Riv's seat post bolt diameter needed

Roberta

Nov 30, 2021, 10:41:06 AM11/30/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
What is the seat post bolt diameter that Rivendell uses?  I have a MIT A Homer Hilsen and a Platypus.  To my eye, it looks like 6mm.  I cannot find my calipers.

I'm getting Hexlox for saddle and seat post, but do not know which size to order for seat post-- 6mm or 8mm .   https://hexlox.com/pages/protect-integrated-seat-post-clamps

Thanks,
Roberta

Roberta

Nov 30, 2021, 10:43:00 AM11/30/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
More correctly, M6 or M8?

Ben Mihovk

Nov 30, 2021, 11:07:50 AM11/30/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
M6 (that takes a 5mm hex).

-Ben

Roberta

Nov 30, 2021, 11:13:26 AM11/30/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thanks, Ben!

Roberta

Ben Mihovk

Nov 30, 2021, 5:03:41 PM11/30/21
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
You got it!

Ben, who bought a couple 5mm bolts for his seatpost a while back because he thought the hex key size = bolt size.

David Person

Nov 30, 2021, 5:17:43 PM11/30/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
"Ben, who bought a couple 5mm bolts for his seatpost a while back because he thought the hex key size = bolt size."

But the 5mm are useful for so many other things on the bike.  Mounting racks, water bottle cages, fenders.

Joe Bernard

Nov 30, 2021, 5:19:01 PM11/30/21
to RBW Owners Bunch
I hate that. I know the logic behind it, but I'm never going to be ok with the listed tool size being different from the thing the tool turns.

Joe "it's wrong even if it's right" Bernard