v1.4u won't connect to network

ramblin' guy

Oct 10, 2012, 10:21:27 PM10/10/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
I finally have my 1.4u all assembled and fired up and it apparently isn't connecting to my LAN. I'm plugging it right into my router. No lights on router. No lites on rj45 connector. Whatever I did wrong, I must have done it four times because I have four boards that are doing the same thing. When it fires up it says "connecting to the network...". When I look at the ip settings they are 0:0:0:0 Port: 80.

Not sure where to start with debugging this one. Any ideas?

Ray

Oct 11, 2012, 10:41:34 AM10/11/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
No light on rj45 is a bad sign, but this happening on all four boards is not a bad sign because if you solve for one you probably solve for all.

I recall that you bought the bare pcbs and not the kit. So this may be a component issue. Did you happen to substitute any part from the part list? Some parts that came to my mind are the rj45 connector, crystals, resistors connected to ENC28J60 etc. Please re-check these components.

ramblin' guy

Oct 14, 2012, 4:55:15 PM10/14/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the response.  You, sir, have an excellent memory.  I think the most obvious place to start would be the RJ45.  I bought Starjack J00-0065NL1 port 10/100's from Digikey because I think that I read in the comments section of the P/N on your list from sparkfun that this jack was the one they were shipping (equivalent) to the PR-08534.  This might be a bad assumption.  I take it that RJ45's might not function the same?

Jim

Ray

Oct 14, 2012, 7:11:34 PM10/14/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Ah, you definitely cannot assume they are the same. In fact, I've bought at least 5 types of RJ45 jacks in the past, and none of them has the same internal wirings... You really have to check the datasheet very carefully. If you take a look at the datasheets of the two:
you will see that the pin connects are very different.

ramblin' guy

Oct 19, 2012, 1:54:11 PM10/19/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ray,

I received the PR-08534 and got it soldered into the board.  I'm planning on trying it out this weekend to see if that does the trick, but I'm pretty sure it will.  Is there an equivalent jack to the PR-08534 from someone else but Sparkfun?  They're backordered on these things til oblivion and I can't find anyone else who carries Morethanall MJF13T3L-KF06B3YG-0808 connectors.  I tried looking up RJ45 connectors with transformers, but there's about a jillion of them and I'm worried I'll get the wrong thing again.

Thanks,

Jim

Ray

Oct 19, 2012, 2:53:37 PM10/19/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Not sure. You should ask SparkFun for equivalent parts. The best way is probably to check datasheets carefully.

ramblin' guy

Oct 23, 2012, 8:02:44 PM10/23/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
I got it to work!  Awesome!  Now I need to reflash v1.8 and integrate it into my sprinkler system.  Too bad sprinkling season is ending here in Michigan, but I'm looking forward to using this next year.  Now I have to integrate it into my MiCasaVerde Vera2.

Side note:  Sparkfun just got in 1400+ of the RJ45 jacks, so buy, buy, buy if you want them.  I got 3.

Thanks,

Jim

Ray

Oct 24, 2012, 11:59:55 PM10/24/12