1.42u kit won't sync or use DHCP

Scott Davis

Nov 4, 2013, 7:58:54 PM11/4/13
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Hi, finished the kit. It passed all the tests. When it's connected it can't find the network. It also won't sync time. I can go to non DHCP as it does show on the router and program it just fine but I want it DHCP and NTP synched. I've checked chip alignment, soldering with a magnifying glass, everything I can think of with no success. Love some ideas where to start looking. Thanks

Rayshobby

Nov 5, 2013, 3:50:20 PM11/5/13
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Does it work with static ip (i.e. can you access the controller homepage when it's on static ip)? If it can get connected with static ip, but can't do ntp sync, you may need to check your router and see whether the ntp port (123) has been blocked for some reason. If you can't access the homepage, you should check the recent thread on the forum where I helped a user to diagnose a similar problem:

On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Scott Davis <spd...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, finished the kit. It passed all the tests. When it's connected it can't find the network. It also won't sync time. I can go to non DHCP as it does show on the router and program it just fine but I want it DHCP and NTP synched. I've checked chip alignment, soldering with a magnifying glass, everything I can think of with no success. Love some ideas where to start looking. Thanks

-Ray

Scott Davis

Nov 6, 2013, 5:14:04 PM11/6/13
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Yes a static ip allows access to the homepage where it can be programmed. It holds the program when turned on and off. I found that NTP was not enabled on the router and after enabled it still won't sync or operate in DHCP. I'll go through the soldering again, some look dodgy under a magnifier.

Rayshobby

Nov 6, 2013, 9:08:00 PM11/6/13
to rays...@googlegroups.com
If static ip works, that means the Ethernet controller is working correctly. NTP sync should work independent of DHCP or static ip. I am pretty sure the problem is not in soldering. It sounds like more of a router setting issue. What kind of router are you using?

-Ray

Scott Davis

Nov 7, 2013, 2:56:31 PM11/7/13
to rays...@googlegroups.com
It's a trendnet router. b-g-n. I think it's junk. I'm resetting it several times a week and it wouldn't surprise me a bit if it's either the settings or the router. but i have plugged the opensprinkler directly to the modem. still no DHCP or sync.
Message has been deleted

Rayshobby

Nov 9, 2013, 8:24:55 PM11/9/13
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Honestly I don't know. As I said, since static IP is working, it means the Ethernet controller is working fine. I don't know why DHCP and NTP sync do not work in this case. It's not an issue I've seen previously. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure when you use static IP, you also need to set the correct gateway (i.e. router) IP in the options.