What EXACTLY to delete so 1.8 will compile on OS X?

ubestbsteppin

Oct 15, 2012, 10:18:12 AM10/15/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Ray,

I tried deleting the http GET options from 1.8.1 so that it would compile on OS X. It worked, but performance seemed painfully slow. Start up was slow (30 seconds) until anything appeared on the screen), network connection was slow (10+ minutes), and page loads were slow on the web interface. I'm guessing I removed something I shouldn't have removed that is causing the slow down. Could you post exactly what to remove to allow the firmware to compile? Maybe you could even post different options by removing different features. Or even precompiled firmware with certain options removed. Thanks.

Ray

Oct 17, 2012, 12:00:56 AM10/17/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
If you have OpenSprinkler v1.1 hardware, please follow the post at the top to re-program the fuse bits. This was discovered just a few days ago, so you may not have noticed it. Here is the irect link:
Let me know if this solves the problem.

ubestbsteppin

Oct 18, 2012, 5:03:22 PM10/18/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Ray,

Unfortunately that didn't work. Still takes about 20 minutes to get an IP address and the clock slowly falls behind actual time.

Ray

Oct 18, 2012, 5:35:06 PM10/18/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
I have never compiled firmware 1.8.1 on Mac, so I don't know what problems to expect. I just tried the pre-compiled 1.8.1 on my OpenSprinkler v1.1 and everything seems to be working fine.

How behind is the clock? If it's significantly behind, you must have changed the mcu frequency for some reason, most likely because during compilation you did not select OpenSprinkler as the target board. In any case, I suggest you try the pre-compiled version first.

ubestbsteppin

Oct 18, 2012, 8:18:11 PM10/18/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I just tried the precompiled firmware on both Mac and Windows and both have the same issue. What else can I try? Commenting out functions and uploading via arduino ide also leads to the same issue. The clock starts out about 5 seconds behind and has gradually increased to about 20 seconds behind over the last few hours.

Ray

Oct 18, 2012, 8:30:37 PM10/18/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
What did you set the fuse bits to? The clock issue is most likely because you set the mcu to use internal clock and I assume you don't have RTC yet. If you set the mcu to use external crystal the clock should be ok.

But your main question is whether the Ethernet works. Does it work now?

ubestbsteppin

Oct 18, 2012, 8:38:29 PM10/18/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Ethernet works, but takes 20 minutes to find an IP address. I set the fuse bits using the command on the website:

avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p -B 250 -F -U lfuse:w:0xff:m -U hfuse:w:0xd1:m -U efuse:w:0x06:m

I don't have RTC. How do I set the MCU correctly?

Ray

Oct 18, 2012, 8:51:57 PM10/18/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I have no idea now. I have the same hardware (I assume you have v1.1) and running the same firmware with the same fuse bits, and it's working fine for me.

The only thing I can suggest is to use static ip instead of DHCP.

ubestbsteppin

Oct 22, 2012, 11:06:35 AM10/22/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Ray,

I've still had no luck with this. The only other thing I can think of is the fact that this chip is a brand new 328-pu. I remember when flashing previous versions of the firmware I had to use optiboot bootloader. Could this be the issue?

Ray

Oct 22, 2012, 11:36:16 PM10/22/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
To use a new ATmega328, you need to set the fuse bits first:
avrdude -c usbtiny -p m328p -B 250 -F -U lfuse:w:0xff:m -U hfuse:w:0xd1:m -U efuse:w:0x06:m
you said you've run this command, what's the output you are getting?

ubestbsteppin

Nov 6, 2012, 6:16:35 PM11/6/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Yes. The output said it was successful. So, bootloader loads correctly, fuses burn correctly, firmware uploads correctly. Still have the problem. Any other ideas?

Ray

Nov 7, 2012, 5:16:09 PM11/7/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
I really hope to help you, but at the moment I have no clue. As I said previously, I have the same hardware, running the same firmware with the same fuse bits, and I do not have the problem you described. These are the only things I can think of that have to do with clock problem: 1) external resonator is not 8MHz (assuming you bought the DIY kit from us this should be correct); 2) the fuse bits are set wrong (according to you, the fuse bits are set correctly); 3) the program is compiled under configuration other than 8MHz (since you uploaded the pre-compiled firmware, this shouldn't be an issue either). So I am sorry that I don't have a clue.

ubestbsteppin

Nov 15, 2012, 2:25:23 PM11/15/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
Ok. So what are my options? The controller isn't very useful to me if it can't keep proper time.

Ray

Nov 17, 2012, 10:37:05 PM11/17/12
to rays...@googlegroups.com
I've replied to you directly to offer help. Please check your email.