Evolution of Riv SS Designs?

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Jan 15, 2020, 11:34:49 AM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Specifically, and in short, is there any appreciable difference in rear tire clearances between Gen1(green), Gen 2(orange), Gen3(silver) Quickbeams?

I'm assuming differences are negligible but just curious...

I have general familiarity with other design changes and have read through the cyclofiend archives, readers, etc. I know Gen1 lacked mid-fork rack mounts, which Gen2 added, which Gen3 then evolved into barrel bosses plus the updated swirly fork crown plus kickstand plate and modified decals.

But did the rear or the silver Gen3 also change to gain any notable clearance difference to match the wider fork crown? Or did any such changes in the rear later arise with the SimpleOne which utilizes the same Hilsen/Hillborne crown?  Anyone actually own/ride multiple versions of these to directly compare?

Long version:
Reid's recent Silver QB post in the 'Daily Riv picture thread' re-ignited this question I've previously pondered but never bothered to ask or investigate.  With Grant's recent mention of another forthcoming single speed in that Reddit AMA thing I'm hopeful that a few may be sized to accommodate us taller folk (97+ PBH) though I'm trying not to get too excited knowing the risks involved with the outlier sizes.  I currently own 3 different frames which otherwise fulfill my immediate single speed needs and these have been individually rotated through various builds the past several years.  I've kind of found what I believe to be a suitable personal all-around build that would easily transfer over to a 68cm QB in the event the hinted at forthcoming SS model excludes those of us on tall side.  With that in mind, although I'm going to wait and see what the future holds regarding that potential new model, I'm trying to determine how I may want to prioritize, if warranted, a search for a second hand QB in the event a new Rivendell SS is a no-go.

My own closest functional equivalent to a 68 QB is an early 80's Schwinn in a 27"/69.5cm seattube which I've just maxed out tire clearance with Conti Speed Rides (700x42) with an actual 38-39mm width on Velocity Chukker rims.  Fork is tightest at the caliper/crown with chainstays closely matching in total clearance.  I'd expect all QB models would accommodate these tires/wheels without issue but I know the later/swirly QB/SimpleOne/Hilsen/Hillborne fork crowns offer a little more generous clearance.  I briefly owned one of the surplus SimpleOne forks for a related but abandoned project.  The intended frame ended up failing but would have become a 'budget-substitute 62cm SimpleOne' and the fork was ultimately too short or too tall for any alternate projects I had available so I later sold it.

My personal preferences lean toward the Silver Gen3 QB's (fork crown/barrel bosses/kickstand plate) but in case the newer SS doesn't come to fruition nor fit my anatomy and I later conduct a WTB search for a second hand frame I'm just trying to gauge whether or not there is anything really notable to gain/lose between the earlier QB Gen's vs. Gen3?

It's possible this is all for naught and I may very well find myself saving for a new model.  Although my Schwinn also remains serviceable as-is, considering it's age and unknown history, I don't necessarily have high hopes for it's longevity so I'm more or less just trying to prepare for a longer term SS investment to complement my Clem and more definitively adapt into a slimmed down 2-3 bike stable to better reflect my actual space/needs.  I'm currently rotating one bike at a time with an updated SS build almost ready for dedicated 2020 winter duty.

Best,
Brian Cole
Lawrenceville NJ

Deacon Patrick

Jan 15, 2020, 11:51:53 AM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
To tire clearance, all the QB owners, from green to orange, to silver (I'm silver), report 38mm Rene Herse Barlows working brilliantly, and some try and stuff a bit more in there but doing so looses some chain play toward the front. I've run 44mm whatever they are called 700c Rene Herse tires and it is snug and no room for more.

WIth abandon,
Patrick

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Jan 15, 2020, 1:55:57 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you, Deacon Patrick!

Reid Echols

Jan 15, 2020, 2:20:20 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks for the shout-out Brian!

I can confirm that I'm running 43c Gravelking SKs in my Silver QB, and echo Patrick's statement that that's all I'd expect to fit. It does limit the forward/backward range on the dropout to what I would estimate is a 6-tooth differential (based on almost no solid information). Gorgeous bikes, eminently practical.

Reid in Austin

Benjamin L. Kelley

Jan 15, 2020, 2:43:47 PM1/15/20
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
That's good to hear, I'm running 35c GravelKing SK+ on my Orange QB and was planning on going to 38's at some point.

Jim M.

Jan 15, 2020, 2:44:08 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had Big Apple 50s on my orange QB. Here's a pic.

Close fit, and not much room for adjusting forward/backward, but quite comfy.

jim m
wc, ca

Philip Williamson

Jan 15, 2020, 10:52:03 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Whoa. Holy clearances, Batman!
I had Bruce Gordon Rock n Roads on my first run green Quickbeam. I think 38s and fenders are where it’s at, though. For that bike.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

Coal Bee Rye Anne

Jan 15, 2020, 11:10:55 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Great news, thanks all! 38s with fenders would be a vast improvement over my 38s no-fender max Schwinn placeholder. I could certainly use a fendered bike since parting with a much too small, old Raleigh three speed.

I also just saw Will’s newsletter update from this evening where he further confirmed a single speeder is in the works... woohoo! I remain cautiously optimistic on sizing/specs but looking forward to it’s release.

Jim M.

Jan 15, 2020, 11:50:37 PM1/15/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 7:52:03 PM UTC-8, Philip Williamson wrote:
Whoa. Holy clearances, Batman!
I had Bruce Gordon Rock n Roads on my first run green Quickbeam. I think 38s and fenders are where it’s at, though. For that bike.

Yes, I agree. The Big Apples were cushy but made the QB feel a lot less sprightly.

Carla Waugh

Jan 22, 2020, 11:07:45 AM1/22/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm looking forward to this potential new frame!

donavanm

Feb 11, 2020, 9:57:44 AM2/11/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
A late update with two datapoints. I have a simpleone and silver quickbeam. Havent noticed a difference in clearance. QB has WTB 40mm nanoraptors on i19 crisscross rims, SO ive done 38 gravelkings and 36mm MSO x’plors under fenders. Both setups have comfortable amount of clearance, but fenders over the nanoraptors were *real* tight.

JohnS

Feb 13, 2020, 10:28:06 PM2/13/20
to RBW Owners Bunch
Jim,

Thanks for sharing your QB pics on flickr, not sure which I like better, the various configurations of your QB or your Lego interpretation of a QB!

JohnS (fellow orange QB owner)