Model Partition in RAxML-NG Tree Calculation

EB Wong

Sep 12, 2022, 3:47:31 AM9/12/22
to raxml
Hi,

I am creating model partition files for all my concatenated alignments, but wondering about the way RAxML-NG treated the partitions.
Say if there are 3 genes in the concatenated alignment, each with 100 bases, the first two are to be specified with model A and the third one with model B.

I have been splitting the models for each of the partition (as in ModelFile1).
Wondering will there be any difference in the tree calculation if the consecutively same models being combined as single model partition (as in ModelFile2)?

Does RAxML-NG apply the models independently in each site for the tree calculation, that it does not impact much even when the partitions being combined?

Sample partitioned model files for RAxML-NG
ModelFile1:
LG, gene1=1-100
LG, gene2=101-200
WAG, gene3=201-300

ModelFile 2:
LG, gene1gene2=1-200
WAG, gene3=201-300

Thank you,
Bhei

Alexey Kozlov

Sep 12, 2022, 7:47:06 AM9/12/22
to ra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

combining multiple genes with the same substitution model into a single partition would result in
joint estimation of free model parameters (e.g., alpha parameter for +G). So in general, it will
make a difference for likelihood computation, except if there are no free parameters to estimate.

Please see here for details:

https://github.com/amkozlov/raxml-ng/wiki/Tutorial#partitioned-analysis

https://github.com/amkozlov/raxml-ng/wiki/Input-data#multiple-models