Where can I read try out a ton of different Rivendell models?

Anthony Davila

Jun 29, 2024, 12:36:53 PM (3 days ago) Jun 29
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi, I'm interested in getting a Rivendell in a year or so, but I wanted to try some out in the meantime. Does anyone know of any places that have readily available rivs (preferably Roadinis)? Where did you guys try them out before purchasing?

I'm from Florida and the riv dealer near me doesn't have any complete bikes. If anyone is in the Tampa or Miami area and is generous enough to let me have a test-ride, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

Bill Lindsay

Jun 29, 2024, 3:25:21 PM (3 days ago) Jun 29
to RBW Owners Bunch
Finding a local Rivendell owner is a good idea, and you should definitely try to pursue that.  In 2024 it can be tricky to execute a Rivendell Acquisition Plan a year in advance.  If it's a year down the road because you are saving up the money then my advice is to plan on being patient twice.  Be patient now while you are saving up the money and trying to arrange your informal test ride stuff.  The second round of being patient will hinge on what is actually available for you to buy in the summer of 2025.  If you have your heart set on one particular thing, and that thing isn't available, then you'll have to react to that situation.

Big picture, if it's possible, I think it's a good idea in 2024 to be ready to react when the perfect bike presents itself to you. If a bike you want to own is available, buy it, because it may not be available to you later.  That's easier said than done, particularly if your tastes are fluid.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Mathias Steiner

Jun 30, 2024, 8:32:27 AM (3 days ago) Jun 30
to RBW Owners Bunch
Regarding the test rides: you should state your desired frame size and/or your PBH.

Anthony Davila

Jun 30, 2024, 5:04:34 PM (2 days ago) Jun 30
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you for the advice Bill!

I’m mostly just waiting to graduate university before getting the bike, but I definitely see your point in purchasing if I get the opportunity. I was thinking of making an LF/WTB/ISO post on here and some other forums with Rivendell owners around the time that I plan on buying, what do you think about the likelihood of a good amount of responses? I’m definitely leaning towards buying used if I can help it.

Anthony Davila

Jun 30, 2024, 5:04:48 PM (2 days ago) Jun 30
to RBW Owners Bunch
I should’ve stated in the original post, my bad. I’m thinking that a 54 cm Roadini would be a good fit since I’m 5’11 and have a PBH of 86 cm. Please let me know if I’m wrong though!

Glenn Mackin

Jun 30, 2024, 5:05:04 PM (2 days ago) Jun 30
to RBW Owners Bunch
What Bill Lindsay said. It would have been nice to find a local Rivendell owner, but I couldn't, and I'm not plugged into the local bike community enough to find one. In any case, I just got my first Rivendell, a Platypus, and it wasn't the one I had originally thought I wanted (an Appaloosa). Partly, this is because the Platy was available when I was ready to buy, and I liked it better than, say, the Hillborne (which was also available). It was also that I decided that the Appaloosa was more touring oriented than I needed, and so I decided not to wait. I'm quite happy with the decision. The bike is beautiful, is a joy to ride, and it does everything I've asked of it.

Cyclofiend Jim

Jun 30, 2024, 5:15:05 PM (2 days ago) Jun 30
to RBW Owners Bunch
What kind of bikes have you been riding previously?
The reason I ask is that at 86CM PBH, you are probably "between" the 54 and 57.
If you walked into most shops, they would probably to put you on the smaller bike for all the reasons we fear most shops.
If you showed up in Walnut Creek and anyone at the RBWHQ&L got chatting with you, they'd likely encourage you to try the larger size.

Also, if you are going for upright bars, that might change the equation a bit.
If you are 5'11" with a true 86CM PBH, then you probably are a little longer in the upper body

You might call them in Walnut Creek and be honest about your budget restrictions and the fact you might not be buying it right away. They fit folks well.

Anthony Davila

Jul 1, 2024, 11:42:35 AM (yesterday) Jul 1
to RBW Owners Bunch
I've been riding a large Raleigh Cadent 1 which is a hybrid I bought in 2021. I attached a sizing chart!
Sizing

Honestly, I started looking at flights to San Francisco and am leaning towards taking a week vacation before the school year starts back up to go try out some Rivendells. Do they usually have most models for test-riding there? Excited to go out there and see what it's like! Also thanks for the advice and stories Glenn and Jim.

Bill Lindsay

Jul 1, 2024, 12:40:44 PM (yesterday) Jul 1
to RBW Owners Bunch
Do they usually have most models for test-riding there?

Riv Headquarters is several bays in an industrial park, big roll-up garage space.  One of the bays is the "showroom".  There are usually about 20-25 built up demo bikes there.  Those demo bikes usually represent what is available right now and sometimes what is going to be available very soon.  Since the Leo Roadini is sold out in 54 and 57, I suspect they will not have a 54cm or a 57cm demo Leo Roadini there for you to test ride.  Call them, and discuss what you are thinking about and they'll help you formulate a strategy.  Maybe they have a 57 Hillborne and can talk to you about the subtle differences between a Hillborne and a Roadini.  At least one of the employees runs a Roadini, and they are usually generous with letting customers ride their bikes.

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Edwin W

Jul 1, 2024, 2:52:21 PM (yesterday) Jul 1
to RBW Owners Bunch
Your strategy is good (since it was very similar to mine in 2010): read a good bit about it, think about which bike you might get, go to Riv HQ (many reasons to be in Northern California at some point, right?) and try some out. You will enjoy the Rivendell ride quality (or your money back, haha) and you will buy one used or new.
I had never spent that much on a bike before, despite owning many bikes. I got my first Hillborne used, frame only, and they gentleman who sold it to me gave me good advice: "the price isn't so bad if you always have one to sell!"

Edwin

Christian Santa

3:45 PM (8 hours ago) 3:45 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hi Anthony,
Where do you live? I'm also looking into purchasing a Rivendell in the near future. I live in West Palm Beach FL, I ride a 1978 Raleigh Professional road bike all around the city and beach (Ocean Drive).

If any members live near the area let me know I can also meet between the Miami and Tampa area.

-Christian

maxcr

4:33 PM (7 hours ago) 4:33 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
This map might help you find others in the list near you: https://sites.google.com/view/mapofrivendellriders/home
Good luck!
Max

Anthony Davila

4:46 PM (7 hours ago) 4:46 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Christian, I live near Miami Gardens/Miramar area, but currently I'm in Tampa for an internship this summer. What kind of Rivendell are you looking for and what size?

Also, I booked the flight and hotel in San Francisco as well as an appointment at Riv HQ to go and try some bikes out lol. It just worked out since I would have a big gap of free time in August!

Anthony Davila

4:46 PM (7 hours ago) 4:46 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
Also thanks Edwin for the story! Hope I enjoy the ride quality and am able to buy used or get a good price to buy new anywhere within the year for sure. I've also never spent that much on a bike, but I definitely want something that'll last, look good, and feel right. This whole looking for a new bike thing started because my family member wants my current bike lol!

Jon Dukeman

10:05 PM (2 hours ago) 10:05 PM
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Call Vince or James at Rivillle and ask if there are any old catalogs laying around.
It has all the frame dimentions . Won't have latest models but it has Sam , Cheviot, Appaloosa ,Homer,Clem,Atlantis.Rodini
Jon

On Sat, Jun 29, 2024, 10:36 AM Anthony Davila <anthony...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, I'm interested in getting a Rivendell in a year or so, but I wanted to try some out in the meantime. Does anyone know of any places that have readily available rivs (preferably Roadinis)? Where did you guys try them out before purchasing?

I'm from Florida and the riv dealer near me doesn't have any complete bikes. If anyone is in the Tampa or Miami area and is generous enough to let me have a test-ride, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

20240702_200000.jpg
20240702_200100.jpg