Want to move bar end shifter to mounts

Roberta

7:04 PM (4 hours ago) 7:04 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
I have Shimano bar end shifters (friction) on my A Homer Hilsen that work fantastically, but I've never liked placement as bar ends, because of me knocking them out of gear with my knee, hand, ooops bike just leaned on a wall ...  So I asked my much loved and trusted bike shop, Keystone Bikes, for options and received this response:  "...The only drawback is that the part is pricy. The Paul Thumbie is the tool for the job, but $127. The Velo Orange Equivalent is cheaper but unavailable.  Installation would be recabling the both shifters and setting the thumb mounts up."

I'm not against paying the $$, but before I do, I wanted to get some opinions on this mount, setup, placement, suggestions,  things I don't know to ask about,  "gotchas."  I know Paul components are high quality and I'm at a point in my life that I want to do things right and do it just once.

Thanks for the input.

Roberta

David Ross

7:08 PM (4 hours ago) 7:08 PM
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
What speed are you running? The problem with the Paul mount is that you can get a new shifter for less money. I have one of the blingy Uno shifters but I also have two bikes with Microshift and it works just as well. There isn’t too much you can do to engineer a significantly better friction shifter which is one of the great things about friction shifters.

Roberta

7:25 PM (4 hours ago) 7:25 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
Dross,

Thanks for the speedie reply.

8 speed? 9?  Dunno.  I'm not looking to replace the shifters, just move them to a thumbie mount.  Do you think they meant replacing the shifters?  This is the web page they sent me:  https://www.paulcomp.com/shop/components/drivetrain/shifting/shimanothumbies/  Would moving the shifters to a thumbie mount change their fantastic and smooth as butta' shifting?

I'm sorta like Leah, bicycle bell ding ding...  I just like to get on and ride. I know to pump air in my tires and lube the chain.   I just know I don't like the placement of the current shifter.

Roberta

Gordon Stam

7:54 PM (4 hours ago) 7:54 PM
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

I mounted Rivendell Thumbies on the stem of my Clem. Maybe not universally appealing but it's an option. And not particularly cheap, but what is these days.

Gordon Stam

7:59 PM (4 hours ago) 7:59 PM
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com

Upside down pic but maybe you get the idea. Red is the cassette, black is the chainrings.

Doug H.

8:07 PM (3 hours ago) 8:07 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
Roberta,
The Rivendell Silver thumb shifter mounts seem to be Shimano compatible. Here is the link: https://www.rivbike.com/products/z558mz-cnv-oialk
Doug

Sally Bidleman

9:09 PM (2 hours ago) 9:09 PM
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Hi Roberta,

I hesitate to chime in due to my embarrassing ignorance compared to the vast majority of Riv owners; however, my great LBS just changed me over to friction shifting for the Platypus with a Paul Thumbie and a Dura-Ace shifter. So much smoother!! And more purple, too:)

Good Luck with your decision!
Sally

Dura-Ace Shifter.jpg
Thumbie and Shifter.jpg

Will Boericke

9:18 PM (2 hours ago) 9:18 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
I may (will?) get hate mail for this, but there is an AliExpress knockoff of the thumbie mount that is reasonably-priced.
(Ducking head to avoid thrown tomatoes).

Will near Boston

David Ross

9:24 PM (2 hours ago) 9:24 PM
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the Paul thing is just the pod to which your mount the shifter. It doesn’t include the actual shift mechanism. I swapped the pod on my Uno shifter and it was easy but I had to modify it a bit to make it work. I think you’re looking for a part that you can have mounted at a bike shop. I’m unaware of a pod other than the Paul component pod. They make great stuff if you can stomach the price. If not, I’d go with something like this:

Can you post a photo of your shifters?

If you have the Rivendell silver shifters, Rivendell sells a bar mount conversion

Send a pic and I’ll be able to give you a better idea.

Unless they’re Dura Ace thumb shifters, it’s probably not with spending that much to mount them to the bars versus just replacing the whole shifter.

Roberta

9:43 PM (2 hours ago) 9:43 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
What a great group. Sally, love the purple and the Platy. I have a Platy too.

Thanks for the note on the Riv mounts. I’ll ask bike shop to look at them too.

Yes, I’m just looking to move the placement not change the friction shifting.

I’ll be retiring soon and have been wanting to do this for a while.   I might as well do it now.

IMG_2621.jpeg
IMG_2622.jpeg

Michael Baquerizo

10:43 PM (1 hour ago) 10:43 PM
to RBW Owners Bunch
others mileage may vary, but i recently started using a set of microshift thumbies on a new to me bike.

i also have shimano on another bike (as you have) and silver! on another. all set up friction.

of the three, the microshift has felt the best.

at their price, it would be cheaper to just get a set of them, and retire your shimano, or switch those to another bike (if necessary) or just parts bin them.

not what you asked, but owning paul thumb mounts, i would rather just buy these. they look pretty too.