problem with memory

Pablo V

Aug 16, 2022, 4:09:00 PM8/16/22
to raxml

Hi,

I have been trying to calculate the bootstrap for a phylogeny of ~200 bacterial genomes. However, I cannot manage to obtain any results. So far, I have tried it three times using the following commands:

raxmlHPC-PTHREADS-SSE3 -s Agro_tax_217_fna_concatenated.aln -n tree_w_bootstraps -f a -m GTRCAT -# 100 -p 1989 -x 1989 T 8

raxmlHPC-PTHREADS-SSE3 -s Agro_tax_217_fna_concatenated.aln -n tree_w_bootstraps2 -f a -m GTRCAT -# 100 -p 1989 -x 1989 T 4

raxmlHPC-PTHREADS-SSE3 -s Agro_tax_217_fna_concatenated.aln -n tree_w_50b00tstraps -f a -m GTRCAT -N 10 -p 1989 -x 1989 T 2

I eventually get the following error message:

zsh: killed raxmlHPC-PTHREADS-SSE3 -s Agro_tax_217_fna_concatenated.aln -n -f a -m GTRCA

zsh: killed raxmlHPC-PTHREADS-SSE3 -s Agro_tax_217_fna_concatenated.aln -n -f a -m GTRCA

zsh: killed raxmlHPC-PTHREADS-SSE3 -s Agro_tax_217_fna_concatenated.aln -n -f a -m GTRCA

When I ran the command the first time, the procedure finished all 100 bootstrapping and was on the Fast ML tree optimisation. The second time I ran the command, the procedure was on the 51st bootstrapping.

I assume that the problem has to do with the memory, but I am not sure how to fix it exactly. Is there an option that could help with memory use? I am running the package in a laptop MacBook Air (processor: 1,6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, and memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3) and I am using an external disk for storing the output files.

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,
Pablo

Alexandros Stamatakis

Aug 16, 2022, 11:57:12 PM8/16/22
to ra...@googlegroups.com
At:

https://cme.h-its.org/exelixis/web/software/raxml/index.html

there is a little web form for calculating the mem reqs of a RAxML analysis.

Alexis

--
Alexandros (Alexis) Stamatakis

Research Group Leader, Heidelberg Institute for Theoretical Studies
Full Professor, Dept. of Informatics, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
Affiliated Scientist, Evolutionary Genetics and Paleogenomics (EGP) lab,
Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Foundation for
Research and Technology Hellas

www.exelixis-lab.org