Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

bookworm

da leggere,
3 giu 2012, 11:27:4803/06/12
a rawscripts
Just joined this group. Fantastic app with a lot of potential.

I can probably help too. I'm a tech writer, who works in the tech
industry, and I an pitch in writing external (customer) documentation
as needed. My coding skill are pretty mediocre now, unfortunately, but
I'm spreading the word to as many developers I know, who might be
interested in pitching in.

Thanks for kicking this off,

Erik

Ritchie Wilson

da leggere,
3 giu 2012, 12:45:1403/06/12
a rawsc...@googlegroups.com
That's awesome. Right now the only documentation around is for
developers ( docs.rawscripts.org ) and even that is limited. There's
really nothing in the way of customer docs. But with a couple of weeks
between school and summer school, this could be a good time to get
that going. I guess setting up a wiki....? Any broad suggestions for
what is most needed or how to do it -- that'd be much appreciated.

Let me know how I can help you, and please do pass the word around.

Cheers
Ritchie
--
Ritchie
rawil...@gmail.com

Erik Ruvalcaba

da leggere,
4 giu 2012, 21:48:0604/06/12
a rawsc...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ritchie,

Yeah, a wiki could work. Would you want this open for anyone to add and edit or would do you think articles should only be authored by 'RawScripts experts'?  I'd recommend that latter (at least for now). You might consider setting up some forum where users can help other users down the line, but you might want to maintain some control over the 'official wiki' as the expert source of help content.

The product is pretty intuitive right now. Users can probably figure out most things on their own. The more complicated stuff to explain, I think, would be how notes work (are they attached to a version, what's their relation to sharing, etc.), sharing (do collaborators see previous versions, can they copy new scripts based on that--generally, what kind of permissions are there if I share a script), how tags work, and perhaps how to deal with imports best.

Down the line, you (we) might think about contextual help-- that is, baking more help into the UI with tooltips and perhaps widgets in the UI that can show a list of articles related what the user is trying to do.

The bigger thing right now, IMHO, is getting the product migrated out of AppEngine (as you mentioned) and to build richer features.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts...

Erik

Ritchie Wilson

da leggere,
8 giu 2012, 16:50:4508/06/12
a rawsc...@googlegroups.com
So, slightly for fun, I just set up a wiki at
http://wiki.rawscripts.org. It's open and running, but it looks like
it will be slightly too much admin work for me to take on right now.
I'd love anyone to contribute, but I'm not all that familiar with
MediaWiki and I'm doing a lot of banging my head against the wall.

At the very least, that was interesting to see the good and bad of
installing webapps. Changing options through a web interface like
Wordpress or Owncloud is awesome. Changing options though emacs and
ssh like MediaWiki is a huge pain in the ass.

So for the moment I'm glad you think the webapp is pretty intuitive to
use. And youre right, notes and sharing are the things I get questions
on because they're slightly more confusing and could use some better
language, metaphors, or tutorials.

But
--
Ritchie
rawil...@gmail.com

Erik Ruvalcaba

da leggere,
11 giu 2012, 17:46:0711/06/12
a rawsc...@googlegroups.com
Wow, excellent work, man!  Yeah, totally feel your pain with emacs and ssh. I'll start poking around and seeing if I can add content to it... though I'm not nearly a product expert yet.

Erik

John Passananti

da leggere,
16 dic 2012, 09:55:3216/12/12
a rawsc...@googlegroups.com

Hello,

I just joined the group after using rawscripts for a couple of months; I'm not exactly sure how google groups works yet :/
I would love being able to read some of the work of other members and possibly collaborate on a project in the future, so feel free to email me.

Respectfully,
J.Passananti
Rispondi a tutti
Rispondi all'autore