New features

Iqbal Ali

Mar 22, 2012, 5:38:50 PM3/22/12
to rawsc...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys
Congrats on the project. Raw Scripts is awesome. I can see a heck of a lot of potential. I've downloaded the code and am trying to get my head around it to see how I can help (hopefully I can contribute to the great work you've done so far).

Couple of things to make this application even better:
1) The normal courier font you are using doesn't seem to be the correct font. I tried it with one of my scripts and compared against final draft. My script turns out ten pages longer when using your program than using Final Draft.

See Fonts section of the following site for what I think is the correct font...
http://www.fadeinpro.com/page.pl?content=download
...or alternatively search and download Courier Final Draft. I believed it can be loaded on 'most' browsers via...
@font-face {
font-family: "My Custom Font";
src: url(http://www.example.org/mycustomfont.ttf) format("truetype");

...maybe a fallback to the font you are currently using for unsupported browsers.

- Another feature to get people using it more? You could link directly to users dropbox accounts to store the script files. Screenwriters are a very paranoid bunch of people and not storing their scripts yourselves means they can be sure that the scripts are backed up safely and also, that no unscrupulous types are going to steal there script(s).

As I mentioned, I am trying to go through the code of your site (I know a little django and am hoping the skills than transfer to flask), and I hope I can contribute and help. But I wanted to thank you for your work on this so far. I have a Chromebook and would love to use your app on it.

Ritchie Wilson

Mar 23, 2012, 12:13:00 PM3/23/12
to rawsc...@googlegroups.com
(thanks for getting this out of the forums!)

1) I have been looking for a good, Courier-like font. That Bitstream Courier Screenplay seems to fit the bill. The only other thing to consider is that adding fonts to the the software means, we're distributing fonts. That means copyright licences are important. So for example, Courier Final Draft is out of the question. Bitstream Courier Screenplay looks like it should work just fine, but I'd like to get someone like the FSF to back me up on that. Could also look at Nimbus Mono. But if you want to work on changing fonts, I say go for it! In the browser, the screenplay is rendered in a <canvas>  so check out these files to get going:
/rawscripts/resources/screenplay/static/js/editor.js
/rawscripts/resources/screenplay/static/js/draw.js
/rawscripts/resources/screenplay/templates/editor.html

And PDF's are created with a pure python library called ReportLab. I know you give it arbitrary fonts to use, but that's all i know.

2) Changing the font won't change the length of your screenplay when printed. Rawscripts does all the work of figuring out where to wrap lines of text, where page breaks ought to be, and all that. If it's off (shit, 10 pages?) then it's a problem in our code. Here's where you can find the browser renderer (well documented) and the PDF render (not well documented):
/rawscripts/resources/screenplay/static/js/calc.js
/rawscripts/export.py

3) Backups definitely are on the list of things to do. If that's something you wanted to work on, here are a couple of things to consider. First, keep in mind that people might want to backup to Dropbox, or Google Docs, or OwnCloud, or any other place. So build your Dropbox integration, but make it as extensible as possible. Hopefully when someone comes along and wants to build OwnCloud integration, they can just drop in a file or two and hook into your backup system. The other thing is what files you actually want to backup. You'll want to backup the file in a way that you can later import it back into any screenwriting software. At the moment the only thing that works is a .txt file. Rawscripts can create them in a way that's usable by FD, Celtx, Rawscripts, and probabaly others. I'd use that format at minimum.

4) If you're not using Rawscripts on your chrombook, you can. It's running at rawscripts.com. An easy link to it is also in chrome webstore here https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bmnfbjppbmnpihagbhlicmdohnjhompa

Parts of flask, like the templating system, should look almost identical to django. Other parts, not so much. But it should be pretty quick to learn, and the Flask documentation is great. And If youve got questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Ritchie
Message has been deleted

Ritchie Wilson

Mar 31, 2012, 10:42:09 PM3/31/12
to rawsc...@googlegroups.com
I should have pointed you to these instructions if you havn't seen them already:
That should take you through getting the code running locally. That should be good for Linux and Mac -- Windows seems to be having some yet unidentified problems. If you have any problems or insights, this is a good place to throw down what you've come acrross.

As for webintents: I'm still getting my head around it, but here are my initial thoughts. It looks promising, and could be a way implement a backup system. However no one is supporting it yet because the specification is still in flux. To get this working, Dropbox or Owncloud or Google Docs need to add support, for which there are no clear plans.

Also, it looks like the idea for webintents is for one time actions but not for syncing or continuous backups. For that, you might want to check out unhosted.org. It is another new project without a ton of support I'm trying to get my head around, but it looks more in line for what you might want to accomplish.

Cheers
Ritchie

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 8:13 PM, <iq...@iqbala.com> wrote:
Thanks. In terms of backup, I was thinking of looking into web-intents. It looks pretty interesting. Read more about it here...

http://webintents.org/

I'll have a go at doing this myself. Though am still struggling to get the raw scripts running on my local machine. I'm going to try again hopefully this weekend. I've only just started doing development so might be a little slow in getting my head around it.

But am going through flask documentation as we speak.

Thanks Richie. This is a great project. I have used rawscripts on chromebook through the web store and it works pretty well.

--
Ritchie

esquinas

Jun 26, 2012, 5:34:32 PM6/26/12
to rawsc...@googlegroups.com
I have an idea for a new feature.

What about an implementation of the fountain format? http://fountain.io/

Thanks.

bookworm

Jun 27, 2012, 2:18:55 AM6/27/12
to rawsc...@googlegroups.com
I think what you're asking for (and correct me if I'm wrong) is support for the *.format markup language. That is, you want to be able to import Fountain files into RawScripts, right?

The skinny on Fountain for the group: Fountain is a markup language for screenplay formatting. You can use any text editor with the specific Fountain markup to indicate the kind of formatting you need. Fountain is not an app itself, there's nothing to install--it's simply a markup language.

The formatting is applied later when importing a *.fountain file into some other application, like Final Draft. Surprisingly, while Final Draft doesn't natively support the Fountain markup language, it imports quite well--though imperfectly--and applies the desired formatting based on the markup in the text file. Other apps can interpret *.fountain files as well, like Movie Magic Screenwriter.

Ritchie Wilson

Jun 27, 2012, 3:10:38 PM6/27/12
to rawsc...@googlegroups.com
Cool, fountain.io looks great. I try to keep up on open standards for
screenplays and there's a lot of junk. That's the first that looks
like a simple, full-featured solution with some backing behind it. I'm
in.

At the very least we should make RawScripts able to import and export
.fountain files. Looks like the original parser was written in Xcode,
but it's getting ported to other languages. I don't see python. Any
help with that?

Just as a little reminder, RawScripts can currently import and export
text files of a screenplay in formats that work well with Final Draft,
Celtx, and others. That was one of the first things I built into the
software, but that was years ago with no clear standards. It's just
what generally works. Fountain.io looks much, much better.

Thanks for pointing that out
Ritchie
--
Ritchie