Can't find a compatible and working bdb, instructions could do with some work

Trejkaz X

Apr 5, 2013, 5:46:46 AM4/5/13
to rb...@googlegroups.com
Hiya.

After Ubuntu's packages failed to install a compatible set of packages for me, I'm trying to get things working from the git version.

The first barrier is getting a working bdb library. The docs say we should get 0.6.5 or later, but:

    piggypig@miku:~/rbot$ gem list --remote bdb

    *** REMOTE GEMS ***

    bdb (0.2.6.5)
    bdb1 (0.2.5)

Presumably this is the same trap the Ubuntu package maintainer fell into because if I install 0.2.6.5, I get the same error.

After digging for a while, I found this: https://github.com/knu/ruby-bdb/

This does have a 0.6.7. It also has incorrect instructions saying that you can install it via "gem install bdb" so I reported a bug to them about that already, as that is already incorrect.
So I pulled that and tried to build it and there are numerous problems there too.

Question 1: Is there a known working version?

Question 2: Can rbot please provide a Gemfile so that we can just run `bundle install` and have the required dependencies installed, rather than everyone having to track them down themselves? (Or alternatively a set of reliable instructions for installing the dependencies in cases like this where they are not just standard gems!)

TX

Ken Bailie

Apr 5, 2013, 11:23:41 AM4/5/13
to rb...@googlegroups.com
IIRC the coder for the version of bdb being used died in a fire in france quite some time ago now, rendering the state of affairs as it is. I have moved on from rbot for some time now, but last I remember there was an effort to convert to another database engine as a result. If the coding team is no longer keeping an eye on this list, try the rbot channel on freenode is your best bet.

TX

Phillip Pi

Apr 5, 2013, 12:56:08 PM4/5/13
to rb...@googlegroups.com
Thanks and so sad for the coder for bdb. I assume he was the only one
working on it. :( I really hope rbot developers get back into the
project since the project seems to be dead.

--
Quote of the Week: "All good work is done the way ants do things: Little by little." --Lafcadio Hearn
/\___/\ Phil./Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | E-mail: phi...@earthlink.net/a...@zimage.com
\ _ / If crediting, then please kindly use Ant nickname
( ) and AQFL URL/link.

Trejkaz X

Apr 5, 2013, 8:42:25 PM4/5/13
to rb...@googlegroups.com
To answer my own question...

It turned out that 0.6.7 and 0.6.6 didn't work but 0.6.5 still works. The instructions were saying "latest version" but I guess the latest two versions have broken something seriously.
The hint was when I was searching around for working build instructions, I found that the gentoo ebuilds only went up to 0.6.5.

TX