Using RAxML or ExaML with features instead of dna or porteins

fhilde

Aug 20, 2021, 3:24:10 AM8/20/21
to raxml
Hi everyone, I'm quite new to phylogeny but I am trying to construct a tree based on presence absence of certain long terminal repeats. As far as I understood the manual only files that follow the IUPAC code are accepted. While I can easily convert my 0,1 presence, absence matrix into an alignment with only two bases like A and T and format it rightly, I am unsure if this is something RAxML or ExaML can handle well since it's an estimator and maybe not suited for this homogeneous data? Help would be really appreciated.

Cheers Felix

Pfeiffer, Wayne

Aug 20, 2021, 3:57:45 AM8/20/21
to ra...@googlegroups.com, Pfeiffer, Wayne
Hi Felix,

Both RAxML8 and RAxML-NG accept binary data with 0s and 1s. For example,

  -m BINGAMMA in RAxML8

and

  --model BIN+G+F in RAxML-NG.

More information for RAxML-NG is at

Good luck!

Wayne

On Aug 20, 2021, at 12:24 AM, fhilde <fhilde...@hotmail.de> wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm quite new to phylogeny but I am trying to construct a tree based on presence absence of certain long terminal repeats. As far as I understood the manual only files that follow the IUPAC code are accepted. While I can easily convert my 0,1 presence, absence matrix into an alignment with only two bases like A and T and format it rightly, I am unsure if this is something RAxML or ExaML can handle well since it's an estimator and maybe not suited for this homogeneous data? Help would be really appreciated.

Cheers Felix

Alexey Kozlov

Aug 25, 2021, 8:16:38 AM8/25/21
to ra...@googlegroups.com