Film Processing

Eric Norris

Oct 1, 2018, 11:04:18 AM10/1/18
to RBW
Following up on the recent discussion about film processing, I wonder if anyone has advice on mail-in processing labs. I’ve used TheDarkroom.com several times, and they do a very good job processing and scanning my film. Usually takes 6-7 days from putting the film in the mail to getting the scans. No additional charge for black and white.

Anybody using a different lab that you would recommend?

--Eric Norris
campyo...@me.com
@CampyOnlyguy (Twitter/Instagram)

Philip Williamson

Oct 1, 2018, 12:17:36 PM10/1/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I used to use The Darkroom when their physical location was right by my work. I generally drop my film off at Jeremiah's Photo Corner, and they send it out to a place in SF. It's fun to chat with a human about photo stuff, and Jeremiah is also a bike nerd.

I recently bought the chemicals, and started developing film again, and I'm figuring out how to scan negatives in a reasonable way.

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

jeffrey kane

Oct 1, 2018, 1:03:15 PM10/1/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I run a lab in NYC:

LTI-Lightside (www.lti-lightside.com)

We run a lot of C-41 and B+W film, daily -- we no longer handle E-6, though. I've looked through the Darkroom.com site and give them a thumbs up for going after the mail-in market. I think the Riv guys use them and I'm guessing they do a good job -- and their prices are good, too. I'm not normally in the habit of praising my competitors (but we're really not in the same market) -- and I haven't used their services so can't actually say one way or the other but my industry savvy hunch is that they're probably a safe-bet and unless you're seeing results that you don't like and can attribute it to them. Again, I'd guess that they're probably one of the better film processing options out there at this time.

That said -- being a long time reader of this list (and film shooting bike nerd)) and knowing that many of you are into photography it's always nagged at the back of my mind that I wish I could offer you all services somehow. I'd be happy to create discount codes for RGB Owners Bunch readers any time (though we don't have those fancy pre-paid mailers like the darkroom.com). Please feel free to take a look through our site and notice that all our prices are published online, we offer multiple upload to print options and have a near ten year deep project archive link detailing our customers work in both fine-art and commercial & advertising categories ...

We also have an instagram account (@lti-lightside) and count none other than UltraRomance himself as our sole "influencer" ... ha.

Feel free to reach out to me personally if you're interested in anything -- and like I said, I'd be happy to offer up some discounts for like-minded bikers

jsk

Paul Richardson

Oct 1, 2018, 5:24:57 PM10/1/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

i'm such a big fan of dwayne's photo in parsons, kansas, that i made a pilgrimage.  i've always appreciated their turnaround times and think they print a good photo to boot.

dwayne.png

Lester Lammers

Oct 1, 2018, 5:56:54 PM10/1/18
to RBW Owners Bunch

Eric Norris

Oct 1, 2018, 6:01:21 PM10/1/18
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Looks interesting! And he’s shooting with a Leica!

--Eric N

Philip Williamson

Oct 1, 2018, 6:57:30 PM10/1/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
I saw that on my workmates' recommendation.
Loved it. It's almost more about music than film, but, you know, it IS a film...

Philip
Santa Rosa, CA

Lum Gim Fong

Oct 2, 2018, 5:57:22 PM10/2/18
to RBW Owners Bunch
My Great Uncle and my Dad both had darkrooms in their basements. Ah, that sour chemical smell! Takes me back to 1974.
My Great Uncle served in WWII in Bermuda (the whole war), and iirc,  and did photography for the Army, who were decoding Japanese intercepted messages or something like that.

My Uncle and Dad were enthusiasts back in the 40's-80's. They were always outdoors laying in the grass on their sides or backs holding their cameras at odd angles trying to get the shot they wanted of the flowers, or us kids, or other relatives. I should post some of them. My Uncle took a shot of me chalking the sidewalk at two years old and it won for best pic in the Baltimore Sun. My other Uncle took lots of shots of what appeared to be dilapidated Baltimore housing. He and my dad were later into taking pics of what I thought were very odd things. Like a corner in the ceiling of a stairwell. Seemed like they liked intersecting lines and how shadows and light played upon them.

I never got into photography myself, but I still remember the metallic smell of the camera components, when they would let me shoot.