GSoc '14 - Health Device Communication

Ujjwal Arora

Mar 17, 2014, 3:07:40 AM3/17/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
Hello all

I am Ujjwal, 4th year student, studying computer Engineering at Delhi Technological University (DCE), India. I was exploring Raxa and OpenMRS since few months. It would be great opportunity if I get to contribute to Raxa. I am familiar with OpenMRS and also done few contributions to OpenMRS.

The project Health Device Communication is very similar to one I have done earlier - Secure Body Sensor using raspberry pi and Android, in which we developed a prototype of health sensor using raspberry pi and accelerometer and developed a mobile app which connects with and transfer data securely over bluetooth. It was used to monitor body temperature and posture. My role was mainly around the mobile app and encryption part.

I had already done a extensive research on low cost body sensors which can be connected to mobile over bluetooth. Would share that in proposal.

How to contact Surajit Nundy ?

Thanks

Ujjwal Arora

Mar 17, 2014, 5:22:17 AM3/17/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
But, as this a hardware project, how much chance it has to be selected in GSoC ?

Should I start making proposal ?

Ujjwal Arora

Mar 17, 2014, 5:32:34 AM3/17/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
Do we intend to provide the health device or expect the patient to buy it himself ?

Ujjwal Arora

Mar 17, 2014, 5:45:26 AM3/17/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
This webpage provides collection of commercially available wireless health monitors - https://wockets.wikispaces.com/WirelessMonitors

Sadly, I couldn't find one available in India

John Stoecker

Mar 18, 2014, 2:11:49 AM3/18/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com, raxa-gsoc
Hi Ujjwal,
Happy Holi. Great to hear of your interest, it seems that your experience will help with this project.

We want to only use existing devices -- your work should be in determining device bluetooth API, and connecting these devices to your phone and OpenMRS. You shouldn't have to do any actual hardware/soldering work, as the deliverable is the app itself.

Yes, do start with the proposal. The earlier it is on GSoC, the earlier we can give feedback.

We intend to work with devices the patient already has.

As a start, I might visit your local clinic to see what devices their patients are using here in Delhi.

Ujjwal Arora

Mar 20, 2014, 11:26:14 AM3/20/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
Hi John

I have submitted the proposal for the project. Please review, when free.

Ujjwal Arora

Apr 4, 2014, 5:34:56 PM4/4/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com
Hi John

Please give some review about the proposal whenever you find time.
I would like to discuss the further plan sometime.

John Stoecker

Apr 6, 2014, 12:04:57 PM4/6/14
to raxa-jss-em...@googlegroups.com, raxa-gsoc
Hi Ujjwal, we are currently in discussions about what we want from GSoC based on the student proposals. If we need further information, we will let you know. Thanks.