My dream "forever bike" is finally done -- thanks to this group!

Robert Calton

Jul 11, 2024, 9:43:22 AM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
A few months back, I set out to build my do-it-all dream bike and I did. I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out and it is truly a joy to ride: it's the most comfortable and buttery smooth bicycle I've ever ridden. Smiles per mile is super high. Many thanks to this lovely group for all the advice and conversation. Build below.
ahpm2fo1kpbd1.jpeg
Frame: Rivendell A. Homer Hilsen, 54.5cm.
Wheelset: Velocity Atlas rims, 32h White Industries MI5 front and rear hubs laced with DT Swiss Competition DB spokes
Tires: Panaracer Gravelking 700x43c
Brakes: Paul Racer, Kool-Stop pads
Brake Levers: Paul cantilever
Bars: Nitto Albatross
Grips: Meisha’s Portuguese tree cork
Tape: Tanglefoot “Aunt Ronnie’s Recliner”
Stem: Nitto lugged
Shifters: Shimano Dura Ace bar ends (friction F/R)
Derailers: Shimano Dura Ace EA100 (FD), Shimano Deore XT M761 (RD)
Crankset: Silver 38/24 (170mm)
Pedals: MKS Lambda Cassette: Shimano HG400, 9-speed (11-36T)
Seat post: Nitto lugged
Bottle Cage: Nitto R
Saddle: Brooks B68
Kickstand: Of course

Shoutout and good vibes to Third Wheel Bikes for the assembly.

Robert Calton

Jul 11, 2024, 9:48:09 AM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Not pictured is a Baggins bag strapped to the saddle hooks. It fits everything I need it to: phone, keys, wallet, repair kit, snack, medicine. :)

Johnny Alien

Jul 11, 2024, 9:55:35 AM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Congrats Robert! That's a beautiful bike!

John Rinker

Jul 11, 2024, 11:07:01 AM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hey Robert,

Wow, what a beauty you've built up! I love your 'smiles to miles' metric, and I'm sure you'll find that will remain consistent throughout your life with this bike. Enjoy!

Cheers, John

peec...@yahoo.com

Jul 11, 2024, 3:15:58 PM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Very nice.  With the albatross bars have you had issues with your knee striking the bar end on tight turns?

Robert Calton

Jul 11, 2024, 3:21:25 PM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Thank you peech, I've had no issues with knee-strikes on the bars. The stem I believe is 11cm and the slack seat tube angle helps. I spoke with Riv when I was deciding stem length and they recommend folks go at least 10cm if they're going to run albatross bars.

I also don't really pedal around really tight turns anyway. There's a switchback on a path that we take and it's not been a problem there.

Bill Lindsay

Jul 11, 2024, 6:03:32 PM (5 days ago) Jul 11
to RBW Owners Bunch
Hilsen Blue is such a classic.  Enjoy it.  But don't be shocked if you find yourself wanting another "forever bike" to keep this one company and complement the stable!

Bill Lindsay
El Cerrito, CA

Doug Van Cleve

Jul 12, 2024, 2:24:56 PM (4 days ago) Jul 12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com, peec...@yahoo.com
I have been riding a Joe Appa with Albatross' on maybe a 9cm Technomic with bar end shifters, and I REALLY noticed this when I first started riding the bike.  I was legitimately concerned about low speed crashes based on bar/knee interference in slow, tight turns.  I've mostly gotten used to it, but I'm swapping to a Chocomoose with thumb shifters when I get up the gumption.

Doug

timothy petersen

Jul 12, 2024, 3:16:33 PM (4 days ago) Jul 12
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
I suppose too a longer top tube helps.
Sent from my iPhone