! Direct from the source at that. Kind of annoying Blue Lug is putting incompatible products on their builds, and so many of them, as it led me to believe there was a real solution.

Kickstand won't be for mounting and dismounting the kid, he's actually 5 so im hoping with a quick boost he'll get on on his own. I'm using the Yepp Budget which is a version of the next seat after the Yepp Maxi like you have on there. I just like a kickstand and prefer a double. If necessary i'll get a big boy and donate this one to another bike.

ian m

Jun 12, 2024, 9:32:53 AM (6 days ago) Jun 12
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Blue Lug putting incompatible products on their builds" is a weird comment, especially given these bikes are made with kickstand plates and should then theoretically be designed around them working. I'm surprised there are issues with Clems and double kickstands, I used one on my 1st gen Clem H for years with 48mm tires, the extra long chainstays pushed the tire back beyond the curve of the kickstand and there was like acres of empty space around it. I guess the geometry changed some since then.That double Pletscher is now on my wife's Hillborne, and while it does sometimes hit the tire when folding up otherwise has no rub and it's her daily commuter.

Thomas Wilson

Jun 13, 2024, 1:33:28 AM (5 days ago) Jun 13
to RBW Owners Bunch
IMG_6959.jpg
I have both a Clem Jr L and a Joe Appaloosa and have Plestcher double kickstands on both. I agree you have to make the fine adjustment to get it to clear on both bikes and on the Clem I have to grab the far leg on the stand with my toe and pull it towards me when I fold it up, but it still clears a Ultradynamico Mars 2.2 's on that bike.

IMG_6859.jpg

Good luck,

Tom

Edwin W

Jun 13, 2024, 9:47:27 AM (5 days ago) Jun 13
to RBW Owners Bunch
Like Tom, I give the outer leg a little nudge when I fold the twin legged on my Joe Appa with 50mm tires so that it does not rub.

I have always been a fan of kickstands in general, as well as fenders, racks and lights on all bikes, but honestly I have been using my kickstand a lot less lately! It is rare that there is nothing to lean it against AND I want to stop AND I want my bike upright.

Edwin