Installing LXQt on an Ubuntu (or derived) system

Julien Lavergne

Nov 1, 2013, 1:29:30 PM11/1/13
to LXDE mailing list, razo...@googlegroups.com, lubuntu user list
Hi,

For people you need an LXQt environment to develop, test or report bugs, you can now use an Ubuntu system to make it by following the instructions below :

Install a command line lubuntu system using alternate (but you can also use any method to install a Ubuntu or derivated system)
sudo apt-get install software-properties-common (to add add-apt-repository)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lubuntu-dev/lubuntu-daily (Adding daily build of LXDE component)
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gilir/q-project (temporary PPA for Qt components)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install lxqt-metapackage
Reboot
Log-in to LXDE-QT Session (A Lubuntu Qt session will be available soon)

There is still many issues, but that should give you a working environment to start to fix them ;-) All the packages and code inside will be unstable for a while, so don't try it on a production system (using a VM is probably a good idea).

Know issues :
- I'm using lightdm-gtk-greeter, because I don't know any functional Qt display manager available on Ubuntu which doesn't bring half of KDE components
- If the theme is horrible, try to switch it using qtconfig-qt4

All packages are build daily, so any updates made on git repo will be includes in those packages.

For people using Debian, you can use the debian directories if you want to build quick packages. There are located on launchpad : https://code.launchpad.net/~lubuntu-dev (look at *-debian branches). Please note that it's temporary debian directories, proper ones should be done when lxqt will be suitable for inclusion in Debian.

Let me know if you have any problems with them. Upstream bugs should be reported on github instead.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne

Mark Deneen

Nov 1, 2013, 4:17:56 PM11/1/13
to Julien Lavergne, LXDE mailing list, razo...@googlegroups.com, lubuntu user list
Are there any plans to build for 12.04? I know that it's kind of old,
but it's the most recent LTS release.

-M

PCMan

Nov 1, 2013, 11:31:57 PM11/1/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 1:29 AM, Julien Lavergne <gi...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
[...]

Please try sddm. It's a pure Qt display manager which has no KDE dependency.
I'm using it now. It's still primitive, but it looks good enough.

- If the theme is horrible, try to switch it using qtconfig-qt4

For some reason, this may require logout and login again.
Some programs do not apply the newly selected style immediately.

All packages are build daily, so any updates made on git repo will be includes in those packages.

Pretty cool! Really thank you for the packaging efforts.
Some of the remaining problems are caused by incomplete renaming from razor to lxqt. I'll finish this part soon. (I'm not available this weekend, but I'll do it next week). Renaming is a boring task, but it's needed. Otherwise the new components will conflict with existing razor-qt ones.

Cheers!

For people using Debian, you can use the debian directories if you want to build quick packages. There are located on launchpad : https://code.launchpad.net/~lubuntu-dev (look at *-debian branches). Please note that it's temporary debian directories, proper ones should be done when lxqt will be suitable for inclusion in Debian.

Let me know if you have any problems with them. Upstream bugs should be reported on github instead.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne

Julien Lavergne

Nov 2, 2013, 5:31:50 AM11/2/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, LXDE mailing list, lubuntu user list

2013/11/1 Mark Deneen <mdenee...@gmail.com>

Are there any plans to build for 12.04?  I know that it's kind of old,
but it's the most recent LTS release.

No, this is for development and testing purpose only, we can't support many distributions for now. It will be reconsidered when lxqt will be a bit more stable.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne

Julien Lavergne

Nov 2, 2013, 5:35:25 AM11/2/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com

2013/11/2 PCMan <pcma...@gmail.com>

Please try sddm. It's a pure Qt display manager which has no KDE dependency.
I'm using it now. It's still primitive, but it looks good enough.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that sddm can't be build on Ubuntu / Debian due to a missing feature in X11 stack. The best short term solution IMO is to fix razor-lightdm-greeter, but it currently doesn't build, see : https://github.com/lxde/lxqt-lightdm-greeter/pull/1

Regards,
Julien Lavergne

chri...@surlykke.dk

Nov 2, 2013, 5:42:13 AM11/2/13
to razor-qt, lxde-list

2013/11/2 Julien Lavergne <julien....@gmail.com>
I hope to fix it this weekend.

br. Chr.

chri...@surlykke.dk

Nov 3, 2013, 4:58:17 PM11/3/13
to razor-qt, lxde-list

2013/11/2 Julien Lavergne <julien....@gmail.com>

2013/11/2 PCMan <pcma...@gmail.com>
Please try sddm. It's a pure Qt display manager which has no KDE dependency.
I'm using it now. It's still primitive, but it looks good enough.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that sddm can't be build on Ubuntu / Debian due to a missing feature in X11 stack. The best short term solution IMO is to fix razor-lightdm-greeter, but it currently doesn't build, see : https://github.com/lxde/lxqt-lightdm-greeter/pull/1

I hope to fix it this weekend.

br. Chr.

I've fixed lxqt-lightdm-greeter so much that it compiles (for me). I'm not yet able to launch neither lxqt nor razor-qt from lightdm with lxqt-lightdm-greeter. lxqt because I've not yet compiled all of it. razor-qt because when I install libqtxdg from lxqt (which, through liblxqt, is needed by lxqt-lightdm-greeter) I get some name collisions or such with the libqtxdg from razor.

I _am_ able to launch an openbox session from lxqt-lightdm-greeter.

I guess (but have not verified) that a fix would be to rename libqtxdg to something else (eg. liblxqtxdg).

I've taken the liberty of adding lxqt-lightdm-greeter as a submodule in https://github.com/lxde/lxde-qt.git

Also I've added a section on lxqt-lightdm-greeter in http://wiki.lxde.org/en/Build_LXDE-Qt_From_Source

Julien Lavergne

Nov 3, 2013, 5:29:28 PM11/3/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
I've fixed lxqt-lightdm-greeter so much that it compiles (for me). I'm not yet able to launch neither lxqt nor razor-qt from lightdm with lxqt-lightdm-greeter. lxqt because I've not yet compiled all of it. razor-qt because when I install libqtxdg from lxqt (which, through liblxqt, is needed by lxqt-lightdm-greeter) I get some name collisions or such with the libqtxdg from razor.

I _am_ able to launch an openbox session from lxqt-lightdm-greeter.

I guess (but have not verified) that a fix would be to rename libqtxdg to something else (eg. liblxqtxdg).

I've taken the liberty of adding lxqt-lightdm-greeter as a submodule in https://github.com/lxde/lxde-qt.git

Also I've added a section on lxqt-lightdm-greeter in http:/2013/11/2 chri...@surlykke.dk <chri...@surlykke.dk>

Thanks, I added it to the daily builds, it should be available soon.

Regards,
Julien Lavergne

Kuzma Shapran

Nov 3, 2013, 6:43:28 PM11/3/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
Some time ago I backported some changes (https://github.com/Razor-qt/razor-qt/commit/b40b701737c9853baac3efec30aed05cd35f7711) from LXQT libqtxdg to Razor libqtxdg, so now it should not matter where you get the library from - LXQT source code or Razor one, they are the same.

Cheers,
Kuzma

Jerome Leclanche

Nov 3, 2013, 6:59:59 PM11/3/13
to razo...@googlegroups.com, lxde-list
One repo should still be marked as official. I'd suggest the LXDE one.
J. Leclanche

Andras Nemeshanyi

May 10, 2014, 10:31:41 AM5/10/14
to razo...@googlegroups.com, LXDE mailing list, lubuntu user list, gi...@ubuntu.com
I found following this that it didn't provide a working session. I installed the lxqt-session as well and now it does work (sudo apt-get install lxqt-session)