"you pick the fun stuff, we pick the rest"

Steve Theberge

Jul 12, 2024, 8:05:03 PM (4 days ago) Jul 12
to RBW Owners Bunch

Hi everyone,

I just purchased a Sam frame from Riv and am contemplating build options. I have plenty of ideas, and also appreciate the simplicity of the "you pick the fun stuff, we pick the rest" option on the site. Anyone have an experience with this option?

Chuck Blessing

Jul 13, 2024, 10:47:55 AM (3 days ago) Jul 13
to RBW Owners Bunch
I picked that for my new Sam. It's due to be delivered next week. I chose the friction option and Choco bars, and gave them details of the type of riding that I do. I have faith that they will put together a nice set of components to match that.

Chuck

Charlie R

Jul 14, 2024, 10:49:47 AM (2 days ago) Jul 14
to RBW Owners Bunch
One of the mistakes I made when a chose a similar build option when building a Mermaid Platypus, was that I didn't specify silver components and ended up with a mix of silver and mostly black components which to my eye is not as pleasing as silver would have been.  I was able to specify Cliff Hanger rims and the widest tire that would fit, a Nitto stem and handlebars and was very happy with those.  But when I opened up the box that I had spent almost $4000 after taxes and shipping and saw the black components I was not as happy as I could have been.  Again my fault for not thinking it through, but if I can save somebody else from making the same mistake if that is important to them.............

Charlie

Jkarlin

Jul 15, 2024, 7:27:22 PM (18 hours ago) Jul 15
to RBW Owners Bunch
I chose this option for my Clem, and I’m very happy I did. Like Charlie, I ended up with a mix of black and silver components. That’s a fair warning, but the mix looks cool to me, and, for someone who is both a middling mechanic and also can’t easily make the trek to Walnut Creek, I appreciated the chance to get something that had been put together by Riv mechanics. The bike was super easy to reassemble and still rides like a dream 6 months of daily riding later.