How close is the AHH to the Bleriot

J S

Nov 22, 2021, 6:37:51 PM11/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Other than sloping TT and a bit longer wheelbase I wonder how different these will ride.  I have a same with fat tires and I know these are supposed to be close but I wonder.

Thanks

Joel.

Johnny Alien

Nov 22, 2021, 9:21:36 PM11/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
The Bleriot was essentially a more affordable version of the Saluki which was the 650B country bike at the time. It was more affordable based on factory and business deals alone. It was a great bike. From what I understand the AHH was the same as the Saluki but available in both 650B and 700C.  The AHH is the reason that the Saluki was removed as a standard line model.  All of that is based on the older Japanese AHH. The new one has a longer wheelbase, sloping top tube and various other changes that all make the geometry fairly different. So as far as "purpose" the AHH and Bleriot are the same but as far as the geometry and how they ride I bet they are going to feel pretty different. I had a Bleriot, currently have a Saluki and owned a Hillborne. The current AHH is probably way closer to the Hillborne than the Bleriot and I can say for sure that the Hillborne was a very different feeling ride compared to the Bleriot/Saluki.

J S

Nov 22, 2021, 10:48:09 PM11/22/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Johnny, thanks, I have a Bleriot that is a tad large for me and a Hillborne that fits well.  With 48mm vs. 42mm tires I can say the Hillborne is a more comfortable bike.  I am not a fan of the very long wheelbase Rivs, the AHH seems to not be ultra long.  I ride with Choco bars on both bikes and a high stem, but I do stretch out a bit, so not upright.

I originally had a Saluki but the 56 was way to big for me even though my 56 custom was not (both gone now), why I got the 55 Bleriot.  The 51 AHH would be a better fit if I did decide to buy one.

I agree that the Hillborne and Bleriot feel very different.

Thank you
Joel

Johnny Alien

Nov 23, 2021, 8:10:28 AM11/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I had a 53 Bleriot that always felt just a tiny bit too small but I never tried a 55. My Saluki is a 54cm and its a perfect fit. I had a 52 Hillborne back when that was a thing and with the expanded geometry it felt a bit on the large size. The new Rivendell sizing always seems to have me at the very top or very bottom. My newest is a 50cm Gallop prototype and that feels very close to my 54 Saluki. Its a good fit. I would imagine a 51 AHH would feel a tad smaller than the 55 Bleriot so likely right what you would want. But the long wheelbase bikes feel different.  The Bleriot/Saluki is tied for my favorite Rivendell with the Rambouillet.

J S

Nov 23, 2021, 4:21:59 PM11/23/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Johnny, I had an Atlantis which has a very long wheelbase and sold it quickly.  Why I am hesitant about the AHH.