Planning for Pharmacy Module, design questions

John Stoecker

Jul 3, 2012, 1:33:03 AM7/3/12
to sunil sonthalia, Surajit Nundy, Nathan Leiby, <raxa-jss-emr-pharmacy@googlegroups.com>, Durgaprasad Vemula
Hi Sunil, just looking for a little information on how pharmacies work at JSS. We are building an inventory management system for all medication --

Should we track drugs by pill or by container?  Are there liquid drugs that should be tracked by bottle or fraction of liquid in bottle?  (parallel to individual pills)

Using pills as example.  Drug is in one of four states.

State 1:  Ordered from manufacturer, but has not arrived yet.

State 2:  Drug onsite in a pharmacy, but not assigned to prescription.

State 3:  Drug onsite in a pharmacy, and assigned to prescription.
(Should stock quantities be decremented at this point?  If prescription is voided, pills are returned to stock.)

State 4:  Drug in prescription picked up by patient.
(Stock quantities definitely decremented by this point.  No pills can be returned to stock after exiting pharmacy.)