NBD - Periwinkle Sam

Ted Durant

Jul 26, 2024, 11:59:47 AM (yesterday) Jul 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
Greetings from sunny SE Wisconsin, and welcome to Wisconsin Sam. He was going to be Midwest Sam, to go with West Coast Sam and East Coast Sam, but East Coast Sam is moving to Minnesota next year. Maybe we'll have to go with Great Lakes Sam and Great Plains Sam.

Anyway, here are the specs:
Rivendell Sam Hillborne 2024 51cm Periwinkle (70cm saddle height)
Rich-built wheels, Velocity Quill 32h, Son Delux front hub, Silver rear hub, Delta skewers
Nitto Noodle 177 420mm handlebars
Nitto UI-2 stem 90mm
Soma Ensho saddle
Shimano CX-50 brakes with 105 cartridge shoes and Kool Stop salmon pads
White Industries square taper crank 165mm 44-32
Phil Wood bottom bracket 123mm (a bit wider than necessary, it turns out, but 113 isn't enough)
SRAM Force 22 brifters and derailers
YBN 11 speed chain
SRAM 11-32 cassette
Rene Herse Switchback Hill EL 584-48 tires (haven't measured actual yet)
Vittoria latex tubes
Swift Paloma handlebar bag on Nitto F-15 supporter
King cages
Supernova E3 Pro 2 headlight, taillight
Yokozuna compressionless brake cable housing
Silca pump is Waterford Blue Flame - from my ST22 - not sure what I'm going to do for this one

P7260027.jpeg
P7260028.jpeg
P7260030.jpeg
P7260031.jpeg

Ted Durant
Milwaukee WI USA

Ted Durant

Jul 26, 2024, 12:06:39 PM (yesterday) Jul 26
to RBW List

> On Jul 26, 2024, at 10:59 AM, Ted Durant <tedd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Greetings from sunny SE Wisconsin, and welcome to Wisconsin Sam. He was going to be Midwest Sam, to go with West Coast Sam and East Coast Sam, but East Coast Sam is moving to Minnesota next year. Maybe we'll have to go with Great Lakes Sam and Great Plains Sam.

Sorry … for the photo nerds -
Lens: Olympus 45mm/f1.8
Camera: Olympus OM-D EM1

td

Kim H.

Jul 26, 2024, 12:19:29 PM (yesterday) Jul 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
@Ted,
Beautiful periwinkle blue bike ! I love it.

Kim Hetzel
with a RBW blue Clem.

John Dewey

Jul 26, 2024, 1:14:02 PM (yesterday) Jul 26
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Just beautiful, TD.

For the life of me, don't know why RBW came to removing DT fittings for either levers or stops in exchange for just the cable stops. That's a deal breaker for me.

Jock

Keith Paugh

Jul 26, 2024, 1:22:30 PM (yesterday) Jul 26
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
“Iridescent”
Looks great Ted 👌

(Thanks for the photo metadata too)
k.

> On Jul 26, 2024, at 9:06 AM, Ted Durant <tedd...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ray Varella

Jul 26, 2024, 2:29:09 PM (yesterday) Jul 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
Nice bike Ted.
It sure speaks volumes to see three of the same bikes in separate locations.
When the search is over you can just focus on riding.
There’s a valuable lesson in there for us fiddlers.

Ray

maxcr

Jul 26, 2024, 4:25:06 PM (22 hours ago) Jul 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful bike Ted and a great photo that catches some of that perwinkle sparkle!

Quick question, are you using cable interrupters? If so, which and why?

Thanks
Max

George Schick

Jul 26, 2024, 4:35:31 PM (22 hours ago) Jul 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
If a person had only one choice of a bike to own for the rest of his/her riding days this one would be it.  Perfect.

John Rinker

Jul 26, 2024, 5:07:57 PM (21 hours ago) Jul 26
to RBW Owners Bunch
Beautiful build, Ted! That periwinkle truly is a lovely color. Enjoy the ride!

Cheers, John

Ted Durant

Jul 26, 2024, 7:08:55 PM (19 hours ago) Jul 26
to RBW List

Ted Durant
Milwaukee, WI USA

On Jul 26, 2024, at 3:25 PM, maxcr <max.fai...@gmail.com> wrote:

Quick question, are you using cable interrupters? If so, which and why?

Sharp eyes, Max. They are DaVinci. I had them on my BreadWinner to facilitate removal of handlebars for packing for travel. I’ll probably keep them on this one for the same purpose, and possibly add one to the brake cable.

On Jul 26, 2024, at 3:35 PM, George Schick <bhi...@gmail.com> wrote:

If a person had only one choice of a bike to own for the rest of his/her riding days this one would be it.  Perfect.

What George said. I can “only have one bike” at each of my kids’ homes (though I have 2 in LA … if anyone wants a lightly use All City Space Horse 515mm ST C-C, 545 eff TT, contact me off list), and the Sam has really ticked the boxes for me for “only one bike”.

Don’t be fooled, Ray, I am an inveterate fiddler. Most the parts of this bike came off a BreadWinner G-Road, which I had made as a go-anywhere-travel-bike. I bought my first Sam on a bit of a lark, for keeping at my LA daughter’s house. I liked it so much I bought a second to keep at my Maine daughter’s house (and to keep sibling peace … can’t have a Rivendell at one house and not the other, it turns out). I’d been thinking “maybe I should have one in WI, too”, and the Periwinkle clinched it. I like the Sam just a little bit more, mostly because of the fork and the paint, if I’m honest. They ride pretty similarly. Unfortunately, the Sam doesn’t quite have enough clearance for these tires and fenders, which the BreadWinner fit perfectly.  So, I might have to go with 42’s and fenders for wet riding. I have GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) as badly as anyone. I had to pare down the fleet when we moved to house with a tiny basement, though, so when one comes in, another has to go out. (If anyone wants a BreadWinner G-Road frameset 550mm ST C-T 566mm eff TT contact me off list!)