ISO: Capable commuter bike for 90pbh person in SF Bay Area

Jared Wilson

Sep 20, 2021, 3:04:07 AM9/20/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey gang

After such quick results regarding my Hunqapillar trade last week I've decided to try my hand at another ISO posting, this time for my older brother.

He's recently moved much closer to his place of work and contacted me about getting a bike to commute on.

I'm so happy to hear this and want to help him get on the right bike.

He currently has an aluminum Klein road bike that he's never really enjoyed so I want to help him get set up and enjoying his time in the saddle.

He's roughly 6'1", PBH of 89-90, weight of 180lbs, all by my approximation.

I figure something lugged steel with cantilever brakes and clearance for minimum 30mm tires should put us on the right track, but open to whatever's recommended.

Ideally I'm thinking Bridgestone X0-something or another would be good, newer bikes like Surly Cross Check or Handsome XOXO also encouraged.

Price range is sub $1,000, he's not in need of all the bells and whistles, just something reliable and fun to ride.

He's located in Sunnyvale and can check out bikes around SF Bay Area, prefer to hold off on shipping for the time being because I really want him to jive with his new bike so the risk of buying something site unseen makes me a bit nervous.

Looking forward to hearing what's available, please respond off list.

Thanks :)

Jared