Re: [Lxde-list] Qt-based fontconfig management gui?

PCMan

Mar 9, 2014, 11:33:20 AM3/9/14
to Jerome Leclanche, lxde-list, razo...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in this, but I don't really know how to setup
fontconfig correctly.
Its rules are just too complicated.
The rules can be combined with AND, OR operations, and can contain nested rules.
I don't think that it's possible to create any full-featured yet
easy-to-use GUI for it,
A simple font installer is possible, though.

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Jerome Leclanche <ady...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been looking thoroughly at font configuration and I cannot for
> the life of me find any fontconfig gui other than the awful, awful
> "font-manager" from gnome.
>
> Does anyone know a project with solid foundations we could look at? Or
> is anyone up to the task?
>
> J. Leclanche

Petr Vaněk

Mar 9, 2014, 3:12:49 PM3/9/14
to lxde-list, razo...@googlegroups.com

Jerome Leclanche

Mar 30, 2014, 11:51:52 AM3/30/14
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
Apparently fontmatrix depends on qtwebkit. This is a dealbreaker.
J. Leclanche
> --
> --
> "Razor-qt" group.
> email to razor-qt+u...@googlegroups.com.

Jerome Leclanche

Mar 30, 2014, 12:30:26 PM3/30/14
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
Also after actually trying it out, its not a fontconfig management
gui, its a font preview and management app.

The main idea is to have a lxqt-font-config app where you can:
- Manage fonts
- Set the default fonts
- Set antialiasing properties
J. Leclanche

PCMan

Mar 30, 2014, 2:54:40 PM3/30/14
On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Jerome Leclanche <ady...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also after actually trying it out, its not a fontconfig management
> gui, its a font preview and management app.
>
> The main idea is to have a lxqt-font-config app where you can:
> - Manage fonts
This part may be stolen from kde.
Editing xml fontconfig rules is too difficult and it's not possible to
create an easy-to-use UI for the task.
Creating a simple tool to install/uninstall truetype fonts is possible.
Policykit can be used to gain root access so we can install the font
files to the system-wide font dir.
Many people claim that fonts should be packaged, this will never work
since you cannot package proprietary fonts.
So an installation tool for *.ttf files is a must-have.
Also it will be cool if the tool can auto-detect an existing Windows
installation and import the fonts in it.

> - Set the default fonts
> - Set antialiasing properties

Shouldn't these belong to lxqt-config-appearance?
Besides, the default fonts are GUI toolkit specific.

Cheers

Jerome Leclanche

Mar 30, 2014, 4:03:20 PM3/30/14
On Sun, Mar 30, 2014 at 7:54 PM, PCMan <pcma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 12:30 AM, Jerome Leclanche <ady...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also after actually trying it out, its not a fontconfig management
>> gui, its a font preview and management app.
>>
>> The main idea is to have a lxqt-font-config app where you can:
>> - Manage fonts
> This part may be stolen from kde.
> Editing xml fontconfig rules is too difficult and it's not possible to
> create an easy-to-use UI for the task.
> Creating a simple tool to install/uninstall truetype fonts is possible.
> Policykit can be used to gain root access so we can install the font
> files to the system-wide font dir.

We should not install fonts system-wide. User-specific font paths work
just fine.

> Many people claim that fonts should be packaged, this will never work
> since you cannot package proprietary fonts.
> So an installation tool for *.ttf files is a must-have.

There is packaging and packaging. "Packaging" doesn't care whether the
font is classified, under NDA, closed source, DRM'd and encrypted;
it's just files. Now if you want it to be installable from debian,
sure.
I completely agree we need the functionality to install a font
(locally)... but as far as shipping goes, there's no reason we should
pull in fonts ourselves; let the distro recommend a default font to
the user (or X11).

> Also it will be cool if the tool can auto-detect an existing Windows
> installation and import the fonts in it.

This is a cool idea and I might write a script for that, but I don't
think it's in scope.

gary sheppard

Mar 30, 2014, 4:30:32 PM3/30/14
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
As a user, I would very much like to have a "base package" setup of LXDE that comes with some relatively nice defaults. Often, people relatively new to linux will as a friend "what desktop 'thingy' is best?" And we will always try to touch several bases. They will fire up whatever package manager comes in Distro-X, and away they go. A long time ago, I used to really enjoy Fluxbox. Semi recently I installed it just for grins...I had forgot how much effort went into my old Flux desktops....heh! So, having a relatively nice, sane, set of defaults would probably be a really good idea. Especially since linux is getting more and more attention. Valves has Steam for linux in the works generating interest, Windows  8 seems to be a missfire for MS, XP is all but dead, and MS is beating people over the head to move Up to Win8...

Now is a good time to be an old time linux user! That said, now is also a great time for projects like this one! :) I really like what you are doing here!

Gary